Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCHF?

Any lchf, ketogenic eaters here?

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

@robwhy

I aim for under 20 net, occasional cheat to 40. I've never done a ketone dip, but I presume much of my burn is keto. I do IF also...patterned around my work schedule.

There are a LOT of LCHF-IF people here...usually getting harassed by the 'calories-in calories-out' crowd 🙂

Rob K

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer

I have been a bit on and off since I started into the diet about 4 weeks ago. My birthday and a few other things spoiled it a bit but I am trying to get back on track. Doesn't take much to get out of ketosis and takes a few days to get back in it again.

If I let myself have 1 cheat it takes me a few days to really get back into ketosis.

If you want to read up on it in more detail I would suggest this website: http://eatingacademy.com/

Best Answer
0 Votes

I believe member @carl669 is on a LCHF diet, I'm sure he'll provide some insight on this. Smiley Wink

Also, Ilso found this Keto thread and this LCHF thread on our Forums. Hope it helps! Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

yep.  LCHF for the past 3 years.  lost about 100 lbs the first year and have maintained it since then.

any specific questions you'd like to ask?

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

I have done the LCHF diet but I find it is too difficult to maintain for me personally. I did lose a lot of weight with little to no effort, so I know it can be an effective way to lose weight fairly quickly. I did gain most of what I lost back. The first time I did the Atkins diet back in high school. Lost 45lbs in 3 months, kept it off for 4 years but went off to college and gained it all back. Second time I did LCHF was 2 years ago. Again lost most of the weight in 3 months, only maintained for 1 year and gained it all plus some back.

Some tips. 

-Buy some Keto Strips, the kind a diabetic would use. This will help you first know when you are in ketosis and two, maintain ketosis for longer especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. 

-Baby wipes help for well you'll figure this one out, I would keep some at work, single ply toliet paper does not feel too good after a while. 😉

-Be sure to drink plenty of water, I would track that even more closely than the food you consume. You can become dehydrated fairly quickly especially early on with this diet as your body begins adjusting. 

-Do no neglect carbs or be completely fearful of them. I realize you are trying to cut carbs with this diet but it is not about getting rid of them all together, even if that is a goal, it is better to learn to restrict them and live with them then to ban them outright. Certain food groups have carbs, learn the difference between food groups, learn the difference in carbs and what net carbs are. I think this is where I made the mistake. I was down around 10 net carbs a day. I barely ate veggies and never ate fruit. While the begginning of this diet calls for you to do this you slowly have to start eating them again as you begin the maintain part of the diet. This is where I always got stuck. I would increase my carbs all at once, once I lost the desired weight. I am an addict with carbs, once you give me a little my body wants all of them. Slowly ease your way back into carbs. Make a plan of how you will go about re-introducing them to your diet. Start learning the difference between good carbs and bad onces. While it is possible to never eat carbs again, that is a very difficult lifestyle to maintain, even for the devout followers of LCHF, hence why it is called Low-Carb, not No-Carb. While white rice, flour and flour products, and sugar should be eliminated, veggies, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and eventually even fruit should not be. There is certain nutrients in these food groups that a pill just will not make up for. 

-Be ready for periods of weekness/lightheadedness/cramping, a lot of times this signals that you are becoming dehydrated or are dehydrated. As I mentioned you will lose a lot of salt, electrolytes and water through bowel movements, especially early on in this diet. This can lead to dehydration fairly quickly. You may even drink more than the reccomended amount and still have these symptoms. It is really all about feel and learning your body. If you use the bathroom more than you used too use it, for me that was going from 1 bowel movement every 1-2 days to 2-4 bowel movements a day, you may have to drink even more than the reccomended amount of glasses of water a day to replenish what you are losing. Fiber is another key component here. It is difficult to get fiber if you are not eating fruits, veggies, and plant products like flour, bread, and rice. A diet low in fiber can lead to at times constipation, and at other times the exact opposite. Be ready for both, have both remedies on hand.  

-You may have to have raise your salt intake, early on especially. This is to replenish salt your body is going to lose through bowel movements, urination, and general excercise, you may end up having to eat more salt than you are used too. I know for me I found some bullion cubes I really liked and kept them in my desk drawer at work. Or even the ramen noodle packets, I just would not use the noodles obviously, just make a simple broth. Eventually you will be able to add veggies and meat. Early on it should not have anything really, just the broth. I would be careful with salt, I cannot stress this enough, I tested my blood pressure before I started increasing my salt intake. I was consistently low, low to the point where when I was standing up too quickly I would be light headed. Check yours before increasing salt, salt is a poison and can be deadly. I am not trying to scare you away from it but it is not an exact science, unless you talk to a medical professional, experimentation can be dangerous. 

-This leads me to another point, I work a desk job. Make sure you stand up once in a while. Not even because of the diet. Get up and stretch walk around, I know for me when I was sitting for too long that is when standing up quickly led to lightheadedness. 

-Understand the breakdown of why you are choosing High Fat. What is it about fat that makes it a good choice in your diet? Here is an insight into the reasoning behind why choosing fat. But remember just because something has more energy does not make it filling/satisfying. This is important to understand because if you do not feel full after eating you will have a greater chance to overeat. This is especially true with nuts, seeds. Because so many calories are packed in a small quantity it can be very tough to feel full after eating say a small handful of nuts. This may lead you to reaching for another handful. Since Fat has the highest calories per gram it can then lead to you eating more calories than you need. Find foods that make you feel full. Eggs are a great example. Apples though not high fat also are a good example (I realize you probably will not eat thse on a low carb high fat diet, at least not when you are starting out). I just want you to be aware that you need to find foods that make your brain satisfied that it is full. Just because it is packed with fat and has a lot of calories, you may not feel full after eating it. 

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

I guess my final suggestion would be to read up on diabetics, read about their struggles, their posts, what they have to deal with on a consistent basis. For them they did not choose to have to be on a carb restricted diet like you or I. You can find some decent recipes on their forums. You can find some good advice about maintaining a healthy lifestyle from them. While many do not exactly have a LCHF diet, they do try to restrict carbs, which really is the overall goal of LCHF. They may give you some insight on how to live on reduced carbs, because it is not always easy to do, especially if you are eating out at all. Especially snack ideas. For them there is no vacation where they can just cheat or have a cheat day, even if they go on vacation they still have to live with this disease. What will you do when you take a vacation? Just chalk it up to a cheat day? For them it is an entire lifestyle change. Reading about how they have to change their lifestyles keeps me motivated. Because I can have a cheat day, I can take a vacation from my LCHF and eat whatever I want with little problem other than I might gain a few lbs. I should mention this hits close to home as I have a sister with Type 1 Diabetes, I restrict my carbs more than she does, but still for her there is no real cheat day, or vacation from her disease, if she eats a bunch of sweets she pays for it by having to inject herself with more insulin. Each injection is like a constant reminder of her disease. Something I cannot possibly understand or comprehend fully. I will never have to live with that hanging over my shoulder and for me seeing this is a reminder and motivation for me to remain LC (not so much HF anymore).

Best Answer

No.

I don't like these type of diets. They seem unnatural and wrong.

How about just sticking to a balanced diet? Even scientists have already proved that a balanced diet is the best a human can adapt.

No need for silly experimental diets.

A balanced diet is the BEST you can do !

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=balanced+diet+plate&rlz=1C1ASUC_enGB639GB639&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=9...

Best Answer

I've actually gotten excellent results on a ketogenic diet, and feel better than normal when I'm dieting. Diabetes runs in my family, and I have PCOS, so keeping my blood sugar to a minimum helps me limit symptoms of insulin resistance. But, more than that, it does help me lose weight, and I experience the benefits of that, as well. I've only recently started tracking my actual intake while on keto, though, so I can't say for certain how much I think is from caloric deficit and how much is from ketosis.

Best Answer

I've been doing keto for 3 weeks now and, after having tried pretty much every diet there is, I find this one incredibly easy and fun. I've lost a bit of weight, I love experimenting with new ways to cook, and I think I could easily stay keto for life. While I agree that there is no universal diet to suit everyone, this one definitely suits me 🙂

Best Answer

Hey, if you're looking for new things to try, you should visit reddit.com/r/ketorecipes - it's a motherlode of delicious recipes, and people request keto-fied versions of their old favorites all the time.

Best Answer

I've been keto for about two weeks now. I'm loving it. I feel good. I haven't had a migraine in six days (chronic migraineur). And I'm finding it really easy. I've lost four pounds in the past two weeks.

Best Answer

My wife and I started the LCHF Lifestyle about 2 weeks ago.  Things have been going great.

We have more energy, less hunger, and the cravings for all the unhealthy stuff is gone....

Its amazing how much eating REAL FOOD makes a difference!

Best Answer
Went of my keto diet for awhile, vacation and other things made it more difficult awhile back. My weight stayed relatively stable until the vacation, then I put about 4 lbs back on. The more troubling metric though was my upward trend on my body fat % even after I managed to shave a couple of pounds back off by exercising more again and I thought I was watching what I ate better than while on vacation.
I am back in ketosis now and have already shead the remaining weight gain plus a bit more. The more pleasing aspect is the downward trend on the body fat %. Already down about 1.5% from my high point after going off keto.
Now siting at about 68 kg and 14% body fat. Aiming to get down to 10% body fat.
Best Answer

I'm doing keto... Just started on January 5th.  The last week I fell off though with a ton of things to get done and constantly running around, I just took a break and went for some comfort carbs... 

But the first 3 weeks when I stuck to it, I had awesome results! Lost 12.6 pounds, lost 2.5 inches on my waist, bodyfat went from 23% to 18.9%...

This last week I have eaten so much crap carbs that I should have gained everything back (pizza, lots of starbucks sweet coffee and cider, multiple slices of pie, chicken fried steak, cereal, etc, etc.... ) but I also kept attempting to get back on the diet so I had a few days in there that I ate keto, and even intermittent fasted... I have gained back 3.2 pounds as of this morning (ate terribly last night) but the interesting thing as that I only added 1/8" to my waist measurement and only added .3% bodyfat with those 3.2 pounds.  The mix of eating toward Keto in between the several days of eating total crap appears to have kept the gains from being all fat.
So I plan to jump right back in today and keep pushing forward.  

Best Answer

@todd_a: so basically you’re saying you’re still a carb lover at heart, but you’re ready to suck it (the LCHF diet) up for three weeks at a time (for the amazing fat loss results it’s producing), as long as you can have 2-3 days once in a while when you can eat the foods you love? Is it something you intend to do long term? Or will you do it until you reach sub-10% levels of BF and are super-shredded, after which you can stay there and revert to your good old way of eating?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Harrassed?  I posted a similar question and was never harrassed once....Maybe you are thinking of a different forum?

Best Answer

Actually, atkins is a balanced diet once you've moved past induction and up the carb ladder.  The focus is on natural, whole foods you cook yourself and away from sugars.  

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Harrassed?  I posted a similar question and was never harrassed once....Maybe you are thinking of a different forum?

Sometimes discussions on the respective merits of different diets get heated (because many people have this "my diet is better than yours" attitude), so when someone disagrees with, belittles or opposes your diet, you may feel "harassed".

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique Yes, I appear to have a carb addiction... when unchecked I will eat so much sugar desserts. That I should be diabetic at this point. 

Ive eaten lower carb and higher fat for years but with times of letting myself go... I've not done full-on keto before and I've usually lost a lot more lean mass when losing anywhere near this fast. 

My intention is to get myself to fully commit and change completely as I am aware of the many benefits of this and the problems associated with insulin. 

And yeah, sub 10% ripped would be nice to achieve. Although I'm going to have to add several pounds of lean mass along with that so I don't disappear when I turn sideways. Lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's estimated that nearly 40% of Americans have Metabolic Syndrome, a precursor to full blown Type 2 Diabetes.

Metabolic syndrome (MetS) is a group of risk factors that raises risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and other health problems. It is diagnosed when any three of the following five risk factors are present:
• High blood glucose (sugar)
• Low levels of HDL (“good”) cholesterol in the
blood
• High levels of triglycerides in the blood
• Large waist circumference or “apple-shaped” body
• High blood pressure
Metabolic syndrome is a serious health condition. Many people are unaware their bodies are resistant to the effects of Insulin, and Insulin is the primary fat storage hormone.

Not only is LCHF *very* effective for weight loss, it improves ALL of the health markers of MetS and can put Diabetes in to remission. For these reasons alone, it's a diet recommended for people whose health is in decline from Carbohydrate Intolerance (Insulin Resistance) and Metabolic Syndrome. It's not "unnatural" at all - it was the only known treatment for Diabetes prior to the invention of Insulin in 1921.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes