Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCHF?

Any lchf, ketogenic eaters here?

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

Over the nearly 15 years that I was Type 2 Diabetic, not a single Internal Medicine doctor that I worked with recommend a high fat diet -- that means of "treating" diabetes ended years ago. Doctor's used to recommend a high fat diet in order to stabilize the blood sugar levels over long periods of time due to their slow digesting properties, but they discovered that diabetics gained a lot of weight on it and made their diabetes worse. Through careful diet planning, which did not include LCHF, and exercise I reversed my Type 2 Diabetes, and I have managed to keep it in check with well balanced meals with portion control and exercise. The Glycemic Index of foods is much more important to Diabetics than the LCHF concept.

Best Answer

I'm with Sir Muir Gray on "metabolic syndrome". He's extremely frank about it being a result of a sedentary lifestyle and poor diet. 

He's quite an outspoken chap. He's also suggested that Type 2 DM should be renamed "Walking Deficiency Syndrome".

As a self confessed fatty myself, I can see that he's right!

Since my switch this year to a Mediterranean style diet and regime of regular exercise my weight, waist circumference, BP, cholesterol and blood sugar have all fallen. My HDL cholesterol is rising. I'm sleeping better, my mood is improved and I feel more invigorated. My capacity for exercise is increasing every week. My BMI has fallen from 38.1 to 33.2. Imagine how great I'll feel in a few more months when I'm no longer obese!

And all of this without counting a single calorie or worrying about the consequences of starting or stopping a fad diet. Mediterranean style eating is not a "diet" it's my new lifestyle.

I've even started running again!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

On ketogenic for about 6 months, using Wahl's Protocol as a guide.  Gained weight.  Had to start eating way less.  Feel better, especially mentally, no more migraines.  Hard to move away from early and life-long programming about the dangers of fat.  Still try to sneak in a complex carb or 2, like potato.  Do feel much more in control of cravings. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Although my high fasting sugar was something I hadn't seen until just a little over a year ago, my age and weight had me solidly into the diabetic range.  I reversed my diabetes with simple weight loss (about 10% made the big difference), with honestly no specific food plan. I eat a fairly balanced diet, including usually around 40% carbs.  The difference really was eating less.  For a while that included very detailed calorie counting.  At that time I was only marginally increasing my daily steps.  It's important in the end to find a new way of eating that you can follow forever.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes