Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK - Carbohydrate (error?) - Macronutrients

ANSWERED

Right, so about 2 weeks ago I started a Ketogenic diet (high fat, moderate protein, low carb), and the macronutrient ratio reported by the fitbit app is essential, i.e. the reported ratios need to be reported correctly, to ensure one keeps in Ketosis. I've lost 12.6lbs in just under 1month.

The Ketogenic diet (literature) talks about net carbs. In the USA, this is food label's carb value - fibre value => net carb. However, in the UK, the food label's carb value = net carb.

My question is, when creating custom foods in the UK do I need to add the fibre value to the total carb value in the custom food, to get correct macronutrient ratio reporting?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Update for all peeps in the UK.

I submitted a ticket to Fitbit who were very unhelpful and did not give me an answer. Very very disappointed!

Any suggestions for an alternative app that can calculate macronutrient ratios correctly wherever you live in the world?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Simple question as US food labels w.r.t. carbohyrdates are done differently compared to the UK, does the fitbit app report the carb percentage correctly when displaying macronutrient ratios?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update for all peeps in the UK.

I submitted a ticket to Fitbit who were very unhelpful and did not give me an answer. Very very disappointed!

Any suggestions for an alternative app that can calculate macronutrient ratios correctly wherever you live in the world?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue here in the US.  The app and online logging tool does not calculate net carbs correctly at all.  Shows complete carbs but also shows fiber, so it still says that your carbs are through the roof, so you still have to do the work of calculating.  If you want an accurate record of the nutrition facts, it's almost like you have to keep a separate detailed journal where you write them in yourself.  It took me hours to just to input correctly, that would be added stress and risky if I'm trying to stay encouraged.  I'm so confused, especially in the app, about what's the breakdown for "generic" items, where you estimate calories based on preparations....like I HAVE NO CLUE, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW? THAT'S WHY I PUT IT IN THE APP....SO IT CAN TELL ME! 

ugh, This will not defeat me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The whole net carb thing is controversial anyway (see: http://www.webmd.com/women/features/net-carb-debate#1). It’s just a marketing gimmick and I don’t see why Fitbit should accommodate it.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

https://cronometer.com/    It records a lot-vitamins, minerals, plus all the diet stuff AND it links to fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes