Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low-carb diets

ANSWERED

does anyone know any good low-carb,low-cal diets?my goal is to lose 40lb.by this August and want to cut out carbs as much as possible.any helpful responses will be appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I find that the simple act of avoiding processed foods and focusing on whole foods dramatically reduces a person's caloric and carbohydrate intake, as a person ends up primarily consuming low calorie, low carbohydrate, high fiber foods.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

I am doing a Ketogenic diet.  And just because I cant seem to do anything without going way overboard, I mix that diet with intermittent fasting (both daily and some longer term). 

In 3 weeks on it, I lost 12.6 pounds... lost 2.5 inches on my waist... dropped bodyfat by 4.5%

It definitely works... plus there are tons of studies out there showing all kinds of benefits from reversing type 2 diabetes to lowering indicators of heart disease to controlling epilleptic seasures wiithout needing meds to slowing or stopping some forms of cancer and pre-cancerous cells... Pretty interesting stuff.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find that the simple act of avoiding processed foods and focusing on whole foods dramatically reduces a person's caloric and carbohydrate intake, as a person ends up primarily consuming low calorie, low carbohydrate, high fiber foods.

Best Answer

First, I’ll do some math: there are 7 months (28 weeks) until the end of August, so you want to lose 40/28 = 1.4 lb per week. This requires a weekly deficit of 3500 x 1.4 = 5000 calories, which translates into an average daily deficit of 715 calories. What is your average energy expenditure ("calories burned") at your current activity level, as per your Fitbit? What is your calculated BMR, as per this online calculator? Is TDEE - 715 higher than your BMR? If not, the deficit is likely too high, which means you’ll either need to increase your activity, or decrease your deficit (and accept the fact it will take you longer to reach your goal). Once you’ve established the amount of calories you can eat in average each day, it’s up to you what you want to include in your diet. Fats have 9 calories per gram, so there’s only so much bacon, cheese, butter etc. you can include before you reach the calorie limit. You said you wanted a low-calorie diet: well, as I said, fat is high-calorie to begin with, so you’ll have to restrict quantities. Generally speaking, when eating at a deficit in order to lose weight, you want to eat as many calories you can while still keeping the deficit you need. Crash diets with 1000 calories or less won’t work for very long.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Dr. Atkins, 

Best Answer
0 Votes