Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 factor authentication app

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Are there any 2 factor authentication apps like Google Authentication or RSA SecurID soft token available for the Iconic.  That would be a very handy security tool ...

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

There's one now called authenticator but I'm struggling to enter valid tokens for it - they need to be in a certain format and I'm struggling to work out what I need to do.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

@R0blwrote:

Are there any 2 factor authentication apps like Google Authentication or RSA SecurID soft token available for the Iconic.  That would be a very handy security tool ...

Not yet. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There's one now called authenticator but I'm struggling to enter valid tokens for it - they need to be in a certain format and I'm struggling to work out what I need to do.

Best Answer

Scrub that - I've got it working - its asks for a username:yourtoken and it appears the username can be whatever you want to call it - so it seems to work

Best Answer

Where did you find the yourtoken value needed for the app?

Best Answer

I cant seem to find this app in the store when searching for 'authenticator', any advice?

Best Answer

Do try latest free TOTP Authenticator with premium features. Code generation, Widget Support, Multi-Account Support, Completely Offline, Extra Security, Account Customisations, Cross platform Backup/Restore, Multi-Device support and much more. iOS: https://apple.co/2O1ft0S , Android: http://bit.ly/2v47wjP

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you give an example of how you would enter a Google token in there?

Best Answer
0 Votes

for the authenticator app for the versa, in the settings it says New token.. just press that and the format that wourked for me was to give it a short name e.g. GO, then colon followed by the 32 digit code without spaces or dashes e.g.

GO:XXXXZZZZXXXXZZZZXXXXZZZZXXXXZZZZ

Best Answer

Thank you for this but I still don't get where I get the code from and how it 'generates' an authentication key. Let's say I want to set an authentication for my Gmail account, can I do this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

it varies for different services but in the case of google, you need to set up 2 factor authentication in your google account (under security and passwords etc). As part of that set up process it will show you a qr code OR a long string of numbers and letters like i described above - this is the token you need. You then enter that code into an autheticator app (google have their own but others like the watch version work too) to set it up... basically, from that token the app generates a short lived 6 digit code thats vaild for 30 seconds... next time you log into a google service on a new device or app, it asks for both your password and a temporary authentication code - it means you have some protection if your password is ever compromised. Its a pain and not 100% fool proof but significantly raises the security on your account.

Google 2 factor authetication for google accounts and see if its something you want use BEFORE setting it up (if you loose the authenticator, you need to make sure you have your recovery options set up properly or you will loose access to your account).

Best Answer

NOTE - the authenticator app has access to your token but not other account details so its still secure... the token just generates different codes every 30 seconds based on the current time which google can then check back and confirm...

Best Answer

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed. Apparently in Google you can only set a single Authenticator 'device' so I couldn't find a way to add the watch there because my phone was already configured, but I did manage to add the watch as a 2nd device to Amazon. Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Google says that but the work around is to make a copy of the token (the long number / digit version) at the time of generation and use that - I have mine in the official app on multiple devices AND on the watch app - its just google wont let you see the token a second time for security reasons. The workaround is to disable 2 factor and then re enable it and just set up the apps a second time using the new token that gets generated that you've made a copy of.

Best Answer

Got it working for my AWS login ... very nice...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Check "Google Auth" in Fitbit app store and its Android counterpart at Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.gryb.gacw

Check also this wiki for installation details: https://credelius.com/credelius/?p=241#fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does this work from iphone as well?
Struggling to get it running!

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit Versa2 and would like to see Google Authenticator on my Iphone sync with my Versa2.

Is there anyone working on that at all?

Best Answer

There was a non backward compatible change in Android that broke sync in Android's versions 9 and higher. However, I've followed @JonFitbit's advice and fixed the issue, so sync should start working in the next Google Auth version, which is under Fitbit's review now and should be in Fitbit's store soon. Check this important note and instructions here: https://credelius.com/credelius/?p=241#fitbit

While this is pending you can use manual account setup that is described in the same wiki. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Steetjebee wrote:

Does this work from iphone as well?
Struggling to get it running!

That's not true anymore, I'm pleased to announce that we do have an iPhone app for syncing 2FA/TOTP accounts with Fitbit's smartwatches. Give it a try please.

Best Answer
0 Votes