Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audible App?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is there any chance the Ionic can play audio books, like from the Audible App or transferred audio files from my computer? I'd love to listen to a story instead of a song.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Think I'll just wait for the audible app! How difficult could it be? 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

@EmeraldEyez wrote:

Is there any chance the Ionic can play audio books, like from the Audible App or transferred audio files from my computer? I'd love to listen to a story instead of a song.

With no Audible app available at launch, the only way to listen to books is if you have it as a MP3 file and transfer it to your Fitbit Ionic's internal storage. However, this would mean you'd have to listen from the beginning every time, which isn't ideal.

But, the SDK will be made available to third-party developers on September 11, 2017, so they can start building apps for the Fitbit App Gallery. Developers can go to https://dev.fitbit.com/ for full details on how to develop apps for Fitbit Ionic.

Best Answer

Breakup the audio book into chapters and listen on random 🙂

Best Answer

Thank you. Hopefully Audible will make an app but at least mp3 is a doable option I hadn't considered.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely need to break it into chapters! Seems so old school, haven't had to do that in years. Don't even know if I remember how but I could figure it out if need be. Good solution. Though couldn't listen to it on random. All chapters get out of order on random play. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Think I'll just wait for the audible app! How difficult could it be? 🙂

Best Answer

I've checked with Audible. They currently have no plans to create an app for Fitbit but they did send my request on to the department that would approve such a thing. Guessing if they get a lot of requests they'll decide to go ahead and make the app. Until then, not happening for awhile.

Best Answer

Good to know. I plan to tweet at them relentlessly. 🙂 Do they actualky have one for the Apple Series 3? Or can that watch even store files? Hmmm...

Best Answer

Have you ever tried this link

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4723

The aforementioned link shows you how to convert audible file to mp3 

Best Answer

Can you imagine trying to listen to a book as an MP3 without any way to keep your place...? It's not a legit solution, I think...

Best Answer

Remember that at least within Audible, each chapter is its own .mp3 file which can not be longer than two hours long.  I narrate audio books on Audible and even if a chapter is longer than two hours (I've had a few) it is broken into multiple files.  Not a perfect solution by any means, but at least much better than having to start the book entirely over each time.  You could always jump to the next chapter/file. 

Best Answer

To get the developers to put in the effort make an app they need the demand...

Follow this link and let them know you want it vote 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Audible-App-for-Ionic/idc-p/2297451#M131998

Only 105 votes as of march 2018

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks you so much for sharing the existing feature suggestions about Audible App for Ionic. This is the way! Best thing we can do is voting for the idea to show our support.

@Hummermole It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community! Thanks for sharing your experience with Audible with us. I'd recommend leaving that feedback on the comment section of the feature suggestions shared above. This is the best way to ask for improvements of any kind you would like to see on that app.

Thanks for sharing. See you around! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

I've done that before on the computer. Listening to a book on random scrambles the chapters. Hard to keep up when you listen to chapter one, then chapter 8, 3, 20, etc. 😆

Best Answer
0 Votes

Deleted post

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's really cool you read for Audible! And as for sections breaking every two hours, true, but often I've had to stop early before the 2 hour section is over. Sometimes listening to the same hour three times to get further along. Once after going over the same section again I discovered I was one sentence from the end. One sentence! Not doing that again since apps are available that will hold your spot and sync with all devices. I'll just wait for the first fitness tracker that decides it's worth their time to add Audible app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EmeraldEyezwrote:

I'll just wait for the first fitness tracker that decides it's worth their time to add Audible app.

Might be a long wait. Smiley Happy Fitness trackers are designed for... fitness tracking. However you can get an audio book app for the Apple Watch if you really want something now.

Best Answer
lostlogik,
Yes, fitness trackers are made for tracking fitness, but Fitbit has already expanded that thought by creating the Ionic and Versa watches that combine some of the best fitness tracking with smart watch capabilities. So having an Audiobook app instead of or with the music app they've already included isn't a far stretch. We have several Apple products but I'm not a fan. Though if Fitbit refuses to include audio books, I may end up switching regardless. So, guess I won't jump to the first product that combines both since that's Apple without giving Fitbit a little time to improve their product.
Best Answer

I just got off the chat with audible and asked them about making the app for fitbit:

"Actually, we have been having that idea for quite a bit. It is not quite yet on developing, but I can submit that feedback from your account to the guys in charge. The more people we have requesting something new, the more possibilities there are for it to happen."

So please get on audible and ask them to make the app.  Like the rep said, the more people that ask, the better chances we'll have it.

Best Answer

@MADUB06 I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing this important information on this thread. 

I think that is a good idea. To request this from both sides (Fitbit on the Feature Suggestion shared above and Audible by talking to them directly). As they said, the more users asking for this, the more chances there are to have it done. 

Thanks again for sharing this. See you around! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer