Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condensation Buildup in Sensors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone had issues with the waterproofing on the Ionic?  Someone commented on Facebook that they "heard" this was a problem from a reviewer friend.  But, I've seen nothing on it. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
109 REPLIES 109

Yes you would certainly hope that to be the case but I've seen some manufacturers still getting funny over water damage, even though their devices carry an IP rating. Obviously the Ionic is a little different though as it's advertised as being able to track your swim.

Just for reference I've attached a picture of the gap that is worrying a lot of us. I'm also going to look on YouTube for some teardown videos to see if I can see how the screen is sealed into the unit.

On mine it is no more then half a millimetreOn mine it is no more then half a millimetre

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

@N8teGee,

Does the separation go across the entire top, or is just in the circled area?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Usually all the way across. My second Ionic had it half way at the top and the opposite half at the bottom as the screen was actually bent/crooked.

Like I said the seals may be perfectly fine but it does make you wonder. When I think of something water tight, something with gaps doesn't spring to mind.... 

IMG-20171008-WA0003.jpg

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

@robertreinink Hi There! Thanks for sharing the picture of the condensation. I'm happy to hear our support team is helping you get back on track with a replacement, not so happy to see the damage though. This is definitely not expected behavior and our team will be taking a close look at your watch to inspect and evaluate the root cause of the condensation.

@N8teGee Are you experiencing condensation as well? 

Best Answer

@CarlosCFitbit No I'm not experiencing the condensation but I haven't got my Ionic wet yet. At this stage though I have no faith in the water resistant capabilities so will be staying well away. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

@CarlosCFitbit Hi Carlos, thank you for stepping in here. Wouldn’t expect less from Fitbit. This expieriance was so to say a disappointing one indeed. I think I will not put it in water again. 24 hours after receiving I had to return it to the seller. In this case Coolblue in the Netherlands. (a great seller Holding on the warranty regulations - returned my Surge 3 times for broken band issue - full refund on the money and choose for the Ionic with extra payment) It’s yet to receive by the seller witch would be tomorrow I think and than awaiting there reaction. Keep you all posted!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Return it ASAP. Surprised the watch still works. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GregJaxFL wrote:

Return it ASAP. Surprised the watch still works. 

I believe @robertreinink said the watch died completely. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

IMG_20171008_214715.jpg

I have light bleeding on the top of mine as well. I have been wearing it in the shower as well so now worried mine will get water in it

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope you got a replacement watch. 

Best Answer

Just got the word... tomorrow the seller will deliver a brand new Ionic.

What do you think... should I take it straightaway for a swim?

Don't think so.......

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, despite the hassle I would take it for a swim. Unless you don't intend on swimming with it.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Mine did the same thing in the dark. I’m thinking about returning it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@robertreinink wrote:

Just got the word... tomorrow the seller will deliver a brand new Ionic.

What do you think... should I take it straightaway for a swim?

Don't think so.......

As soon as I get mine the first thing I'm doing is going for a swim. Fitbit claims the watch is waterproof, so I'm going to test it right away. 

Best Answer

Similar thing happened to the one I gave my wife. She had it for 3 days, we went for a swim, and the tracker completely blacked out. Getting the "0%" indicator on the screen, will not take a charge, and now support is giving us the runaround in getting it replaced.

Really disappointing, as part of the reason we purchased this was on the premise that it was waterproof. You'd think that QC would've caught that before pushing to market.

Best Answer

A similar thing happened to the one I gave my wife. She had it for 3 days, we went for a swim, and the tracker completely blacked out. Getting the "0%" indicator on the screen, will not take a charge, and now support is giving us the runaround in getting it replaced.

Really disappointing, as part of the reason we purchased this was on the premise that it was waterproof. You'd think that QC would've caught that before pushing to market.

Best Answer

@joeybrown105 sorry to hear. 

Would you you mind taking some pictures and sharing with us? Is there a significant gap between the screen and the bezel?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Carlos, I purchased my ionic new only a week ago and today roughly an hour after a short dip in the pool at the hotel (less than 5 minutes and surface swimming) the ionic felt warm on my wrist. When I looked at it it showed the Fitbit logo but would not go away or change screens. A few minutes later it went dead but was very hot (I’d taken it off my wrist at this stage).

i have had it on charge over 30 minutes, tried syncing and hard reset but nothing works.

i have noticed a few minutes ago that their is moisture in the rear sensors and so looked on line and found this blog.

can you please assist?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Contact Support immediately, there are other threads on here regarding the Iconic getting extremely hot while charging then dying.The Iconic is advertised as Waterproof and in your case it isn't. You could also return to the store where you purchased either for a refund or replacement.

Best Answer

Take pictures of the moist in the sensors. And as stated return it to the store where you purchased it. That’s what I did. Instant return no questions asked!

Best Answer
0 Votes