Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condensation Buildup in Sensors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone had issues with the waterproofing on the Ionic?  Someone commented on Facebook that they "heard" this was a problem from a reviewer friend.  But, I've seen nothing on it. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
109 REPLIES 109

I think it depends on if you start your swim through the exercise app or you start your swim automatically (i.e. you just start swimming and the Ionic automatically tracks your swim).  If you start your swim through the exercise app, the heart rate sensor on the bottom of the Ionic turns off, which I assume is to prevent water damage.  If you just start swimming, the heart rate sensor will not turn off, which might lead to water damage.  Same with showering (the heart rate sensor does not turn off in the shower).

I always start my swim through the exercise app, and in the three months that I’ve been swimming with the Ionic - and I swim a lot - I haven’t had any water damage issues (*knocks on wood*).  Hope that helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @mroberts624,

You're correct that the heart rate monitoring is disabled when Swim is selected manually. However, it's likely not to prevent water damage. The Ionic is waterproofed by design and its seals. The HR sensor is never exposed to water, so there's no need for worry about water damage swimming with it, regardless of whether it's tracking HR or not during the swim.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I've had mind since last november. Went swimming with it on in a shallow pool yesterday (actually playing with granddaugter). Today I see condensation in the heartrate windows and it's dead. Seems like the claim of being waterproof for swimming is greatly exaggerated. I've already contacted support - response was put it in a bowl of rice for a day then try resetting it. My response was that it is advertised as waterproof for swimming. There is clearly a problem that a bowl of rice isn't going to solve. 

Best Answer

Hi, have you had any help on this as this has happened to me today after taking my son swimming. I’m so annoyed, I paid so much for this watch as it’s advertised as being waterproof. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No response/resolution.

Unfortunately, we've taken the approach of just "not putting it in or near water" which is not great. Feel like we were duped by paying 300 bucks for a 'waterproof' tracker that isn't in fact waterproof.

Knowing how the warranty works, I wasn't comfortable risking it by having another faulty watch, and being stuck with a paperweight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m going to propose again that it has to do with whether the HR sensor is on or off when you go swimming.  Maybe mine is just better sealed than others (although it would be a serious design flaw if so many Ionics were poorly sealed), but I never swim with the HR sensor on, and in all my months of swimming with this watch, it has not incurred water damage.  I swam with it for about an hour yesterday (with the HR sensor off), and it works fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I’ll get a reply from customer service. They shouldn’t advertise a product as waterproof if it isn’t. This is the feature that made me go for the ionic, or I would’ve gone for a different and cheaper one altogether!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent photo to Fitbit support. They've shipped a replacement already. Hope
they have fixed the leak.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the Ionic for 7 months all has been good - swimming several times, shower with it on and then rafting this week, now moisture at the sensor. I have it in a bag of rice and hoping that it will work.

What happened with yours? Working or replacement?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Adama-B  I did send it to the reseller and thy provided me with a new one.

Take a picture of it to proof the state it is and send it along.

The bag of rice does maybe work but in the end there is a gap where the moist will get in.

So the only option is a replacement.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I contacted fitbit support. They asked for photos of the sensor area and
after a little back and forth, but nothing denying the issue, sent a
replacement. I've been wearing it for several months including a few times
in a pool and so far so good. I hope they've solved the seal issue. I
really need this watch to be water resistant as advertised.

Note - mine had been in salt water and no drying out was ever going to
restore it to functionality.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine wouldn’t turn on at all after the first time swimming with it. 

I emailed Fitbit and they asked for photos and where I purchased it from, I then had to post the Fitbit watch itself (without strap or box) away, and had to wait a few weeks for a replacement. 

I’ve not tried it swimming since, as I’m worried, which is a real shame as it’s obviously advertised as waterproof and I’d like to use it as, but I’m worried I’d have to go through the whole rigmarole of sending it off again. 

I hope the rice works for you, but if I was you id email them, it’s advertised as waterproof, you shouldn’t have to stick it in rice! 

I hope you get sorted 🤞🏻

Best Answer
0 Votes

Took mine to the pool 3x on vacation and on the third time, it died. Put it in a bag of rice for 72 hours and now it won’t charge or turn on. So upset. 

I bought it at REI, which has a great return policy but they don’t have one where I’m on vacation. So now I’m stuck without a smart watch for 2 weeks. 

Ive gone through 4 trackers on 3 years and am done with this company. It’s absolutely terrible quality. 

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

4 ionic trackers is that? That’s really terrible, totally puts me off using it to swim with and it’s not fair, because the waterproof spec was the whole reason I purchased it or I would’ve gone for something else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
same here. Hoping they've fixed whatever leak problem they had but no
communication from fitbit in that direction.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Only the Ionic twice. The other 2 times was the Charge 2 and Alta. They don’t make fitbits to last long for active people so it’s really disappointing that we go through this. Do you guys know if a compatible product from a different brand that you or your friends would recommend?
Best Answer
0 Votes

mine has done the same, and is draining battery so fast (5 hours), support is asking me to put it in rice for 24 hours, i got that from amazon a week ago, should i return it as a damaged item or what??

Best Answer
0 Votes
I took mine back to Target and they gave me a new one. I tried the rice for
3 days and after that nothing.

Good luck
Best Answer

That would annoy me! Why should you put it in rice?? It’s advertised as waterproof! No! Send it back, tell them you want a new one that they can 100% guarantee is waterproof, or you want a refund! 

Best Answer

All, 

After having to replace this watch, on multiple occasions, I finally found a website with the most sound resolution I've been able to dig up:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571520

Frustrating that one of the core functions (waterproof) doesn't properly work. However, I've had no issues, since walking through that website above : )

Best Answer
0 Votes