Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashes during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

10/3 morning run, tracking with GPS, looked at watch at mile 2,

checked a couple minutes later and it was the workout screen where you scroll to choose exercise. So I restarted “run” and went home. Synced to phone, 2+mile run is not there, was never recorded, didn’t sync. This is a MAJOR  reason for buying a gps tracker, it must work every time.  

Other problems-

finally got pandora stations to show up when I forced sync for 15th time on work WiFi, got Home put watch on charger, Home WiFi, pandora station and disappeared!!!! Fitbit Please fix software! Will Ben returning off not fixed in next couple weeks for refund. 

I was excited aboit Ionic becuase I like fitbit, battery life vs Apple Watch, and combined the function of my old gps running watch and all day tracker. But it was released with too many problems.  Please post update on firmware fixes that may be in the future. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity & format

Best Answer
356 REPLIES 356

It crashed on my run after 1 hour.  It restarted itself and I had to start tracking again.

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me on my first half marathon today at mile 10! Was super upset and it also keep losing gps. 

Best Answer

It also will blank out an on-going activity if you get a notification....unless you turn off notifications while doing an activity.

Needs to be fixed. Not good.

-Glenn

Versa 3 | Windows 10 | Pixel 4a 5G | 10K Daily | FitBit Food Tracking
Best Answer

Mine blinked out after about an hour run today.  Was bummed it didn't turn up in the Sync.

Please fix Fitbit!

Best Answer

I'm sorry to hear you all had some trouble GPS tracking your runs. Thanks for reporting this crash while using the Run exercise shortcut. I suggest trying a restart on your Ionic watches. Also, depending on the distance of the run, it may take a few successful syncs for them to appear under your logged exercises. Please let me know if this unexpected behavior continues. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
I have tried syncing many times it logged my steps and heart rate but completely lost my run. I will restart but this is ridiculous for a 300 dollar watch. I am considering returning and getting a Garmin like I was recommended if this continues and is not fixed quickly.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hasn't flat out crashed on me but the GPS was so bad yesterday. I sure didn't swim across the East River like it shows. GPS lost connection several times on a route that's never been problematic before.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same..: steps were tracked, but gps run vaporized. Will be trying again this week. Super disappointed. I like the Fitbit platform. This is still buggy. 

Best Answer

@kenjamin wrote:

Hasn't flat out crashed on me but the GPS was so bad yesterday. I sure didn't swim across the East River like it shows. GPS lost connection several times on a route that's never been problematic before.

I've had several trackers over the last few years with in-built GPS, specifically a Garmin Forerunner, a Fitbit Surge, and now a Fitbit Ionic; the two former trackers both conspired to get confused enough regarding my location to route my running tracks across lakes and rivers and/or through buildings.  I suspect it is only a matter of time before my Ionic does the same thing.

The thing is, GPS isn't all that accurate, and there are so very many things which can screw up the signal at any given point in a run.  Case in point, a few weeks ago I was running past a hospital maybe thirty meters from their heliport when a very large medivac helicopter was flaring out to land, at that point the run plot from my Surge shows a rather significant deviation from my actual course, and it took the better part of a mile before everything lined up again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been pretty quiet about this thinking its me because I like to play with all the settings but this has now happened to me 4 times now. And what really stinks is with my MS Band if the battires dies or anything it saves my stats I can go 2 miles and all that info would be lost. So back to my issues

I'm not sure if this is due to the email notifications popping up causing it to crash, or a memory issue, or i noticed it happening on a particular watch face. I did call support and they told me to reboot the Ionic and and I did this before 2 runs and it seem to work but what am I loosing by rebooting my watch

anyone have this issue or know anymore about this .

Best Answer

Hi @gibbyhome,

You don't lose anything by rebooting the tracker. It just helps it perform better.

If you don't mind doing it before runs, it's probably the way to go. One person reported that disabling notifications before the run also worked. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I did a full restart just before starting a run, because I was having other issues with the watch, and yet it still crashed 3 miles into my run and didn't recover the info after syncing. SUPER frustrated. What else can you do re: resolving this issue other than recommending a restart, because that's clearly not the solution?

Best Answer

@MamaBear2216 wrote:

I did a full restart just before starting a run, because I was having other issues with the watch, and yet it still crashed 3 miles into my run and didn't recover the info after syncing. SUPER frustrated. What else can you do re: resolving this issue other than recommending a restart, because that's clearly not the solution?

Can you post a picture of the track up to the point of the "crash".

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by posting a picture of the "track" (I'm new to Fitbit).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MamaBear2216 wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by posting a picture of the "track" (I'm new to Fitbit).

A screen shot from your Fitbit.com Dashboard activity page, like this:

MilesDegrees-Miles.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

last 2 runs I rebooted it so that's working but I hope they can fix this I don't like rebooting my device every run

thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I believe the issue has been reported, so I would expect a firmware fix is upcoming.

Dave | California

Best Answer

I have had my fitbit ionic for 12 days now and on 4 occasions over the past 2 days it has been crashing when I have been using the 'workout' continuous exercise monitoring function

The buttons then remain unresponsive and then after 1 minute or so it comes back on. When the tracker came back on it was no longer in 'workout' mode and I had to set it to start 'workout' again - when I synced my tracker my workout has been recorded in two separate episodes (one at 5.50am for 8 mins) and then again at 5.59am for 33 mins when in reality I was out from 5.50am and it should have recorded it as one 41 minute episode.

This is really dissapointing and I am wondering if anyone else if having these issues or I have a faulty tracker?

I have contacted customer support via email with case reference number 21691157 but I am yet to receive a response.

I track everything I do meticulously and don't want these problems with my ionic tracker to cause discrepancies especially when I have set it to exercise mode.

Help!?!?

Best Answer

Hi @Samantha2155,

Do you have notifications enabled?

Dave | California

Best Answer