Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False steps while driving-Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I work on an ambulance, im always in and out of the truck, just got the ionic. Is there anyway to stop or pause the step count while im driving around in the truck? I know drivebit is there and adjust the log, but is there anyway to stop the count with an app on the ionic? Or function? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Actually, there's possibly quite a simple fix to this, but it'd hae to come from Fitbit end of things. 

Back when I used my Charge HR, in order to stop it from counting false steps in my Jeep (lifted truck with slip yoke elinator = TONS of vibration) , all I had to do was plug it in to charge while I was driving. The Charge HR doesn't record anything while plugged into the charging cable. My thinking is, if a firmware update could possibly put this same concept into effect, could it stop the ionic from recording steps while driving? Because I'm really sick of gaining a false "+17 flights of stairs" while driving to work every morning 😂 But yeah, I find it much easier to keep my charging cable in my truck. I never have a chance to forget it and, because I wear my ionic to sleep, it works out perfectly, or would at least if this idea could somehow be implemented! 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
45 REPLIES 45

Not really since it'd be pretty annoying to turn off the feature everytime you want to track or not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since it has a built in gps there is no reason why they can't bring in a feature that stops counting steps over a certain speed, would certainly be nice. 

Best Answer

@Fattofitjourney wrote:

Since it has a built in gps there is no reason why they can't bring in a feature that stops counting steps over a certain speed, would certainly be nice. 

Not gonna happen.... Here's why.  The GPS is the #1 battery drainer, and currently is ONLY on during a run or walk, which essentially turns on the GPS.  ALL other times the GPS is off to save battery.  There is no way they will sacrifice battery life for a 1 in a thousand need.

And having an option to turn this feature on and off defeats the purpose.  Then you would also have the troves of people who will accidentally leave this option on and do nothing but complain about poor battery life. 

Best Answer

this has always been a thing with any device that's tracking based on motion. even my phone's step tracking sometimes does it.

Best Answer

If you are using an android device, and you have your phone with you in the ambulace; there is drivebit but that being sad it is manual. I found an app called travelbit which, you have to pay for the automatic logging, does log them and you can use to do this..... have used it for a couple of days works well and you can confirm when you were driving.

Best Answer

That's something strange...

They bought pebble team, and they couldn't make things at the level of the pebble....

I tested that on my pebble.... Several times.

I nevee had one false step counted when i was driving.

With the ionic there is several steps count when I drive....

To answer top poster.... No there is no such feature and I don't think that it will be introduced in future...

Best Answer

I am looking at upgrading my Blaze to the Ionic. My Blaze doesn't count steps while driving. My Surge didn't either. I read a post about a motor cyclist who had the issue due to vibration. Could vibration be the issue?

Thank you for the reply and have a Terrific day!

Best Answer

Hmmm, Ill look into that. as you may know you have to always turn on/off drive bit. Its great for what it does the only problem is you have to constantly be on your phone to be accurate. I work in the city yesterday if I did not use the drive bit It would have logged between 1,500-1,800 between 0700 to 1030 couldn't believe it......smh....

Best Answer
0 Votes

maybe but its better than looking at the tracker and thinking you have 15,000 steps when you actually only 8,000. I guess its an ocd thing.

Best Answer

@Goosse1962 wrote:

I am looking at upgrading my Blaze to the Ionic. My Blaze doesn't count steps while driving. My Surge didn't either. I read a post about a motor cyclist who had the issue due to vibration. Could vibration be the issue?

Thank you for the reply and have a Terrific day!

Aside from the occasional 10-20 steps, my Charge HR, Blaze, AND Ionic don't count while driving.

At the number you are talking about, it might be faulty. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It really comes down to the vehicle. Under normal circumstances whilst I'm driving my car I may get the odd one or two steps, but at work driving heavy industrial vehicles it can count hundreds, maybe even thousands.

I really hope someone manages to create a drivebit style app for the Ionic, it will at least be more convenient then pulling your phone out each time to start and stop. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know right! that would really awesome and I imagine not that hard to create. stop and start, boom done! sometimes I jump out the truck on a call run upstairs or through a dept store then realize dang it! forgot to stop the drive bit. You would think with all the research done on accuracy it would have been an option. hmmmm..... With that being said i am grateful that drive bit exists. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you I'll give that a shot as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

True. It is. However so Is not keeping my phone on me, unlocking the phone finding that app starting and stopping the app. Then there is remembering to stop and start the app. But ill take an app/function on the watch rather then all that. My only other option is to be 15,000-2,000 steps over and believe that I did them. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Its not faulty because it only happens in the truck, In my regular car its fine. It just really comes down to the suspension and the streets, which in my case neither of them are lined with gold hahaha. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Vibration is the trigger for sure. rest your watch hand on your lap while driving and it wont log steps. Hold the wheel or gear stick and it starts counting. I logged about 15,000 extra steps in a day using a hammer drill at work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You guys have it easy.  I fly helicopters for a living!

Pixel XL Oreo Ionic Airpods
Best Answer

Oh man you must hit 50,000 steps during one flight. The fitbit must think your an olympian lol. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am currently having this issue with the Iconic but did not have this problem with my Surge.  I really wish Fitbit would do something about it.  It’s odd bc the dashboard records/displays the “false” steps but if you dig down to the day-hour by hour—you can get the “real” number of steps.  Thankfully, the real number is what transfers to the group challenges.  However, it makes. For a pretty useless step dashboard.

Best Answer