Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback about Fitbit Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've never owned a Fitbit product.  I recently began using the Fitbit app as a way to log water, food and steps and I am enjoying it and finding it motivating.

I'm thinking about making the plunge and purchasing the Fitbit Ionic.  (I also was looking at the Blaze.)

So question, would you buy the Fitbit Ionic again?  Do you regret it?  Love it?  Think it's worth it or not?

Any feedback is appreciated.   Thank you in advance!  

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
463 REPLIES 463

Wow. So now there's a Versa? So instead of working on making the Ionic what it *should* have been at launch, they've been working on another model, altogether. I've felt like giving FB the benefit of the doubt... that maybe they're working real hard and only have one computer that they all share and the only fellow who knows how the build server works only works on Thursdays when the moon is full.... but this is maddening. This is Sparta...

Best Answer

...and it appears that the Versa has an SPO2 sensor, too.  Maybe that means the one on the Ionic will be put to use some day?

I still like the Ionic's styling over anything else out there.  I like that I can wear it in the shower.  The battery life is pretty good, too.  The major drawback, to me, is the music loading tribulations.  Another drawback is the lack of an audible alarm (like in any $30 digital watch).   I'd buy another if music transfer was truly painless and it would go beep.  Short of that, I'm happy to use the one I own and look at it's good features until it's time for something new. 

Brian

Best Answer

Just hope you didn't buy it thru Ebay, because they won't replace it. Mine stopped working after 2 months and they won't replace it due to warranty exclusions for authorized dealer. It came in a sealed case so it was new. 

Best Answer

Mine won't sync, it's been a problem from the beginning, and they keep having me reset and then it will work for a while then stop, now nothing will make it sync, they won't replace it because I bought it thru Ebay. The watch came in a factory sealed case, so it was new. I like the design but beware of warranty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Nick248, if you bought it on eBay then Fitbit won't be able to confirm that it is not counterfeit.  That is why they will not honour warranties from unauthorised sellers

Assuming it is not counterfeit, a factory reset should get you back going again.  On your Ionic go to About and then choose Factory Reser.  You will lose any unsynced data, but with luck, it will get you going again.

@mr_manager, at this stage, "Versa" is only a rumour.  But Fitbit is a pretty big company these days and it is very likely that they are working on a new device, even if not the supposed Versa -- they need to keep going and keep innovating.  

That does not mean, of course, that they have abandoned the Ionic (or other devices on the current product list).  I am pretty sure that there is a dedicated product team for each device, as well as a development team working on new devices.  Just because Fitbit may be bringing out something new does not mean they have abandoned current product line, or will take anything away at all from the team working on the Ionic...!  They have invested a lot in the Ionic and I think you can be confident that they will continue to make it better and better.

If you are having any issues with yours, be sure to post.  Someone is always here to help.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes
Why then did Fitbit replace a fitbit blaze a couple years ago, and why can't they inspect the return and tell if it's a counterfeit ?
Best Answer

@Nick248, like very many manufacturers, Fitbit has a well published list of authorised retailers.  Only replacing products purchased from them ensures that their base is not undermined.  Examining every possible product from customers would obviously be very labour intensive and time consuming.  Much simpler simply to make it clear, as they do, that only products from authorised sources will be warranted.

If they replaced a Blaze for you a couple of years ago from an unauthorised retailer, then I guess you got lucky.  Not surprising that you weren't so lucky a second time...

Seeing it from their point of view, if you got it from eBay, it may be that Fitbit never saw any profit from that transaction... Why should they now take responsibility for it?  No company would.  This is just standard. 

You probably got it well below RRP and you took your chances.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As an after thought, I believe the Ionic has a sync bug because I'm not the only one with the same problem, so if it's a fake, the they copied the same bug.

Best Answer
I dumped my ionic. Poor excuse for a watch with limited apps.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@Julia_G The Fitbit CEO two weeks ago publicly stated the company plans to launch a mass appeal smartwatch in 2018. Its coming, and its confirmed. The name is a rumor, the pictures leaked to wearable.com that recently ran a series of paid Fitbit advertorials.

Some warranties are only linked to the product and time since original sale. These warranties protect any buyer, and supports higher prices for used equipment. A good example - we could meet at Starbucks, you could plug the serial number of my iPhone into Apple check coverage webpage, and confirm the warranty is good thru Sept 15 of this year. Same with Dell computers, I've purchased several used Dell computers and the warranty transferred. 

Other warranties protect the authorized dealers, because a manufacturer wants dealers to stock inventory and handle returns and warranty claims. In exchange, the manufacturer restricts the warranty to purchases from authorized dealers only, to incentivize consumers to purchase from authorized dealers only. Its not about the manufacturer losing money, its about protecting their distribution channel from so-called free riders that have low overhead.

With electronics like Ionic it is easy for Fitbit to detect and reject counterfeit registration, because use of the product requires the tracker to electronically register with Fitbit via the Internet. We aren't talking about counterfeit perfume or clothing or Rolex watches.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

I totally agree with you @bbarrera and your example about Apple or Dell is perfect.

The answers posted by Fitbit's staff or support are always "politically correct" but many times they don't mean nothing.

They know perfectly when you swim, when you walk, when you run, etc. etc. and they are not able to recognize a serial number of owned products?

In almost 2020 is ridiculous that an electronic device connected to internet 24 hours a day can't check the warranty online.

In my opinion it's just an excuse to avoid refunding the owner. That's it.

Best Answer

Agreed. I have to believe the quality and connection issues are serious. I have been a long term owner of a surge. I am now doing dd on the ionic. I didn't do any on the surge and regretted it after 10 months.

I am not getting a fuzzy feeling. Julia was able to help me 12-14 months ago but the long term problem was build quality on my surge. Trying to gauge is the ionic better. So waiting and waiting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@tobingj, I can only speak for myself, but I have had no issues with my Ionic so far and am very happy with it.  I have an advantage in that in the EU the warranty is two years.  

When I grumble about my phone (as I often do) my kids ask me how old it is.  When I say 2 years they laugh and ask what do I expect?  For high tech stuff two years is apparently an eon...

Best Answer

YES, not only would I buy the Ionic again, but I pre-ordered the Ionic Adidas version, so I guess that proves I am more than HAPPY with the Ionic.  I have had minimal issues and just love the Ionic and what Fitbit represents!

Keep up the great work Fitbit and the Moderator Team is simply SUPERB!

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer

Aside from a minor pairing issue that resulted in me having to restart my phone, I love my Ionic!

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

at's great, I'm sure most are i\ok, however if your an unlucky owner who got one that won't pair anymore and bought thru Ebay, Fitbit won't replace mine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely not.

It doesn't sync. You have to jump through hoops just to get it to perform basic tasks.

Best Answer

If I had paid for it myself I would be upset, but it was a present so I didn't.  Although I did try to tell the buyer that I didn't believe it was worth the price tag before they bought it...

Allie
Best Answer

I purchased 2 Fitbit ionic trackers one for me one for my friend. Hers is broken. It deducts steps and has a bad heart rate monitor. Fitbit customer service seems to be well trained at stonewalling and indefinite holds. As a consumer I was wanting a little more than a 50% success rate out of these expensive trackers and support that does more than express their sorrow and place us on long holds. I will consider the device of your competitors when I am ready for upgrading again!

Best Answer

We bought 2 ionic trackers at the same time. Mine works but hers doesn’t. For as much as these things cost you’d think customer support wouldn’t be allowed to stonewall and place paying customers on indefinite holds!

I absolutely would not buy again. 

Best Answer