Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have looked up every way and done everything to try and update my Ionic with the new firmware...Nothing seems to be working....I've unpair....factory rest...turned phone Bluetooth  on and off.......etc....not sure what it is I'm missing or why it won't update. All I keep getting is the X and update fail....any ideas or suggestions?

Best Answer
42 REPLIES 42

Hi, I did a factory reset, then with the Fitbit App on the iPhone setup new device, replace former device.

and start all over, step by step, you get a question for the wifi netwerk and it will update the watch again my case.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank u  will the factory rest again I have a Samsung Galaxy note 4.......it didn't work the first time...it's so aggravating

Best Answer

Try with your mobile, I just added it with the + symbol to my fitbit device list in the fitbit App and it was seamless. Make sure you have properly connected to wifi directly to your Ionic in the initial set up procedure. The update takes about a half hour so be patient. There will be a blue wash that moves from left to right over the fitbit logo to show your progress.

During setup, you’re prompted to connect Ionic to your Wi-Fi network. Ionic uses Wi-Fi to download playlists and apps from the Fitbit App Gallery, and for faster firmware updates.
Ionic can connect to open, WEP, WPA personal, and WPA2 personal Wi-Fi networks.
(Your Ionic will not connect to 5GHz, WPA enterprise, or public Wi-Fi networks that require logins, subscriptions, or profiles)
If you see fields for a username or domain when connecting to the Wi-Fi network on a computer, the network isn’t supported.  For best results, connect Ionic to your home or work Wi-Fi network. Make sure you know the network password before connecting.

If you have already setup your Ionic and want to run the update, you can ADD the Wi-Fi network you are connected to from your mobile’s fitbit app:

1.    From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon () > your watch tile.
    2.    Tap or click Wi-Fi Settings.
    3.    Tap or click Add Network and follow the on-screen instructions to connect your watch.
Your Ionic will have a green check mark pop up on its face and vibrate briefly to acknowledge the connection has been made.

If you have already setup your Ionic and want to run the update, you can CHANGE the Wi-Fi network you are connected to from your mobile’s fitbit app:

Plug your watch into the charger (when there are 2 or more Wi-Fi networks in range, you can choose the network your watch should connect to)

1.    From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon () > your watch tile.
    2.    Tap or click Wi-Fi Settings. Wait a moment for the list of networks to appear.
    3.    Tap or click the network name and then tap Connect.

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issues with updating my Ionic on a Note 4. The WiFi will not connect at all. It constantly fails to connect to WiFi. Did you ever have success?

Best Answer

What is the latest firmware?  Mine is on 25.16.7 but I keep seeing 30.3.2 being discussed out here and when I sync, I'm not getting the indicator that there's a firmware update. ???

Best Answer
0 Votes

@taz4352 wrote:

What is the latest firmware?  Mine is on 25.16.7 but I keep seeing 30.3.2 being discussed out here and when I sync, I'm not getting the indicator that there's a firmware update. ???

I think the latest firmware update are for those in Europe and for those of us in the US we still have the 25.16.7 version. There is also the developer beta firmware updates if you signed up as a developer with the open SDK.

We discussed the Europe and US versions in this thread Oct 4th Firmware What's new?

Best Answer
0 Votes

mine says 27.30.3.2 but I have developer app - that may be the difference you are noticing 😉

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the info.

Best Answer

I have recorded my 12th attempt (and fail) to get my firmware updated so I can share with the support team. I am using a Note 4 in this video which is listed as a compatible device. I am beginning to think the watch I received is a lemon. https://youtu.be/uBEA9taiSww

Best Answer

Fitbit WILL NOT CONNECT TO WIFI. This is my 17th try. I have restarted/rebooted/reinstalled EVERYTHING. This is getting quite ridiculous. 

Best Answer

I don't know if it'll help but when I was setting up my Ionic I encountered failed 5 times.  I read somewhere in the forum that you will have to really position both the phone and Ionic right next to your router in order for the wifi setup to work.  I did just that and it went through (the setup and the update). 

Ionic with S9plus
Best Answer
0 Votes

I reached out to support and they gave these steps. They didn't end up working for me and after responding back that it didn't work, support didn't have anymore idea. 

Unfortunately, my only option is to return the watch. 😞

SUGGESTIONS FROM FITBIT SUPOORT
In order to further assist you, we will kindly ask you to follow the steps below:

1. Turn your Fitbit device off and back on . ( To restart your watch, press and hold the back and bottom buttons for a few seconds until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen.)
  2. Try the setup process again.
  3. If you can't set up after a restart, reboot your phone or tablet (turn it off and then back on).
  4. Try setting up your device again.
  5. If you can't set up after the reboot, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Fitbit app.

Remember, Ionic can connect to open, WEP, WPA personal, and WPA2 personal Wi-Fi networks. Your watch won’t connect to 5GHz, WPA enterprise, or public Wi-Fi networks that require logins, subscriptions, or profiles. If you see fields for a username or domain when connecting to the Wi-Fi network on a computer, the network isn’t supported.
For best results, connect Ionic to your home or work Wi-Fi network. Make sure you know the network password before connecting.

Best Answer

The firmware update that was released last week is best loaded onto the Ionic using BLUETOOTH.  I had NO issues using Bluetooth!

Wi-Fi on the other hand, is best for the music upload to the Ionic. 

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just an idea:  

try a different WiFi network.

i have no problem with WiFi, so hardware of the Ionic is ok. I saw on tube a demo About not connecting to WiFi. And the Fitbit and Ionic got the blame, but to be honest:

the time that the phone needed only to find WiFi was terrible. A bad WiFi network. Try Some network with your friend before come to conclusions

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah...so I tried 4 different Wi-Fi connections... 

Have heard that Fitbit might issue a recall for Ionics purchased during release until 5th October? Has anyone else heard something similar? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I returned my first Ionic because it would not sync (put it in the mail to Amazon today). I was going to wait for the credit back into my account, but I ended up giving in and visited the local Target to pick up another Ionic. 

I took it out of the box and quickly synced it up in the same way before. Everything went flawlessly. I will see how long it lasts, but the returned Fitbit most definitely had an issue connecting to WIFI and syncing.

Best Answer

That's odd - I didn't have any problems at all. I assume your ionic is plugged in and can normally connect to your phone?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is blouthooth is really working for the firmware update ? I am completely give up for the WiFi update and errors -WIFI fail !!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an iPhone 6s and a Fitbit Ionic.  I went into setting on my phone and removed the Ionic from Bluetooth.  I went to the Fitbit app on my phone and it told me there was an update waiting.  I updated it from there and the firmware updated successfully.

Best Answer
0 Votes