Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update available for Fitbit Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm being prompted by the app to do a firmware update.

Last time I did one it killed the device completely, I had to get

a refurbed replacement on the warranty.

Should I be brave and go for it???

Has anyone done the latest one ?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
20 REPLIES 20

@CMP936 Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks for your post and for all the details shared, I understand your concern about the firmware update that's available for your Fitbit Ionic. Please note that Fitbit occasionally releases free feature enhancements and bug fixes for your device through firmware and Fitbit OS updates. For details about each type of update, see What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update?

Having said that, I would recommend to upgrade your Fitbit Ionic to the latest firmware version and if found any trouble once it has been updated, you can always contact us back and we'll be glad to continue assisting you. 

See you around.

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@CMP936  -  Have a look in this forum at the problems others are experiencing after the update.

If your watch is working it would be foolish to risk updates at this time, especially as you are unlikely to get your watch replaced anymore [ no longer made].

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Hi Cindy, is it true that the ionic is no longer made? I understood when I bought it 2 years ago was the flagship of the brand.

If I decide to opt for one of the other fitbit devices in the future, would it keep my history if I use the same credentials 

to log in to it. Thanks, Col.

Best Answer
0 Votes

THe heart rate monitor on mine stopped a few days ago so decided to reset and see if it cured the problem. I applied the update but i now am the proud owner of a dead fitbit!

Best Answer

Hi everyone. It's good to see you participating in the Community Forums.

@Guy_ Thanks for your input. @CMP936 Please note that we're always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. Although the Fitbit Ionic was a popular product for us, we decided to discontinue and it is no longer available on Fitbit.com. In case you decide to get a new Fitbit product you can set it up using the same email address and all your history will be there.

@Looietyke Thanks for the details shared and for trying to do the update. To work on this together, may I know if your Ionic is not turning on? Do you see something on the screen? If you haven't done so, I suggest trying a restart. See How do I restart my Fitbit device?

See you around. 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer

I had the exact same issue yesterday. My hear rate monitor wasn't working so I updated it and now my Ionic is dead 😞

I am unable to restart it; it's completely dead (and plugged in to charge).

Best Answer

Hi there @kinglouie14th

Thanks for taking the time to share what you've experienced with your Fitbit Ionic and for already trying to fix the issue. I suggest trying the following: 

1. Important: Please note that you'll need to reinstall any apps on your device after the reset, and if you couldn’t sync your device, then any data on the Fitbit device will be lost.  
  2. On the device, hold all three buttons for about 10 to 12 seconds. 
  3. When the Fitbit logo disappears, quickly release the bottom right button, continuing to hold down the left and top right buttons (releasing the bottom right button as soon as the logo disappears is time sensitive). 
  4. When the device vibrates, release all buttons. 
  5. Wait for approximately 1-2 minutes while the device clears all data. Eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays fitbit.com/global/us/setup
  6. When the device successfully resets, please set up your Ionic as new device. See How do I set up my Fitbit device?

Hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Cindy and thank you for the response

I can confirm that my ionic has no power so the fix you recommended is of no use...completely dead

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes mine is exactly the same

Best Answer

I'd say do it...  The device was designed to be updated, do it.  If it breaks or stops working?  Maybe we're using the wrong device?  That's on FitBit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Cindy,

I tried the reset before when it still had power. Now it is completely dead. It has been plugged into a charger. Holding all three buttons does nothing, no signs of life. 😞

Note that before it completely died, it was showing five vertical stripes; those started out in shades of green/blue (like the fitbit logo, and probably aligned with the dots that normally appear), changed to include some red hues, and then completely went away. It vibrated for many seconds, and that was the end.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your responses. It's good to see you participating in the Community Forums.

Since the inconvenience has persisted, my best recommendation is contact our Support Team so they can look deeper into the issue and help you with this matter. You can contact them through chat or over the phone. Click here to get connected. Make sure to mention the steps you've followed, so they can help you from there. 

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did it ! And my watch died so I don't recommend it ...

It is the same here 😡

Moderator Edit: Merged replies 

Best Answer

It's nice to have you on board @MO210494.

Thanks for the details shared on your post. I'm very sorry for the experience that you have had with your Ionic after the update. If you already restarted your device and you've followed the instructions on this post and the issue persists, let's contact our Support TeamI know they will be glad to help you out and provide a solution.

Catch you later. 

Best Answer

I followed the instructions but my watch is still die. I'm wondering if the update is not done in order to buy an other watch...

Best Answer

I suggest noone updates their Ionic unless they are ready to buy another one. 

You can live without the heart rate monitor, which is what motivated me to
update the Ionic. Through no fault of my own, quite to the contrary
actually, my Fitbit has died because I followed Fitbit's instructions to
update my Ionic. Yes, it appears they have found a way to drum up more
business. They offered me the same 35% discount that I see they have offered
others who followed their instructions and now own a Fitbit Brick, like me.
I replied to their offer stating that every Fitbit product I have owned, and
ones I have purchased for my family, have all been replaced due to defects.
This includes Fitbit Flex, Charge, Surge and Ionic. I suggested they offer
me a 50% discount in light of that fact, but I have not received a response,
and since it's way past their usual response time, I do not expect a
response. I didn't mention this in my response to them (it wouldn't matter
anyway), but my Aria scale has been replaced due to defects as well.

I have been a Fitbit user since 2014, but that is now over.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer

@MO210494 Thanks for your response. @kinglouie14th Thank you for joining us in this thread. 

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that your Fitbit Ionic experienced. I totally understand how you feel about this. Please note that any feedback posted in the forums is always welcome as it helps to improve our products, services and overall environment. If you exhausted all troubleshooting steps and contacted our support team, they decided to provide a discount towards a purchase of a new device based on the status of your device. For more information about our warranty policy, I recommend visiting the following link: https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/legal/returns-and-warranty

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

All, just as a final update, Fitbit refused my request for 50% discount, only offering me the same 35% discount; the Sense can be had by anyone for 33% off. Anyway, I'm still using my Aria scale, but true to my word, I am now the proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy Watch4, and I have few regrets. I liked the Fitbit Coach app a lot, but they have changed that for the worse with Fitbit Premium; it's still better than Samsung's fitness feature.

Best Answer

Ironically enough, the day I was eWasting my Ionic, it turned on!  Not sure what FitBit God (or Gremlin) was watching over me on this one...  Today, it does have some odd behavior.  I no longer see phones messages on the watch, I simply get a vibration.  So, I use it sparingly and rely on my Versa3 which is a great watch thus far.  So FitBit has my attention a "bit" longer 🙂  Hope you all have a Safe Blessed "Merry" Christmas and a prosperous 2022.

Best Answer