Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic Died While Swimming

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was using my Fitbit Ionic for the first time in a few months swimming at my local public pool. I've had no issues swimming in pools before but they were salt pools not chlorinated. My watch recorded 6 laps and after another 2 I looked at my watch and noticed the swimming app had crashed. I tried to start the app again but I could not swipe. I tried pressing the buttons to no avail. The screen blinked a few times and completely shut down. Nothing I did would revive it. It was not low battery as I had charged it fully the day before. As per other posts I tried resetting it which has worked in this situation before (I was walking and not swimming however) and nothing happened. I tried the factory reset with the buttons and nothing. Got home and plugged in the charger .The Fitbit logo came up and then disappeared after a few seconds back to the black screen. I again tried to reset it. The logo came up, flashed a few times and then disappeared again. Trying to reset it after that resulted in the watch doing nothing. I'm worried as I was using it in a chlorinated pool whether or not that busted my watch. I was nowhere near past the 50m depth range as the pool was only 2.1m in the deep end and I always stayed on top of the water doing breast stroke. Please help (I am from NZ). This watch cost me $400 and I only purchased it for it's swimming features. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I swim regularly in chlorinated pools with no problems. It sounds like you need to contact Support (link in my signature) as something has seriously gone wrong.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I ended up taking it into the store I bought it at and they found that water had somehow gotten into the watch which is weird considering it should be waterproof up to 50m. They concluded that I must have bought a faulty watch which happens sometimes. They gave me a replacement watch which was great and am now back to using my new watch. Haven't swum with it yet but it should be fine.

Best Answer

My Ionic has also failed after swimming. The screen constantly displayed the time for around 2 hours and none of the function buttons would work. After two hours the screen went blank the battery had been 80% charged n the morning. The device seems to be working in all other respects as data is still being captured and is able to be viewed through the APP. Has recharged but the screen remains dead. It is one week out of warranty. Looks like I will replace it with an Apple 4.

is that a good idea?

Best Answer
0 Votes
You could try getting it replaced under the consumer guarantees act. If
that doesn't work then yeah you can replace it
Best Answer
0 Votes