Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic Price Disparity UK

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This afternoon I called to pre-order a Fitbit Ionic with a leather strap. However, while the sales "advocate" was going through the features with me - I noted that the Fitbit was $299.00 USA and £299.00 UK - at the current rates that is near £60 - £70 (depending on the exchange rate day) difference.  I mentioned this to advocate and she told me there had been quite a few complaints.  A quick look online took me to Twitter a well-known Men's outfitter had tweeted the same.  The advocate told me that they are waiting on word from the head office as to what is happening with the pricing. Nevertheless, I did not order and felt I was being taken advantage off.

Let's start here, generally, when a manufacturer releases a new product there is an introductory pre-sales offer for its members or if they can't manage that, then the regular price.  In this instance, Fitbit decided they could get away with charging a lot more in the UK and do as Apple once did when they tried to charge the exchange rate and take advantage of the current problems (ie Brexit).  The problem with that is Fitbit are not Apple and this type of behaviour is noticeable, and especially amongst its community.

Fitbit cannot blame import tax or Brexit as tax has not gone up and Brexit is not in force yet and may never be. So, why the large price hike?  It doesn't make any sound sense except to annoy or possibly lose existing Fitbit members/users.  

Will Fitbit be addressing this issue, and if so, will they lower the price in-line with the US Fitbit prices?  At the moment it would make more sense (if you have somebody you know in the US) to order it in the US and have it sent, even after sending you would still be saving £40 odd pounds. I for one will not spend over the listed price in another country and especially with that amount of pricing disparity.

Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

The UK price is noticeably lower than the Eurozone price with similar tax regimes and identical minimum 2-year warranty.

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You've only got to check the current price differences for the Blaze to know that Fitbit is clearly trying to rip us all off in the UK with the Ionic!

Not impressed and I won't be buying until it is addressed...

Best Answer

Same Gregory, I'm not purchasing either. My Surge has given up and ready for an upgrade, hence my phone call to Fitbit and informed about the amount of complaints. 

For the few who think it's a acceptable and it's a matter of economics, I strongly suggest you look again as the economics don't add up.  If you keep accepting the status quo things will never change.

Best Answer

why in US the Ionic price is set at about 300$ while in EU we get the special price 360€? yes EUROS! Aka 430$!!

Also considering the fact that Pandora doesn't exist here and it can't be used, we cannot put our own music because with Spotify you can't download your own music. 

Also paying with NFC is more than rare if not almost un existing in EU. 

So rather than 130$ dollars more, you should make us pay 130$ less :,(

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sa_zu, I don't know that it Fitbit doesn't like the EU as much as it is the rules & regulations of the EU make doing business there more expensive. Their mandate to manufactures how much and how long their warranty must cover, etc., drives up costs.   

Best Answer

Apple products they mostly convert like 200dollars in US, 200euros in EU, which is already more! 

But getting a 130dollars difference for something they know we cannot even use in full potential.... it sucks 😞 

Best Answer

This is always the case with all electronics, I'd say it's pointless to argue. 

From Sweden here, and Apple usually charges like $1000 for a laptop, that's 7900SEK here - with the dollar now being way more expensive than usual. So instead they charge 10000SEK and then add VAT to 12500. This equals to $1574 for the same product.

Lo and behold, the Ionic is $299. They make that 3000SEK then add VAT to 3500SEK. This equals to $440. For the same product, with actually less functions since there's no way we're gonna get Fitbit Pay 2017, or 2018 or ever for that matter.

Best Answer

@GrumpyCyclist wrote:

Remember too that most states will probably add a sales tax to that $299 but it won't be anywhere near 20% that we pay. Sales tax rules in the US are a bit of a minefield and I have no idea exactly how they work.

Sales tax in the US really is painfully simple. Yes the rate varies from state to state, but just plan on 7% and you are safe. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Although I doubt it will appease you, this disparity is not restricted to Fitbit or Apple and is now common when purchasing across USA/UK/EU. It's a fact of (current) life. In the old days, yes we could save on exchange rate but now manufacturers keep a much closer level of pricing parity.

I've just looked up the price of my headphones; $299 in BestBuy : £300 on Amazon UK. It's a fact of life and simple exchange rate translation doesn't guarantee simple local price calculation.

I agree, I would not expect Fitbit or any other USA manufacturer to try an adjust prices majorly based on whatever teh current exchange rate may be.  They need to have a buffer in there as well.  As far as things costing more, that is exactly HOW it should be, you are buying an item exported from the US.  When I buy a soccer/football jersey from Germany I pay quite a bit more than if I buy it in the US.....but I buy it from Germany because my favotire Bundesliga team's gear is not sold in the US.  

Even when I buy an occassional item from Tennis Warehouse Europe, usually an item that TW USA does not carry.....I pay quite a bit.  Not to get too political here, but exports should cost more from the US, they do for every other country in the world.

Best Answer
0 Votes

racertempo wrote:  

As far as things costing more, that is exactly HOW it should be, you are buying an item exported from the US.

Actually, it is far more likely that an item is both made and exported from China. I don't believe Fitbit is required to warehouse in the US before sending to Europe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Regarding price differences, the most obvious difference between US and EU is the 1-year versus 2-year warranty. 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, i am writing from Finland. No way we are be able to use FitBit pay anytime in the near future. Pandora too, I cannot even access to the web page "because I am not in the US" it says...  besides, Spotify is better, I have its premium version for the whole family! Does does pandora even have Finnish metal bands? 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

As has been mentioned. US price is excluding tax, UK has VAT, import duty and exchange rate.

But look at it this way. For £50 LESS you can get an apple watch Series 1 or for just £30 more you can get the latest and greatest. Which is exactly what ive just done (£300 for a fitbit, you guys are having a giggle arent you).

Looking at the early Ionic reviews it's the right move. Very good for fitness but nothing the other devices cant do but very bad for the smartwatch features, nothing the Blaze cant do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bbarrera wrote:

racertempo wrote:  

As far as things costing more, that is exactly HOW it should be, you are buying an item exported from the US.

Actually, it is far more likely that an item is both made and exported from China. I don't believe Fitbit is required to warehouse in the US before sending to Europe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Regarding price differences, the most obvious difference between US and EU is the 1-year versus 2-year warranty. 

one of my Surge replacement came from California to France

Best Answer
0 Votes

We are paying $80 more in Australia!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got my apple watch series 3 and am very happy. Only slightly more in cost than an iconic but so much more in functionality. 

And the battery life thing is a non issue. Bigger battery and apple have really optimised things. So far with lots of usage I'm going to bed with 70-80% battery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit's Ionic smartwatch arrives October 1st for $300

The news can be found on Engadget.com

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ALLEN1120

In which country?

Cos in Australia it arrives $445

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Yasiv Oh sweet, It's $299.95 on Amazon , US.

Best Answer
0 Votes