Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flipboard on Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all - for those of you who have Flipboard downloaded to your Ionic, do you find it to be pretty useless?  

I just dont don't get why each article is abruptly cut short so u can read only at most the first three sentences and you are left wondering what the rest of the article is all about.

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Yeah, that plus only having the option to choose 1 of 7 fitness related categories make it pretty much worthless. I uninstalled it right away.

The New York Times app is the same way. Just give me the full text. I don't mind scrolling. 

Best Answer

Same here. Wish we could login with our flipboard account and sync our own categories/magazines. The way it is noe has no value for me. English fitness related articles is not what I want to read in The Netherlands.

Best Answer

They needed some big names on the app list, a news app like Flipboard is useless by design on such a small screen. 

Best Answer

Agreed....wish the whole news story was there and not just the first couple of lines...

Best Answer

Honestly,  this needs to be fixed asap. Wish there was a review kind of thing on the Fitbit, so as to let them know this

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agree. What is the point of the flipboard app when you can't read the full article. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. I agree with you all.

But I thought id share some of my experience. I work with the team that build the Asken Diet app on the app gallery for Ionic/Versa. ... and some of the stuff we learned from building our app likely explains some of the reasons behind why the Flipboard (and other news apps) are not as we'd expect them to be.

Our app is a diet advice app built for iOS/Android. The advice generates nutritional advice text. But when we made the app for the Ionic/Versa, we ran in to some technical limitations in the Ionic and more specifically the FitbitOS.

It cannot display long scrollable text.  The way text is shown on the Ionic/Versa, its considered "cards". So those cards can only show a few lines of text. I don't know why Fitbit software is doing it this way, but that is the limitation. So your/my frustration shouldn't be at Flipboard (imo), because it is likely they didn't want to build their app this way, its due to how the FitbitOS reads text.  

Think of any other text you've seen on the Ionic/Versa, its never longer than a few lines.

Best Answer

They should still update the app to include more topics especially as this being the case of limited lines being displayed. The topics that are available are ones you really need the whole article.

What good is the beginning of a fitness article that promises great workouts and you cant get to the actual suggestions. If you then find you were interested in the article you would have to search the internet for the exect article (which you most probably wont find) to continue reading.

Better topics would include for example world politics or something. For example if you read the intro of an article thats tittled "Trump fires more staff" that would probably be enouph info for you anyway. Even if it is not, a simple google search would bring up hundreds of articles on the same issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dinuka I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing your feedback about this app to make it more user friendly. I think your ideas are good. 

I'd recommend sending this feedback to the development team of this app so they can take your recommendations into consideration. I noticed they don't have any contact details available, so please follow the steps shown on this post in order to send your feedback.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes