Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS connection problem

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I brought my fitbit Ionic 3 months ago and ran with the GPS Tracker for few times which was using 1 to 2 mins to connect GPS. Recently the connection progress became longer to more than 5mins and even disconnected during running. The GPS was even lost connection in my marathon where I used it to regulate my speed. Sometimes I leave it under connecting for more than 15 mins but no connection eventually.

I feel pretty frustrated about connecting GPS by chance. I've tried restarting the watch, turning off and on GPS etc. May I have any solution about that?

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Hi, @WesleyC, I have to say that I have never had any problems connecting the GPS with my Ionic -- it connects within a few moments.

Things that can interfere with GPS connection are if there are a lot of tall buildings or high mountains around or dense tree cover -- basically anything that blocks a clear view of the sky (and thus connection with orbiting satellites).  Some people have suggested that very heavy cloud cover can also be a. factor, however, I do not think that this is correct.  

The factors that can make it difficult to connect can also cause GPS to disconnect in the middle of an activity.  Usually it will reconnect. but if the connection loss is for long enough it will simply draw a straight line from where it lost connection to where it picked up again (because it does not know how you got from one point to the other).

Also, sometimes it can take longer to connect if you have travelled many miles (like hundreds) since your last connection, as I believe the devices have some ability to store where they last connected in order to speed up connection.

I would recommend going to an open area, if possible away from buildings, mountains, and forests and try to connect your Ionic as if you were doing a run or hike.  Note how long it takes to connect.  You might want to try it again, in the same place, on a second day, and note again the connection time.  Although I don't think cloud cover should be a factor, ideally perform this experiment on a day that is not heavily clouded.  Basically I am suggesting that you attempt to connect your Ionic under absolutely ideal conditions.

If, under ideal conditions, it is still taking more than 5 minutes to connect, or failing to connect at all, it could suggest that there is a problem with the GPS chip in your Ionic.

In that case it would be a matter of getting in touch with Fitbit Customer Support on contact.fitbit.com and letting them know the troubleshooting steps you have tried.  They can look into this more deeply for you.

If, on the other hand, it does connect readily during ideal conditions, then it is likely that the GPS chip is functioning as expected, and some other issue (such as too many buildings or trees etc) is the reason you are having this trouble.

I hope this helps.  Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been having the same issue with GPS connection taking up to 10 minutes at least once per week. 

Best Answer
0 Votes