Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve used the run option 3 times now on the same route and it’s been a different distance each time, anyone else experiencing this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
21 REPLIES 21

GPS is an approximation. When you think about the technology behind it, minute timing differences between 3 satellite signals, it’s really amazing.  My runs have all been slightly under estimated mostly it seems because corners have been rounded off.  Not a huge deal in my opinion. 

Best Answer

I’m not talking slightly out, I’m talking half a K out. Was with someone wearing a Surge so you’d think the technology in my Ionic would be better ......

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GIngerBlonde wrote:

I’ve used the run option 3 times now on the same route and it’s been a different distance each time, anyone else experiencing this?

It might be helpful if you provided a little more information, rather than just "different distance". For example, how did you start the activity, where were you running, how far, what were the differences, do you have the GPS tracks, have you looked at the .gpx file, etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GIngerBlonde wrote:

I’m not talking slightly out, I’m talking half a K out. Was with someone wearing a Surge so you’d think the technology in my Ionic would be better ......

Remember that the technology associated with GPS is sin space. The differences between Surge and Ionic won't be making that much difference to GPS perofrmance as that's outside the control of either device.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GIngerBlonde wrote:

Are you waiting for it to connect before you hit start?

Best Answer

Good answer, I’ll make sure it’s connected next time and hopefully it’ll be correct like my second run. Thank you

Best Answer

Where do I find the gpx file? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GIngerBlonde wrote:

Where do I find the gpx file? 

if you go to your dashboard on the website and open an activity, you should have an option to save as a TCX file.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GIngerBlonde wrote:

Really depends on the specifics. I've double-tracked a lot of cycling rides (iPhone and GPS Bike Computer), and in general the mileage is within 1% of each other. Say on one of my standard routes, a 40.2 mile ride, I'd see 40.2 on bike computer and 40.5 on iPhone 5s or 7. Sometimes they match, 40.2 and 40.2. When I look closely at GPS track, the GPS bike computer has a cleaner track versus the cellphone which is on my back (in a jersey pocket).

From an accuracy standpoint, I'd say its reasonable to expect mileage accuracy within 2% - unless you are running in a heavily wooded area and then its not going to be as accurate.

In conclusion, if you are running 5km without heavy tree coverage, and getting 4.5km or 5.5km that is 10% error and not reasonable. Just post the actual mileage for the 3 routes and we can better comment.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Two issues I've noted with mine, which happen maybe every other run:

1. corners get rounded off

2. it shows me running on a parallel street or walkway

Maybe 1-2 times/month it'll completely screw up and lose signal for a km, but like others have said, the accuracy is based on three satellites.  If my displayed route is 20 feet to the left of where I ran, it's not a huge deal.  If it starts screwing up Strava segments I'll be ticked.  So far, it's been good enough.

FWIW, the Ionic acquires satellite signal twice as fast as my Apple Watch S2 did, and a little faster than my Surge. 

Ionic / Aria / retired Surge / retired Blaze / a few more retired Fitbits / three failed Nike Fuel Bands
Best Answer

I can't even get my GPS info to show up in the exercise log. it shows up as not using GPS when I know it was connected and felt the vibration before I started. not sure if it's the ionic or software app. I can use my IPhone and using the Fitbit app to connect to GPS  and it will log the info no problem...just like my Charge 2 did.  any ideas on how to troubleshoot that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry no, and my GPS is still out. I make sure it’s connected at the start of my run but everytime I look down it’s not connected. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So it turns out I had a faulty Ionic, replaced it and the GPS on the new one is spot on!

Best Answer
I called fitbit support and they are sending me a New Ionic.
Best Answer

I have had great Gps signals for my runs until I went to Belize, apparently I can run on water.Screenshot_2018-01-20-15-21-43.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Based on feedback received from Fitbit, calculation on the distance is always done on steps and not what GPS measures! Advice was to adjust the step length to get a better approximation. I wonder why Fitbit deceided to have GPS built in when not to more exactly measure the exercise outdoors. Only to show the route on the map?

Other manufacturers use the GPS exactly for this.

@GIngerBlondewrote:

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you, that makes more sense 👍🏼
Best Answer
0 Votes

Got my ionic on Friday and the GPS for running always says connecting and never connects.  I have ensured the settings allow GPS, I have tried both restarting and factory resetting the device. Should I be thinking of getting a refund? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tried turning it on and off several times and no tall buildings and the weather is lovely, any other suggestions? Seems like a bit of a cop out to me. For a £300 device this is pathetic  

Best Answer
0 Votes