Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to repair an ionic stuck in a boot-loop

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit Ionic is stuck in a boot loop. The only thing that I can try is a factory reset (three button minus right bottom release after 15s and vibration) and it doesn't seem to work at all. Tried it over and over many times. It never shows up to pair and is constantly stuck at the splash screen. This happened after a firmware update. 

Fitbit support will not send a replacement because I did not purchase the item for an "authorized retailer", which is really unacceptable. It's a software issue and I have no way to reflash the mcu firmware to solve the problem and this really violates the principle of the "right to repair". Is there any way I can get the watch fixed, free or otherwise? Or should I make a decorative necklace out of it?  Happy to listen to creative ideas on how to make use of a malfunctioning ionic watch as well. 

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity 

Best Answer
64 REPLIES 64

That's great news @Noahsmom02, thank you for the update. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

This just happened to me (stuck in content reboot loop). It was caused by a new 3rd party clockface. Resetting it by holding the buttons didn’t work, neither did force-quitting the app or logging out from the app or restarting my phone. I tried installing a Fitbit clockface but it could never interrupt the reboot loop. I finally got out of it by waiting for my Ionic to restart, then quickly swiping from the clockface to one of the app screens (since I was pretty sure the clockface was causing the problem), then installing a Fitbit clockface from there. Going to contact the 3rd party clockface developer to let them know that there might be an issue with their clockface...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for responding. I tried all the different options for restarting it. I was able to clear it up once, then a new download automatically started and it was toast again. Fitbit ended up replacing mine, I will not be putting 3rd party clockfaces on mine again.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

@RatedE wrote:

This just happened to me (stuck in content reboot loop). It was caused by a new 3rd party clockface. Resetting it by holding the buttons didn’t work, neither did force-quitting the app or logging out from the app or restarting my phone. I tried installing a Fitbit clockface but it could never interrupt the reboot loop. I finally got out of it by waiting for my Ionic to restart, then quickly swiping from the clockface to one of the app screens (since I was pretty sure the clockface was causing the problem), then installing a Fitbit clockface from there. Going to contact the 3rd party clockface developer to let them know that there might be an issue with their clockface...

There is no possibility the 3rd party clockface could have created the bootloop as the SDK provided by Fitbit doesn't go into the core of the Fitbit firmware. The situation occurred happened incidentally, I'm sorry as I anyway experienced the same issue and Fitbit sent me a replacement since under warranty. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thx for the reply but I switched to several other clockfaces for a day and had zero problems, then tried this same clockface that caused the reboot loop problem and I just encountered the exact same problem. Spent 1/2 hour trying to get out of the reboot. So this is definitely an issue involving this particular clockface and my Fitbit...anyways, back to other clockfaces now 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for for sharing your experiences with this @RatedE and @Noahsmom02, it's good to know that has been of help to other people, I'm sure it will be useful to other users in the forum. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

So I will start with how much I love my Ionic and my Surge before that. 

So recieved this as a Christmas present 14 months ago and well it's in the dreaded boot loop. I understand that the warranty is only 12 months, but really for a watch that costs 270 I was shocked at the support for it is sub par.

I understood that when I contacted support that I would boot get a replacement but I was hoping for sone sort of discount. I have been a loyal customer for 5 watches so far. Now I was offered a discount but 25% off was not really worth it, if you had offered 50 that would of been better. 

I am sorry to say good bye to our long friendship but it seems that you don't respect me as a customer anymore. I saw that I can get a Samsung gear S3 for 200.00.

Best Answer

Hello @AK_Q, I'm really sorry to see that you've experienced trouble with your Ionic stuck on reboot loop, and that your experience with Customer Support was negative. I know that every case is reviewed separately, and as you've mentioned already, if the device was out of warranty it would not be possible for them to provide other alternatives. You can check the complete policy here, which would start counting from the date of purchase. 

However, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the product in this thread, and your feedback about the discount that was offered to you. All the comments received from users are helpful to continue improving products and services. 

I hope to see you around in the forums.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I didn't have a negative experience, they replaced my Ionic since it was under 1 year old.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Excellent, thank you for sharing your experience, it's good to know that you've received a replacement @Noahsmom02

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got a replacement Ionic after having problems with notifications and Wi-fi not working. And all have been fine for a little while.

Yesterday I started to have problems with my replacement Ionic. So I decided to do a factory reset. Witch resulted in giving me the "Data not cleared" error. After following instructions I located elsewhere on the fitbit community, I managed to delete the Ionic from the app and added it again, but after the firmware update I am now stuck in a boot loop. I have tried all kinds of ways to try to reset the Ionic again, but without any other result than starting up in the boot loop again.

So what do I do now? 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! Yeah, I had that "data not cleared" error the last time my Ionic decided to stop working. Now, it won't connect and after numerous shutdowns, resets, and a factory reset, it's stuck in a reboot loop. And the GPS hasn't worked correctly in 6 months...

Any advice?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same problem.  Fitbits only solution was to buy another one at a 25% discount.  Against my better judgement and principles, I bought another one (bad chioce).  This one will not update and I am getting the same BS I got before from customer support.  Where has the quality or acceptable custiome solutions gone from Fitbit products?

Best Answer

Yeah, I have a whole message chain over 6 months as the GPS got progressively worse until it stopped working, literally weeks out of warranty. I can't imagine the Ionic is better now than it was in May last year. 

Are any of the major issues fixed? Is it possible to change the time on the Ionic through the watch interface, for example?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since my unit was under a year old I got a replacement unit form Fitbit. And they told me too just dispose of the old one at a recycle-senter.

The new one has been working fine ever since I got it.

So crossing fingers that I don't get more problems.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you serious? How dare you say this issue is resolved and there MANY othe people having this issue with bricked devices. Mine is bricked, same issue with logo reappearing continuously. There's no way to factory reset. I insist that Fitbit send me a brand new device or I'll make a Youtube with prove how unstable your products are. 

Best Answer

Yeah. Even tho my Ionic is working well at the moment. I don't think I will go for a Fitbit next time. IT has been way too much hassel. 😕

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Kim_, thank you for sharing this information about what you've been experiencing with the Ionic and GPS. 

I've sent your information to the Customer Support team for further assistance with this, but was informed that you already have a case created or that you already got in touch with them. I hope everything goes well. 

@marcf123  and @nickbiker, I'm aware that other users are have experienced something similar. The team of developers is already aware of this behavior, they working to find a solution as soon as possible, but there's no specific time frame at the moment. Thank you for your feedback and confirming that you already contacted the Support team  @marcf123

Thank you for sharing your experience with this @Br0shie, it's good to know you received a replacement.  

Let me know if you have further questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had this happen to me as well, after 33 days, I called Fitbit and they sent me a replacement, and the replacement took 2 hours to setup because all 3 of my devices (2 phones and 1 computer) kept finding and dropping it and giving me and error, I even went with my primary phone all the way in the back of the house where I have a wireless router to have internet there with my phone so I can update the phone to use it, finally got it working.

But the older one had the same issue, 2 1/2 weeks after purchase it seemed to have stopped syncing, but I was unaware that it did as I don't have the app running in the background all the time since the app drains my battery constantly searching for the watch (Big problem Fitbit should not be searching for devices since one is already connected) so after 33 days from purchase I looked at the clock on the wall and noticed my watch was behind by 30 mins, so I figured I'd sync up with my phone. Nope for an hour I tried, then I figured okay I'll do a factory reset on the watch, (BIG MISTAKE) the factory reset caused the boot loop and couldn't get out of it, called Fitbit and explained what happened and what I tried, and that's when they told me they were sending me a new unit, which I got yesterday, (crossing fingers this works).

There are a lot of things with this version I noticed that has many issues that they need to fix and stop worrying about new products. I have a blaze as well which is what I upgraded from to the ionic. My Blaze SAVED my life, it caught my massive heart attack (48yrs old, got the widowmaker heart attack. only 2% survive this type of heart attack) where I was able to get help in time to save me. And for that reason I purchased this one as it had more features and being that it saved me the newer one would be better right?

Well I will say if this issue happens again I will be highly disappointed and will move onto something else, but for now I am going to stick with Fitbit, but there is a lot of things this Ionic needs, but it seems they might have moved on and abandoned there client base if this issue has been going on for a year + already, but I wish I am wrong.

Fix the software bugs.

You do know your in the ionic forum, not the blaze, I have a blaze and I have never encountered this issue.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

No I did not realize I was in the iconic forum but what does it matter. There are multiple complaints about the fitbit blaze technology glitz where it goes into continuous boot loop. The company  reps say "sorry about your luck.They should have done a recall. I will never buy a fitbit again.

Best Answer
0 Votes