Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrectly showing Too many stairs

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Morning guys my ionic is playing up
I’ve tried resetting etc but it started after using it in a swimming pool while I was on holiday
Basically it seems to think every step is up stairs
I used to do 30-60 flights of stairs a day but since I used it in the pool it shows as I’m doing 300 plus flights every day and I’m definitely not doing that amount every day! What can I do to make it right?

All other data seems correct

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@jonathanjeter Thanks for getting back. I appreciate the screenshots you've attached. 

In this case, I've shared your post with our Support team and they will continue assisting you. 

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

I'm having the same issue, but I contacted support and they blamed it on weather, humidity and atmospheric conditions and basically said there was nothing they could do about it. They recommended that I manually adjust the number of floors on a daily basis.

Update: I'm having the "too many floors" issue with my Ionic. I've contacted support and they gave me the typical, weather conditions, humidity, etc. answer and suggested that I manually remove the floors on a daily basis. I got a fitibit so I wouldn't have to manually adjust counts on a daily basis. How do I just remove the floors altogether? I don't want it affecting my other stats and I definitely didn't climb 2700 floors last month!

What I don't understand is that it worked really well for the first 6 months and then suddenly it started multiplying floors like crazy. On a day when I have no elevation changes at all, it will still register at least 30 floors for the day

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @Gooneron and @jonathanjeter. Thanks for the details mentioned and I appreciate that @jonathanjeter mentioned he contacted our Support team. 

Your device uses both an accelerometer and altimeter to track floors, and registers a floor when detecting continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet.

As mentioned by our Support team, your device may give you credit for extra floors for a variety of reasons. Devices may track floors while doing everyday tasks such as opening doors, driving, or riding elevators or escalators, or from abrupt weather and atmospheric pressure changes Exposure to excess moisture can also result in extra floors. We recommend that you wear your device loosely during exercise.

You can remove floors by logging driving but this will also delete the other data that was tracked during that period of time. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate your response, but I still don't understand why it would perfectly well for three months and then suddenly, with exactly the same usage and environment, the number of floors reported would increase so dramatically and stay that way going forward. It seems like seems like something changed internally.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @jonathanjeter. Sorry for the delayed reply. 

There was a firmware update this week, I would like you to double check if you already have this update available. If you do then follow this procedure to update your Fitbit Ionic. 

Additionally, you may want to clean your Ionic, this will remove any dust that might be accumulated. Keep in mind that you shouldn't insert anything on your Ionic's altimeter which a small hole in your watch.

Let me know how it goes. I'll be around if you need further assistance.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have cleaned the ionic. I have updated the firmware and it doesn't change anything.

Is there any way to just turn off the floor tracking?

It's messing up my calorie and activity counts. It's basically useless at this point. I was considering buying one for my son but now I think I may just need switch to something else.

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 11.07.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-22 at 11.06.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-22 at 11.06.03 AM.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jonathanjeter Thanks for getting back. I appreciate the screenshots you've attached. 

In this case, I've shared your post with our Support team and they will continue assisting you. 

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer

Having the exact same issue. Worked well for about 6 months and now multiplying flights of stairs every day. Did you ever resolve the issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Jlvb.

If you've followed the instructions shared above without luck, the best way to get help for this problem is to chat with us online or give us a call. Please click here to get connected.

Have a nice day.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes