Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inflated step counts -- think it's Strava but am not sure

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Starting a new thread b/c my issue doesn't seem to be the same.

Twice last week, I had 4000+ steps mysteriously added to my total on my dashboard--the next day.  So twice last week I was somewhere in the high 13,000's/low 14,000's when I took off my watch at night.  The next day upon syncing, on two days it registered about 19,000 steps instead of the 14,000 ish.

I'm positive I didn't have that many steps upon taking it off and the watch sat undisturbed on my nightstand.  Since the high total registered this the following day, I couldn't verify on my watch itself.  

I've experienced this little "huh? really?  that many" a few times, but first chalked it up to my not paying attention.  This week it happened twice so I went into the daily view on the phone app and there are TWO periods of intense or moderate activity--when there should only be one period.  I'm wondering if somehow Ionic and Strava mess up during syncing in some way.  I also know for sure that there should be only one period of intense activity because I live in Houston.... if I were running or fast-walking twice a day in 90+ degrees, I'd remember.  

Has this happened to anyone else?  

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

Happened again yesterday.  At midnight, the count was close to 13,000.

This morning--it shows 17,634 steps were taken.  Two periods of intense activity.  I went running at 7:30.

It also shows a period of intense activity--and a little more than 4ooo steps taken around 3 pm.  I did NOT go running at 3:00.  In fact, that might have been around the time I was posting my question.

This is crappy, I don't want inflated step counts.  I want to see MY count.  This feels like cheating.  

Is there a direct # for support?

Best Answer
0 Votes

First thing you should do is a restart:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/

and see if it helps.

Click the "GET SUPPORT" button on this page for support options:

http://help.fitbit.com/

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

I'm updating it now--a frustrating process in itself.  Had to restart the ionic in the process.  Am going running today, so we'll see if it adds extra steps tomorrow.  N=3, but so far, all days I've noted this are days that a run is syncing with Strava.

(even though this is frustrating, I still have to say that this board and fitbit support are very helpful.  I was on chat earlier.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue occurring with my Ionic though I'm not on Strava so this is within the Fitbit ecosystem.

Random spike of intense activity today. No idea why. I did the recent software update. Might be related?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is your spike PRE or POST update?  If it's POST, then might still be an issue.  Mine have been spiking PRE update.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

It was post update. Really odd timing. I was walking from one building to another and when I looked at the Ionic a few minutes after I arrived it had added 10 minutes of Exercise and over a 1k steps. Now I'm checking it constantly for accuracy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too!!! Again, an extra 5000 steps! Come on Fitbit. I was at 14,400
(or so) an hour ago, got a notice that my Strava run was ready to view, and
now my Fitbit registers 19,615.

About 20,000 steps that I have not taken have registered in fewer than 2 weeks. I updated the software  this afternoon, so outdated program isn't the issue. 

My daily count now shows a period of intense activity around 1:30 pm--of about 5K steps.  This activity was not there an hour ago.

Come on Fitbit. What gives? I dont want to use a product that is so wildly
overestimating my steps.

Note:  this has happened both PRE and POST firmware update.  I've thought something strange is up from time to time for awhile.  I became positive that oversteps were taken last week.  I updated today--restarted the ionic, the app, and the phone in the process and tonight the same thing happened.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Happened again.  Now we're at three days in a row (in addition to last wk).  5000 steps were added in overnight.  Last time I looked at my ionic it was about 12,600.  I checked my phone app when I went to bed (1 am), and it still registered this step count.  Checked this morning on the app and it says my count was 17,779.  Again, it registered a period of intense activity (not taken) in the mid-day.  I've been waiting for contact from Fitbit support but it has come yet.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you opened a support call with Fitbit yet? If not that’s probably the next step. Keep us posted on your progress. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, I have. I was supposed to get an email contact but didn't. I called
in the next day myself to support. They recommended a restart, which I had
done. Then a factory reset, which I don't really want to do. I'm not all
that tech savvy, so the thought of figuring out again how to load music and
apps again doesn't thrill me. So I think I'm just going to take a break.
Sounds defeatist, but I'm tired of messing with it.

I wore it yesterday just when running__to listen to music and connect to
strava. Today, again, added in an extra period of activity and doubled the
steps, so it looks like the issue is strava.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Strava is still double counting.  I now wear my ionic only when I run (to avoid having to carry the smartphone) — to connect to strava and listen to music.  Every time I get a Fitbit notice that my strava run is ready to view, my dashboard records another period of intense activity and a similar number of steps as the run — essentially double counting.  I’ve checked my strava settings.  I uninstalled and reinstalled strava.  Ive restarted the ionic.  Ive logged in and out of the Fitbit app on my android,  nothing stops the double counting of steps.

anyone else have problems with strava and/or lots of extra steps added in?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My steps are doubling when I use the run feature. It’s been every time. Today I did a 4 Miles and quickly looked at my steps and it showed a total of 8k. While “sitting” for 15 minutes my watched vibrated and was celebrating me doing 10k steps. I looked to see what it showed and it was at 15k steps. It’s only happening when using the run feature. 

Hope this gets fixed soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good to know someone else is experiencing this.  Phone support said they were unaware of this issue.  Help.........

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good to know someone else is having this issue. Phone support said they were unaware of this issue.  I’ve been on vacation, so I haven’t used it for a run. But before leaving this happened on every single run for 3-4 weeks.  Help please Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,  This happens to me all the time. I've finally given up and not syncing the apps anymore. Too frustrating. I take my phone with me on my walks and runs and use Strava and Fitbit simultaneously. On another note, which do you find more accurate for distance? Strava or Fitbit? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes