Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware release - 27.31.1.29

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all!

I am super excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 1.2! (Firmware Version: 27.31.1.29)

We've begun to roll out this new firmware to 10% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Feature update:

What’s fixed:

• We fixed an issue where some customers’ clocks didn’t update after switching time zones.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers experienced syncing issues after interrupting clock face installation.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers noticed the Exercise app crashed after double tapping an exercise.
  • This release also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.

Click here to view our Fitbit OS help article!

Instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

I would also recommend updating your Ionic over Wi-Fi as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
447 REPLIES 447

Got it! I can confirm I was last #sad

Best Answer

I just applied the new update to my Ionic and had the same problem.  Would not notify me that their was an incoming call.  Went to the app on my phone opened the Ionic device and clicked the "Notifications" line.  My phone and the Ionic had to be repaired.  Give it a try - worked for me!

My problem being receiving notifications from my phone

One (retired), Charge 2 HR (retired), Ionic, Aria, iPhone 8+

Best Answer
0 Votes

Saw that the update is available, but no go for me because I can't connect to Wi-Fi. Swell. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any way to roll back firmware if update breaks stuffs? I am hesitant to update and have the supposedly better version break the very already very few stuffs that are working!

Utterly disappointed!
Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, I finally got Wi-Fi connected. Force stopped the app, cleared data and cache, opened app and logged back in and finally was able to connect to Wi-Fi. Update went fine after that. Did not take very long.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has the GPS tracking been improved? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Wizegeezerwrote:

Received the update notification in the app today.  Update took about five minutes.   The music transfer is working fine post-update so I'm not anticipating any major issues.  Will do a test run tomorrow to see how the new GPS measurement calculation works.  When I export runs into Strava or MMR, the distances frequently didn't match what Fitbit was saying so it will be interesting to see what's changed.

Do let me know the outcome of the run! GPS has been unstable since I have been using the ionic. Hopefully this update addresses this issue 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, Got the update this morning and I was a wee bit apprehensive about downloading it after reading through the previous comments. I checked the advice on making sure that I was connected to my home wifi ok, plugged phone and Ionic into their respective chargers. Made sure that both were in a good wifi area and pressed the update tab. I made a cup of coffee, checked to see how Scotland were getting on at the Olympic curling and went back to see that it had started ok......it had finished! No hassle, no fuss just worked! let's hope the curling goes just as well! Alan

Best Answer

@MattFitbit This doesn't work. When I turn down the volume one of the earphones shuts down but the volume stays the same in the other one.

With my Iphone they are working fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So far after the update all I have is useless ionic as all it does is displaying X and telling me: k.pay defected problem with internet connection on your phone. No matter if I recconect to Wi-fi again and again this message pops up after around 10-15 seconds and stays. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried it and it worked! Finally synced, but on my run that I recorded
last night the GPS did not work properly, it had the distance but it didn't
record my pace 😞
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Marek.Pwrote:

So far after the update all I have is useless ionic as all it does is displaying X and telling me: k.pay defected problem with internet connection on your phone. No matter if I recconect to Wi-fi again and again this message pops up after around 10-15 seconds and stays. 

Try changing your watchface to a Fitbit stock one. The K-pay error is usually to do with a 3rd party watchface that requires payment to continue using. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, 

ill try try that but the clock face I have now is 3rd party but did not required payment to keep it. I’ll try and see what happens. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You were right, the clock face I had was initially free and I had it for few weeks but now it says you need to pay after 24h so I guess after update it picked up the clock face and asked for payment. It works now 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My update installed smoothly, no problems. Does anyone you have any further information on the following taken from the original post from the moderator?

• This release also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.

It would be nice to know what bugs have been fixed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds similar to my day except I thought a factory reset might work (after trying for nearly two full days to sync -re sync ,troubleshoot - re troubleshoot ) . Geez was I wrong don't do that now it won't connect so I've got a $400 wrist band that don't even tell time.

I had exactly same problem still not properly solved . I spent all day today trying all the troubleshooting and retrying and eventually got it to connect and revert back to a clock but I believe there's no trick I just kept trying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suppose you have swept right on the the clock face to get to the settings
on your tracker? There you tap Notificarions so it says Receive from phone.
The other option is Off. Make sure it is not set to Off.

Moderator edit: removed personal information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@njakobswrote:

@USAF-Larrywrote:

@MattFitbitwrote:

I also see that some users may have been having trouble syncing after performing the update. 

If you find yourself having a hard time syncing after updating to OS 1.2, I recommend performing each of the steps detailed in this article. If you get stuck at any point, feel free to let me know where. 

@MattFitbit, since the firmware update I have discovered that if I turn on WiFi on the phone before opening the Android app, it will sync almost instantly, but if I have WiFi disabled (as I almost always do), it takes multiple times and 5 to 7 minutes to sync the Ionic. Prior to the firmware update, I was not experiencing any syncing issues.

LOL hadn't synced and wouldn't. Then turn on wifi and syncs instantly. WTF does wifi have to do with sync?? Was an alpha product at best when I brought it and is clearly well and truly in beta.

That's a simple answer....when you sync, you have to have an internet connection so the data can get to the Fitbit servers.  If you're trying to sync over a slow cell phone data connection, it can take a while.  If you have no data connection, it won't sync at all.

Best Answer

This is not good news . I feel for you I'm just as frustrated at the moment . Surely there's a law against this to protect us .,   So annoyed and the people saying it worked fine for them as if WE are doing something wrong is not helping 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MattFitbit 
Hi!  Thanks for all the assistance.  I finally did get it to update, but I think i did absolutely everything recommended in all the troubleshooting.  And then I think the Ionic just gave up and updated 🙂  It finally worked over bluetooth and it took forever.  I'm going to say pretty close to 1hr.  I'm never home to connect to wifi and work wifi is pretty picky about downloads and site connections.  I did do a soft reset (?) on my Ionic and then still had to tell it to update the firmware about 5 times before it finally took.  
All this with the caveat that *technically* my phone isn't listed as compatible with the Ionic at this point in time.  MotoZ Force.  But it did update (finally).  I have no other connectivity issues.  No sync problems and I think I figured out the notification problems.
So thanks everyone for all your help and troubleshooting tips 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes