Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Heart Rate Accuracy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone else noticed that the Heart Rate sensor is very inaccurate?  Currently my Ionic is showing that my heart rate is in excess of 120, while at the same time my pulse ox machine (a medical device) is saying it's 82.  The Samsung health app is inline with what the pulse ox is saying.  I'm not sure if I have a defective Ionic or if others are having the same issue. ( Note: Sorry if there are any spelling errors, I am tryping around my cat, who has decided to sit directly in front of the screen)

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
424 REPLIES 424

Thanks YFG, it is a shame though.
I was very pleased with my Surge and Charge 2.

Kind regards,

Moderator edit: Removed personal information 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I sincerely disagree. The Ionic is worth its weight in gold though it's not
perfect. It helped me get into the best shape of my life since age 25. I am
a big spin junky and moving into more yoga. I also hit the weights in the
gym 2x a week on average.
Best Answer

Good for you!

Seems you are not running long distances, when I'm experiencing my trouble
with Ionic. So our experiences cannot be compared.

Kind regards,

Moderator edit: Removed personal information 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a biker.

The Fitbit support team is aware of the  in accurate HR 

Here there comments  "

Hi Marius,

Thanks for providing us with details regarding the test you performed between the Fitbit Ionic and your friend's Polar H7. We'll be glad to continue assisting you regarding the heart rate accuracy of your watch while biking.

Currently, we do not have a time frame for this issue to get solved, however, out engineer department is constantly working towards the improvement of your devices. "

So they agree but do we get a solution ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I took this issue up the ladder (above the help desk) and basically received the same response.  In so many words, Fitbit is aware of the issue and working on it but does not have a timeframe for resolution.

Best Answer

Ha

Paul werkt de charge 2 wel goed?

mvg

Marius

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would like to know if any of the GPS Fitbits work well for HR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Ionic is utterly useless at reading HR... in fact the only feature it properly does is the step counter. So I have a 250 buck step counter... oh well, it looks good in my wrist.

To be more concrete with my HR issues... my Ionic doesn't read well during intense exercise. Resting readings seem to be accurate, for example 50bpm while sleeping, 70-80 while seating in my computer, 100bpm while walking in the street, great. But once I hit the gym, things start to mess up.It says 110bpm when I am at 150-160... stuff like that. Maybe I dont fit it tightly enough so it moves with intense movements? But I heard its better not to tight it too much....

Is there any chest band I can use with my Ionic? (and sync with it, I mean).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ioniccrash it really seems to depend on type of activity. As I noted before sometimes Ionic can be incredibly accurate and go side by side with chest strap and there are time ( for me most often ) when the readings are just rubbish. In case of running keeping steady pace can give very accurate result but for HIIT training it's just not working. Moreover, very often then I see no any readings. Today, I went for climbing with chest strap and Ionic. Ionic shows readings as if from completely different event. Also, no matter how tight you wear it, it won't be enough. Moreover, trying to get better readings I got to the point that wearing the watch was simply uncomfortable. Yet still, tightening didn't prevent it from moving. Once, during pushups somehow I managed to pause exercise by pressing the button because it went that low. Wearing it too tight results with "biting" the skin which isn't pleasant either.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am afraid that's the case with all fitness watches, some good at some things and not others. There is no fitness watch that's good at everything

Best Answer
0 Votes

No fitness watch works well with Intense exercise as the optic sensor just cannot do it well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If that is a fact

For sleep floor and steps it works well.

Why cannot we pare the ionic with an external chest strap?

If this is possible we can use the ionic during exercises?

We then also can trust the calories.

So we will have more  confidence in the total performance Heart

your opinion??

Best Answer
0 Votes

While my opinion isn't worth much I do have one 🙂  If your chest strap has blue tooth capability then it should work.  My chest straps (I have at least three) do not have blue tooth capability.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fitbit support team told me by mail that it is not possible,

How has experience with paring an external  Bluetooth chest strap?

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can't use an external HR monitor with Fitbit devices and the Fitbit app. Pity, as this could solve lots of problems. When I expect accuracy I could just use readings from the chest strap while all-day HR would be using HR monitor in the watch. I track exercises using Fitbit just to have them logged but I rely on Polar Beat when it comes to making any use of collected data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's an example of readings from the very same session. You can easily see a pattern of spikes in the Polar reading. Beginning includes a warmup, then three regular spikes and the... my phone rang and I had to go back to the office 😉 It was intense HIIT circuit training. Fitbit readings are a mess.FitbitPolar
It really depends what my session is and how much of arms and wrists are involved. Still, it's alright I think for day-to-day use but pity that Fitbit doesn't support external HR monitors so such errors can be corrected by overriding the readings.

Best Answer
0 Votes

8km Afternoon walk in our  beautiful Amsterdam The Netherlands.

Polar H7   time 02:03:53 8.24 km  Avg HR 83 Max HR 105   374 cal

Ionic         time 0.2.05.05 8.45km  Avg HR 101 Max HR121   931 cal?

Your op[nion?

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Here's an example of readings from the very same session. You can easily see a pattern of spikes in the Polar reading. Beginning includes a warmup, then three regular spikes and the... my phone rang and I had to go back to the office 😉 It was intense HIIT circuit training. Fitbit readings are a mess.FitbitPolar
It really depends what my session is and how much of arms and wrists are involved. Still, it's alright I think for day-to-day use but pity that Fitbit doesn't support external HR monitors so such errors can be corrected by overriding the readings.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MariusH Burnt calories is a bit different story as it cannot be really measured accurately no matter what. The heart rate is measurable by hardware. There are physical beats which can be detected using many methods( ECG, optical ). However, how much energy we spend is just an estimate. Polar and Fitbit use ( probably ) different formulas so there may be a difference in what you see in the end. Also, updating weight, height, resting HR ( Fitbit updates it all the time, chest strap doesn't as it is not something you expect to be wearing at rest ) may be taken into account but lack of proper updates may affect the final numbers. In my case, Polar H10 and Ionic, when there are no big differences in readings, they go almost head to head ( during one of my treadmill sessions they even ended up with the very same number of calories! ). In your readings, it looks like H7 underestimated your efforts. Due to the technology it uses, I still think it took better readings of HR than Ionic but calories... well it looks way too few for 2 hours walk ( unless most of 2 hours you did spend in one of Amsterdam pubs 😉 ).

Here is another example. Yesterday, I did a short 15 minutes spinning session. Moderate speed. Mostly, I wanted to stay in the fat burn zone, but three times I elevated my HR to 150bpm. Despite the first few seconds, Ionic caught up and as you can see the accuracy is acceptable:

red - Ionic, blue - Polar H10

Ionic - 94kcal

Polar H10 - 100kcal

6kcal difference? Any of them may be a bit off so this is totally acceptable. It also explains probably, why @erikkai can see results so accurate during spinning. Simply, because it seems to work quite well for this particular use case.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I think I'm getting somewhere with understanding how Ionic deals with particular activities then I encounter results like from today, which tells me one thing - just bin it. I use extracted HR data from both, Polar H10 and Fitbit Ionic, with custom software I create data sets that can be analyzed by anything that reads CSV files. Here it goes. First, I ran on the treadmill 5k distance and ( without terminating exercise ) I added (1m plank, 30sec pushups, 30sec rest)x3. On the 5k distance, the initial pace was 5:00 then increased to 4:30 and I tried to keep my heart rate between 150-160ish:

red - Polar (310kcal), blue - Fitbit (239kcal)

Despite keeping my pace steady this time Ionic went totally bananas. I made sure I was wearing it correct all the time. Polar graph matches exactly all the efforts I put into this part of the workout and 3x(plank, pushups) are well visible at the end. Ionic readings are... well very creative and artistic, less real. When I thought it couldn't get any worse I moved to the weight machines:

red - Polar H10 (164kcal), blue - Ionic (67kcal)On the Polar graph you can see every single set. It's all logical. Exercise increases HR which then declines during rest. Counting spikes you can say there were 5 exercises, each had 3 sets. What can you tell looking at the Ionic graph? First, what the hell? There are plenty of holes. I've been reporting many times that I see "two-dashes" quite often. This proves I'm not delusional. It looks like one of those "connect the dots" puzzles from children's books. Leave that alone, the data is completely missed. It could be generated with random numbers generator and would be same close to the truth. On top of that, there is 100kcal difference which is quite huge.

I realize optical HR sensors are not perfect and sometimes do things better, some other times worse but what I see here is just plain wrong. I know there are defenders here and Fitbit is deaf on the problem ( which I think is rather a hardware problem ). I know that it could be just my Ionic ( maybe it's broken? ) but so far I haven't seen single proof of accuracy and what I show here is evidence based on raw data obtained on two devices and perfectly synchronized by time stamps with 1-second accuracy.

Best Answer

Hey everyone! I truly appreciate the details that you've mentioned regarding the inconveniences you're having with heart rate information. 

I've noticed you already checked the tips that need to be followed in order to get an accurate heart rate. However, when you're using a Fitbit watch and any other you might get different information because the data is tracked using different algorithms. 

You may want to check the main thread about users experiencing this. Any update will be posted there by one of our moderators. 

Your patience and understanding while this is being resolved is appreciated. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes