Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Heart Rate accuracy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

i would like to know if the new Ionic will have the same or a better Hear Rate monitor than the fitbit Blaze. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
63 REPLIES 63

@SimonRJ wrote:

Sorry, but to suggest that moisture will improve the accuracy is just wrong.  A quick review of several articles regarding optically based sensors, including one from the MIT weekly technical journal, suggests that sweat actually inhibits the accuracy of these sensors.   None of them equate the presence of sweat or water to improved accuracy.   The first few minutes of inaccuracies subside due to body temperature increases, not sweat or moisture. 

What the articles do say that seem concurrent to observations made here is that the accuracy improves as temperature increases, especially during exercise, due to blood vessels moving closer to the skin surface to aid in body cooling - hence the sensor being able to get a better reading.  

This seems to make the most sense, based on what I've experienced. At first the HR reading was wildly high for everything except resting. I then tightened the band, and this seemed to take care of the inaccuracies while walking or cycling. However, the HR reading still immediately spikes to around 180 when I start running. Wetting my wrist makes no difference. However, about 4-5 miles into a run the HR reading will suddenly drop to what I would expect it to be, and remain that way for the remainder of the run.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They have lost the opportunity to make things better... Heart Rate accuracy in Blaze is poor... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

3 months ago I upgraded from The blaze to the ionic.. the heart rate accuracy on the ionic is brutal; a normal walk  might have easily 40 BPM higher reading then it should be... with the Blaze, reading it spot on..I returned it and exchanged it for new one to see if it was a lemon but this has exact same problem... So disappointed..

Best Answer
0 Votes
Actually the blaze accuracy when compared to a polar heart rate monitor using a cheat strap is 40 to 60 bpm off. I have upgraded to the ionic and have found that it's actually closer to true in strength training, only about 10-20bpm off. So they have improved it even if Fitbit is afraid to officially say it.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes