Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Setup Checklist

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Everyone -- I really appreciate your candid feedback on your setup experience. 

After reviewing this discussion, I want to provide tips to help you setup your shiny, new Ionic successfully. Please understand that during this process there are certain steps that can take longer, especially the Firmware update, so patience is key. This is the largest firmware we've ever released and contains more data than any of our past Firmware update releases.

During setup, I recommend connecting to a strong personal or work Wi-Fi network that requires a password (public networks like coffee shops or bookstores should be avoided). If you're not connected to strong Wi-Fi connection or using Bluetooth, the process can take as long as 2 hours or more. So please make sure your Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

With that being said, let's get you setup!

Setup checklist

1. Start by making sure your device meets the requirements
  2. Un-pair all Fitbit trackers in Bluetooth settings (if any are listed under devices in BT settings)   
  3. Remove all Fitbit trackers from your Fitbit account (If any other Fitbit trackers are setup to your account already)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off/on
  5. Perform a factory reset on Ionic (tap on Settings/ tap on About/ tap on Factory Reset)
  6. Restart your device (phone or computer)
  7. Plug-in Ionic to charge somewhere close to your internet router
  8. Go through the setup process (instructions start on page 9 of the manual) 

What if setup still doesn't work? 

Try giving it another shot. Follow the instructions above and if you get stuck, please tell me where in the process Ionic stalled.

I want to acknowledge everyone's contribution to this discussion and express appreciation for bearing with us through some of the hiccups. We're always striving to improve our product and observe user sentiment and feedback to make improvements where necessary. Rest assured that future firmware and app updates will be released incrementally to address issues experienced by users.   

Lastly, I welcome you to continue sharing your experiences here and provide as much insight as you can. My hope for all of you is a successful setup so you can start reaching your health and fitness goals with help from Ionic!  

Best Answer
345 REPLIES 345
Your not alone my friend,but what is worse that all of this is Fitbit will
not admit they have a problem!
If you bought it at a retailer take is back if you can and re-purchase it
later once they ( hopefully) fix all the issues. It will also be cheaper or
on sale.
If you bought it from Fitibit they will refund but not exchange it because
they claim there is nothing defective with the watch itself just the
software....BUT BEWARE if you wait to long you own this piece of junk.

--
Thank You
Michael C. Pulte
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, very frustrating.  My Ionic says 100% downloaded.  I finally got the clock face to download.  but then trying to put music on it which is one of the reasons I bought it giving me the music while I walked or worked out without a mp3 player.  But it says connect to Wi fi even for my personal music and I see no options giving me to wi fi connection.  Guess will keep trucking along.  I am stubborn and will prevail.
susie
Best Answer

I have been trying for over 2 hours to get my phone and fitbit ionic to pair! I have tried over 5 times, and it reads "Bluetooth Pairing Failed" Call Notifications and All-Day Sync are disabled for now.  My wifi signal is strong and its my own personal wifi.

Best Answer

Did things improve? I am trying and trying to get the darn thing to work!!! And it's not working!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer
No it didn’t improve. I returned it and got an Apple Watch instead... and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
That’s what mine kept doing. I decided I didn’t need the irritation and returned the Ionic for an Apple Watch. I’m very glad that I did. Good luck with yours!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
With over 500 posts just on this website alone how bad this wtch is you
would think that they would do what Google did and honestly try to fix the
software and give everyone a free pair of head phones instead of just
RESET, RESET, RESET

Michael C. Pulte
Best Answer

I have learned from my experience that “Fitbit Customer Service” is an oxymoron.

They have to be one of the least customer centric companies I have ever dealt with and this has been the worst product rollout I’ve ever seen.

After my Ionic experience I doubt I’ll buy another Fitbit product.

Seriously disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer

I have had this thing for a month and it still doesn't work. Wont pair, never syncs, etc.. Ive done everything they have told me to do including resets, etc. There is no solution to the problem at this point and they are no proactive with software updates. I understand there are bugs and buying a new product at launch can be a gamble but this is beyond bad.

I repeat, there seems not to be a solution to the syncing problem at this point. They have told this to me and have said to continue to check the community boards for updates but there are no updates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had my Apple Watch Series 3 for 2 weeks now. I can honestly say I do not think I will ever go back to Fitbit after the Ionic experience. I was able to get the Apple Watch on sale (without cellular - no need for that) for about the same price as the Ionic. It is by far a superior product. The only con is the battery life. However, it charges incredibly fast so I put it on the charger when I take a shower and get dressed and it is completely charged by the time I am done. No problems. I am going to unsubscribe to this thread now. It is CRAZY how many posts are added every day. Good Luck everyone! 

Best Answer

Hi all, 

Newbie here and wanted to share my experience. 

I bought the Ionic, downloaded the app (Android), and got connected right away. I was told there was a firmware update and started that process. While it did says it could take up to 10 mins, it took me about 45 mins to download and update the latest firmware (27.25.16.7)

From then on, everything has been working great. My tracking has been correct, notifications work as expected, and I haven't had a single issue with sync'ing data back to my phone. 

The one thing I haven't tried is the Music application. I plan to do that in the next couple of days to test it out. 

Hope this helps someone out there. Cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dear FB gurus,

Here's a follow-up. After several days of trying everything I could think of, my Ionic able to reliably sync data on the desktop Win 10 computer. There is still one hang-up: After the watch has synced with the computer, and I have accessed My Account, I cannot manage the Clocks or Apps. I get no further than the message “Please make sure that Bluetooth is on.” Bluetooth seems to be on, as “Fitbit base station” is listed among my Bluetooth devices. I cannot force a sync at this stage, turn BT off, or see it listed in the Action Center. Strangely, when I first connected a couple of weeks ago, I was able to select a preferred clock face and delete several unwanted apps on the computer (such as Pay, Music, Starbucks), but these changes have never found their way to the Ionic watch.

Can you help?

PS  I appreciate the many Fitbit users who have replied with sympathetic comments.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine keeps not updating... if I go in the WiFI setting on my phone, it keep spinning forever. I see that the steps are counted in the app but last time it synced according to the app, it was last Monday (5 days ago).
I am trying to change the clock face and it does not work.

Best Answer

Interesting... I just disconnected my old Charge on the app (I had both the Charge and the Ionic in the Fitbit app). And now the ionic synced.

And it seems everything is working!

Best Answer
Give it a few minutes. It won’t stayed a synced..

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
I sent mine back today.  The band even started poping off on one side.  Nearly lost it yesterday.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, i am another Misfit Fitbit user. 🙂
Yes, it has bugs, but just be patient with the first firmware update as
mime took nearly 24 hrs before it finally said "firmware update
successful"!!!!!

Now, what is your issue?.
Is it stuck in the standby mode????
Best Answer
0 Votes

oh, and regarding the band popping off on one side....yes, it's a bit tricky!

I had some issues with it just fiddling about with it. 

When it 'locks' in you will hear a definite "CLICK"

lol, i dunno why i removed it in the first place, but was thinking of getting a leather band , so i thought I'd remove it to see how "easy" it would be!

Just be patient with it, like i did....(sheesh!), but eventually it will 'click' in. 🙂

Personally, i reckon it's an okay fitness tracker......

There are products that are in price of 2.5K$, then, there are Chinese "knockoffs" from $20 to $120.

The Ionic is very new and probably released wayyyyy too soon.

In my previous msg, i rambled on about the firmware update, and after going thru the necessary processes, i got it done and it is working fine now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apple Watch is a "Klunker"...... i stick with the 'Misfit Ionic Fitbit' and see what happen. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry to learn of your troubles and terminal frustration with the Ionic.
I'm still hoping...
Best Answer
0 Votes