Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic falsely registering steps and floors while driving

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got a fitbit ionic a couple weeks ago, and I having trouble with the steps and floors counter.

It registered more than 8000 steps and a hundred floors while driving with the watch on my arm.

I tried without the watch on my arm, it still registered more than 3000 steps, but no false floors.

This is very frustrating, I put it as dominant on my non dominant hand, but I'm still having problems with accuracy.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Mclane75! Thanks for taking the time to check your settings to make sure that your Ionic is tracking your steps properly. Nice way to go!

Remember that the wrist trackers count steps depending on the movement of your arms, when you are driving or for example when your tracker is close to a fan, your tracker counts steps due to the vibrations. You can learn more about how your Fitbit tracks steps by checking the article: How accurate are Fitbit devices? This article will also give you information about how your tracker detects floors.

In order to avoid your Ionic to record so many extra steps/floors while driving, I can suggest you a few things: 

1. Manually log Driving activity for certain time period to negate all steps in that time, still leaving heart rate data and calories.

2. Attach anywhere else on torso or in pocket to avoid it tracks steps while driving. You'll always see calories burned. 

3. Try with DriveBit app which is super easy to use and you can set it to custom activity name. Just hit start when sitting, and then stop when your up and moving. It does everything else for you and subtracts the accumulated steps from your count after it's logged.

Also, another thing I do while I drive with my Ionic is to plug it into the USB charger while I'm in the car. It pauses counting while charging and I never get a flat battery. I don't bother for short drives. But don't forget to put it back on after your car ride! Woman Very Happy

Most of the users are requesting for an option/way to avoid erroneous steps during activities that don't include steps. To what I recommend up-voting and commenting on Add "Driving Mode" feature to avoid erroneous steps/floors feature suggestion since it is very similar of what you're looking and asking for.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Mclane75! Thanks for taking the time to check your settings to make sure that your Ionic is tracking your steps properly. Nice way to go!

Remember that the wrist trackers count steps depending on the movement of your arms, when you are driving or for example when your tracker is close to a fan, your tracker counts steps due to the vibrations. You can learn more about how your Fitbit tracks steps by checking the article: How accurate are Fitbit devices? This article will also give you information about how your tracker detects floors.

In order to avoid your Ionic to record so many extra steps/floors while driving, I can suggest you a few things: 

1. Manually log Driving activity for certain time period to negate all steps in that time, still leaving heart rate data and calories.

2. Attach anywhere else on torso or in pocket to avoid it tracks steps while driving. You'll always see calories burned. 

3. Try with DriveBit app which is super easy to use and you can set it to custom activity name. Just hit start when sitting, and then stop when your up and moving. It does everything else for you and subtracts the accumulated steps from your count after it's logged.

Also, another thing I do while I drive with my Ionic is to plug it into the USB charger while I'm in the car. It pauses counting while charging and I never get a flat battery. I don't bother for short drives. But don't forget to put it back on after your car ride! Woman Very Happy

Most of the users are requesting for an option/way to avoid erroneous steps during activities that don't include steps. To what I recommend up-voting and commenting on Add "Driving Mode" feature to avoid erroneous steps/floors feature suggestion since it is very similar of what you're looking and asking for.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes