Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic heart rate stopped working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just bought a new Ionic last week, while on a trip to the US.

Initially it was not showing the heart rate but after resetting the device (as recommended) it worked fine (I did not check the accuracy of the readings though).

In any case, I wore it while sleeping last night and when I woke up it was showing the heart rate just fine. 

After I took it off to recharge and put it back after some minutes, the heart rate reading stopped working and I have already tried all that is said to work (reset, shut it down, sync, etc) and the heart rate still does not show. 

I chatted with the users support but the support person, while attentive and willing to help, could not solve the issue. 

Has anyone had this issue before and, if so, how was it solved?

I just hope I do not have to replace the device.

Thanks.

Best Answer
87 REPLIES 87

Thanks you for documenting your issues, Roberto. I am sorry that you cannot return your Fitbit Ionci for a refunt. I encountered a similar situation: after my Fitbit Ionci is recharged, the heart rate monitor (HRM) will not work. It will work again when I turn off and the turn on the HRM under Setting. When I read through the issues in this thread, I am surprised to see that such a crucial element as HRM malfunctions. I have used the Fitbit Blaze for over two years and am very satisfied with its performance. I have also introduced it to a lot of my friends. I was excited when the Fitbit Ionic came out last year (2017) with a better look and more functionalities. After reading this threats and the widespread issues on the HRM, and experiencing some of these same issues myself, I am disappointed with this new product. Since I brought my Fitbit Ionic through amazon.ca and the return time frame has not passed, I am not going to take a chance with this apparently defective product and will return it for a full refund. I do not think it is fair to any customer who spent over C$350 on a product and will have to live with the defects for a couple of years. The product is not cheap. As a consumer, I expect better quality control and testing before it is released to the market. What is more disappointing is that I have not seen Fitbit respond by making any updated to the software of the product or a recall of the batch of products that may be having problems with HRM. Well, good luck to Fitbit if that's how you launch a new product. In the meantime, I will wait for my refund and shop for another brand of fitness watches. And it will not be a Fitbit brand!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was having a similar issue today where my HR just stopped being tracked. I'm sure that I'm not dead, so it was an issue with the tracker. After no success with the restart, I contacted customer service, and now it works. Here's the process we followed. 

1. Turn the HR tracking off on the Ionic

2. Restart the tracker by holding the left and bottom right buttons for 10 seconds

3. Restart your phone (like completely off and then on again) 

4. Sync your tracker

5. Turn the HR tracking back on in the settings on the Ionic

6. Sync your tracker again

Hope that helps! 

Best Answer

I agree, it's not fair.  I decided to return mine today.  I was already having some of the issues mentioned here are I gave up on it (and perhaps on FitBit as a company as well) for these reasons:

1. HR monitor spotty performance

2. It's not work the amount of money they are charging.

3. Syncing issues.  Slow, won't work behind a VPN, etc.

4. Having to contact a forum for help for a brand-new product.

5. I've had to do two firmware update in a little over a month, each one took 30 minutes to complete (ridiculously slow).

So, if I (and others) and already have issues with a brand new product, I don't want to have to deal with this things for two of three years.  So, it's gone back.

I bought the Ionic based on my past experience with FitBit products.  I had a FitBit one and the Aria scale.  Both are still excellent.  I also purchased the Charge 2 which was nice.  The Ionic is a very big disappointment.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanx for the excellent steps unfortunately it did nothing for me

Steve

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit support is replacing my ionic ( which I purchased from Amazon on 10/16/2017) so here is hoping that the new one works.

Will let you know when I receive it

Best Answer

To fix this go to setting on the ionic

swipe to about 

swiipe down and click on **ahem** down

then click side button to start it up

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's good to know. I still have up to Feb 15 to return it back to amazon.ca. So I am trying to see if it the problems continue. Somehow, the heart monitor of my Fitbit Ionic has been working properly after the last two charges that I did. I am not sure if the problem just sporadically. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank You! This worked perfectly. Have a good one!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went to settings on my Iconic and turned on the HR. I don't know how it got turned off but after turning it back on it has been working fine. The help app misleads you and doesn't get the fix right. I would have never thought about looking at the device. Thanks very much for your help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't wear my Ionic at night so I shut it down when I take it off. When I
put it on in the morning I frequently need to take it off and wipe the
sensor. I just use my thumb and drag it across and then the HR starts to
work. I don't get it and maybe it's something Fitbit should investigate. It
doesn't make me enjoy the Ionic any less, it's just a bit annoying when you
realize you've been working out and HR isn't registering... And before
anyone says I should remember to wipe it off prior to putting on, believe
me, I wish I could.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lauren,

Well where to start? Once my HR stopped worked I was pretty upset. Been using charge 2 for a while and was very satisfied so once Ionic was out had to get it from across the world. Now I am stuck with this device. I don't have means to send it back to US. Anyhow I had to go through all the posts very carefully and kept my fingers crossed. Saw that Roberto have had a very bad experience. And I was getting dissappointed by every minute. Then I saw your post and kept a note. Did exactly what you mentioned. Guess what!!! Its working now... Don't know for how long but its working. I have a strong feeling the issue is with the firmwire. FITBIT badly needs to address this give a patch and save the customers from such ordeal. Happy for those who could got a refund or could atleast get a replacement. But for me I guess I am stuck with it. So Fitbit until you fix this your clients are not recommending any of your products.

Thanks again for the post !

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought an Iconic and the heart rate stopped after five days. After numerous enails they sent me a new one. Five days later I have the same issue with the new one. Sick and tired resetting the device now. The readings are also off the wall when they were working. There is obviously a serious flaw with this product. I now want my money back.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I am having the same problem I am going to call the support person tomorrow I hope they can fix the problem because I really like the device

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yesterday I returned my second Ionic for a refund... This one didn't have a
HR problem, but pretty much everything else was faulty; Battery life <2
days, music would cut out 28mins into my workout, notifications not showing
up and inaccurate GPS tracking.

Fitbit, if you reacted quicker to software bugs you probably could've
retained me as an Ionic customer. Your reaction time is dismal... I've gone
back to my Charge 2 now, with another brand running watch. Sometimes
simpler is better.
Best Answer
0 Votes

This just happened to mine tonight after 3 months of use.   It is a bit obvious but i didn't see anyone else mention it - -  cleaning the sensors seemed to fix it for me!

Best Answer

I've found that to work as well, but yesterday, after wiping the sensor it didn't work so I did a manual sync with the phone app and it was fine then.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks a lot. It just worked fine for me. I would recommend others to try this as well. And since then it has been working fine. Have not faced this issue again till date.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, mine stopped reading hr yesterday. 

Afterteading your post, i noticed there’s only red light coming from the back of the watch and that it’s not flickering as usual. 

So so I shut it down for 5-10 minutes, turned it on again and now the green light in the back is working again, the red is flickering as usual and HR reading is back. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ionic was doing the same as yours. This may not be the right way but- I plugged it in. Held all 3 buttons in at the same time until the Fitbit dots showed up on the screen and then held a few seconds more. I then released the all and gave the single button a push. The screen came on and it worked. Good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

FitBit Ionic doesn’t have an option for auto. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes