Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic losing GPS connection

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Ionic seems to stop tracking distance while biking.  I'm taking the same path and on different days showed 10 miles, 9 miles, and now 6.9 miles.  It just starts showing as "Searching" after a while and then doesn't keep recording. What's weird is the map on the dashboard shows the whole trip,

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

@absolutelyfab A warm welcome to the Community. Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

I appreciate that you mentioned that the GPS signal seems to be lost and that's why it's not tracking all your miles. 

All devices with GPS sensors require a direct path to GPS satellites to calculate location. A weak GPS signal might affect the accuracy of your route and other activity data. Your device uses your step count to calculate distance until it finds a signal, so the total distance calculated for a workout may be slightly less accurate when GPS isn't available for the entire time.

Please follow these tips when using GPS: 

• Charge your device to at least 80%, as built-in GPS can cause the battery to drain more quickly.
  • Start your exercise and connect to GPS in an area where you have a clear view of the sky.
  • If you are using GPS for the first time in an area, connecting may take longer than usual.

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Battery is full and the same route is giving different mileage every time and it's getting lower each time.  Also the map that's generated is actually correct so GPS is determining where I'm going, it's just not recording the mileage correctly. It's not even remotely close.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@absolutelyfab Thanks for getting back. I appreciate that you mentioned the GPS is showing correctly but the map isn't. To better assist you, please attach a screenshot of the data you're getting. 

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem. The GPS connects to a satellite and loses it during my run.  It constantly says it is searching and my pace display freezes.  I am not running near buildings or trees.  I've restarted it.  This has been going on since about the first of 2020.  What's the solution?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sylvia, This issue with the GPS losing its connection has been discussed on forums since early 2019.  The only suggestions have been to restart the Ionic.  I've done that as have others and it fixes nothing.  As I said elsewhere, I don't run near buildings or trees so it is not the environment.  Does FitBit have a solution or is this just a defect?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem. The Ionic mileage is rarely the same as my bike computer's. They disagree by more that a mile or more so it's not a calibration issue.The map seems to have the entire trip.

Today I rode over 15 miles but the Ionic stopped counting at 6.05. The map stopped as well. Did not see "searching" on the display, just 6.05. Maybe the watch was shaken too much when I rode over rough terrain.

I have not had a problem like this during walks.

I can understand it losing the GPS signal on an overcast day, But not on a clear one.

Either this needs to be fixed or we need to be able to edit the mileage in the Fitbit app after syncing.

Best Answer
0 Votes