Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not syncing, stuck on 4 digit code

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've read several other posts as my ionic was not synching to my phone, and had even caused the clock time to become off. I followed previous steps of disconnecting the ionic from my phones Bluetooth and removing the device to reinstall it. I continue to get stuck on the screen where it asks to enter a number which I receive on my ionic watch. After entering the number it just clocks and goes no where. I have also tried holding the left and bottom right buttons doing a restart, as well as going into the settings on the watch and doing a shut down and continue to get stuck after entering the number which was sent to my watch.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

Hey there @sara_devoto, it's nice to see you around. Welcome! Thanks for already troubleshooting this issue, nice way to go! 

While reading the steps you've attempted, I was wondering if you removed the tracker from your account only? If so, please go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and remove the tracker from there as well. 

Once you've made sure about that, go back to the Fitbit app, go to the "Account" option in the upper right corner and select "Set up a Device". This should start the setup process for your device. Smiley Very Happy

If you can't get started with your Fitbit device, usually a missing requirement is the cause. Carefully review the requirements below:

• Note that you can't set up your Fitbit device from your phone's Bluetooth screen; you must open the Fitbit app and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • The Fitbit app needs to be updated
  • The software on your phone is up to date. To see if an update is waiting to be installed:
    • iOS—Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
  • The Bluetooth setting on your phone or tablet is on. To find it:
    • iOS—Tap Settings > Bluetooth.

If you're still unable to set up, try these troubleshooting steps:

1. Turn off Bluetooth on your phone; wait 10 seconds, and then turn it back on.
  2. Try setting up your device again.
  3. Restart Fitbit Ionic once again. 
  4. Try setting up your device again.
  5. If you can't set up after a restart, reboot your phone or tablet (turn it off and then back on).
  6. Try setting up your device again.
  7. If you can't set up after the reboot, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Fitbit app.

Give this a shot and let me know how it goes! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried this and couldn’t get it to work. I then tried a factory reset and then it was able to pair and get past the 4 number verification screen. 

Best Answer

I tried all of this and stillit isn't working. Is there any way other than factory resetting mobile to solve this issue?  

Best Answer

I have the same issue that Sara described.  I even tried syncing with another device, no help. I have tried everything except the factory reset on the watch. Is that the only solution? It would delete all data on my watch, which wasn't uploaded, which would really be unfavorable.

Best Answer

I have the same problem. My fitbit app was not updating from my ionic anymore. I disconnected from bluetooth, restarted both devices. Then I turned bluetooth back on, added a new device on the fitbit app, and my iphone screen is now stuck on the code i typed in, saying connecting to fitbit and stuck there forever. And yes, all my iphone software is up to date. And yes, I had removed first the ionic from the fitbit app. It has always been difficult to get it to sync, but this is now a problem since I cannot reconnect the ionic to the fitbit at all. Could you help me, please?

Best Answer

I have the exact same problem with my Ionic. All description above are exactly what I am encountering at the moment. Even going as far as factory-reset my own phone, but no hope so far. I suspect that the software requires access to Fibit server to check for update at the beginning of connection but seems like it is blocked.  There is no better explanation why we all experience the same problem at the same time like this.

Best Answer

I finally got it to work by going back to a factory reset. I had tried everything else, following all the instructions on the 'device not syncing' topic. When I finally got it to work, I realized the syncing had stopped on the 7th April, which I had not noticed because I don't always check the fitbit app on my iphone. I was also disappointed with the fitbit support. I had to send a message through Twitter (it offered access through a live chat in the past) and it took until the next day for them to answer me. And it incensed me when they said in their message: "You can also try these syncing troubleshoots as well: help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US. If you have other questions, let us know." Seriously, Fitbit? Had you actually read the list of steps I took to resolve the issue, you would have noticed they were exactly the ones described in the article.

Best Answer

Thanks Everyone! I did factory reset my watch and it did sync with my phone. The problem I am encountering now is that when going into the app and trying to sync, it doesn't sync all the way. Partial data is collected (steps, stairs, etc.) no workouts, or 250 step hourly data is collected. The watch keeps trying to collect the data but doesn't go all the way (keeps resetting the sync). 

At least the bluetooth works again...

Best Answer

At least when factory-reset, your bluetooth works. Mine is dead. This is a part from second email sent to Fitbit support team. I listed out all steps I have done so they might not ask me to repeat:

(1) I tried to connect with Fitbit app for Window (another device).  No hope. It stopped right after 4-digit entering. Below have been all proceeded.
(2) Turned on/off my phone bluetooth
(3) Unpaired Ionic, try to pair new device again.
(4) Reset Ionic by left and low right  button.
(5) Reinstalled Fitbit app.
(6) Reset my phone.
(7) Even going as far as factory reset my phone
(8) Of course factory-reset Ionic. Yesterday (21st Apr 2018), somehow I can connect Bluetooth and update my firmware to the latest but the sync problem persisted (so it came back to the first stage). I try to factory-reset again and now cannot even bypass 4-digit code. It keeps failing. 

UPDATE (23rd Apr 2018):
I finally have my device factory-reset done. There are 2 possibilities:
(1) I turned off my phone's wifi and when I tried to connect via bluetooth, Ionic could pass the 4-digit code.
(2) Every time Fitbit support team emailed me, I could complete 4-digit code (The first time is on 21st Apr 2018).Either that they noticed my re-connection or they may have done something and then emailed me. So please try both out.
Now I am going for a run to test whether the Android app and my Ionic can properly sync.

UPDATE (27th Apr 2018):
I am way too frustrated because the same problem still persists. My Ionic 's last syn was on Tuesday 24th Apr 2018 at 3pm. So after two days of working smoothly since my post on 23rd Apr 2018, it went into another protest. I just completed a 8km night run and looked forward to sync the run to my Ionic, only to reckon the problem is still there. Such a vicious cycle. I am at step 1 all over again. 

Update (22nd July 2018):
My Inonic stopped syncing on 30th June and I did not noticed that at all, only reckoned the problem last week. Today I tried to factory reset and it just got stuck at greeting screen for hours. The very similar problem as in April 2018. Not sure why this keeps happening but I am getting unhappier every time. 
Best Answer

This is what i did to get it finally sync after a couple hours of trying different steps. 

(1) Unpaired all other trackers. and remove all trackers from the bluetooth paired list. 
(2) Turned off my phone bluetooth
(3) Force Stop Fitbit App.
(4) Restart phone and Reset Ionic by left and low right  button.
(5) Open Fitbit app and set up as new device. 
(6) Skip wifi Set up and connect via bluetooth 

Hopefully this helps you guys!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine for stuck after pairing key,but after 10s of tries I tried with my phone wifi disconnected ..It worked and I was able to setup . Crazy

Best Answer
0 Votes

So how is it that I click on an "accepted solution" for Broken After Ionic Factory Reset, I got stuck on 4 digit code? Seriously?!!!? After the factory rest my Ionic will only flash the fitbit logo. I have pushed, held, tapped, multi-tapped and pushed. I'm ready to just stomp this Ionic into dust and go back to my Apple Watch. Not happy, not happy at all. If you have a real answer I would love to hear it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My solutions that actually worked:

(1) Turn off your phone wifi.( it might be the root cause I do believe)

(2) Remove any setup within the app.

(3) Setup your fitbit with the app again.

Hopefully it will work. I encounter the same problem again this month but I figured it out somehow this way. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have tried this several times in the last 2 days. This is how I got to where I’m at. It’s not working. I literally have tried all the solutions and nothing is working. My Ionic is just a black screen with the fitbit logo flashing at me.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh I forgot to mention that you should turn off any other devices' bluetooth. (PC, speakers etc...) . Please try and give us more feedbacks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
yes
Best Answer
0 Votes

So it still does not work?

Best Answer
0 Votes

In this case try a manually factory reset one more time, to do so you need to press and hold down all 3 buttons for 12 seconds. Then, release the lower right button only but keep pressing the other two buttons for 8 seconds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Driving me mad. Every time they do a software update it stops syncing. Mine says “found ” then connecting to tracker then goes round and round for hours . Beginning to think this product is crap !!!

Best Answer