Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not working after update

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

A few days ago I updated my Fitbit ionic. I noticed the watch was loosing time and the app failed to sync, and the pairing failed.
Since then I've tried everything, restarted the ionic and phone umpteen times, factory reset the Fitbit, uninstalled and installed the app, deleted all blue tooth connections etc. and it still wont pair.

Only a couple of years old, and a few hundred £££££s down the drain.

Not fit for  imo, does anyone have a solution?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'm not sure if the battery issue has anything to do with update, but the sync and notifications issue seems to be. I had one before and it just stopped working, keeping time, everything. This one I have now is 6 months old and ever since the update I did it no longer wants to link up with my phone. Pretty frustrating.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

@Unstable Welcome to the Community. Thanks for the details mentioned and the troubleshooting tried. 

I would like you to confirm you tried this procedure to restart your Ionic. Could you confirm that you're still experiencing this issue? Is your display working? 

Keep me posted. I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have spent hours following instructions and guides. I eventually conducted a factory reset, this after several hours of uploading updates appeared to have fixed the issue. However, my Ionic continues to fail connecting to Bluetooth, it has only achieved connection to my phone during initial set-up and the first sync. I have restarted the Ionic and restated my phone many times today, but it just doesn't connect. One other annoying thing is the Ionic didn't connect to WiFi, that fails too.

There's nothing wrong with my android phone, it connects to my car, headphones, TV etc without issue.

Fitbit have made changes to the Ionic firmware and have f&_£#d up imo.

Best Answer

I have also had issues since I updated my software in mid-December. I was having some issues with my phone, so chalked it up to that, but got a brand new Samsung Galaxy 10 two days ago and my sync actually works fine, but my notificiations are not working properly and my Ionic is constantly losing Bluetooth connection. I occassionally get email and calendar notifications, but never text. I have restarted my Ionic with the procedure you listed below and it has not helped. Phone calls are spotty as well (but haven't actually gotten too many since I got my new phone).

I also got a different message yesterday in the Notifications section of the app that read "Notificiation service not running. A phone restart is required to re-enable notifications on your tracker." Restarted, didn't make a difference . . .

Best Answer

have tried the same, but nothing works.from what I can see, the bluetooth on the fitbit has stopped working.I can not see it any of the 4 different phones I have tried. lg6, lg4 ,redmi 3, redmi 4

Mine stopped working 2 days ago, but would randomly connect throughout the day, up until today, now nothing.

Best Answer

I am really frustrated with this ionic. I now get no call notifications since I updated the app. For such an expensive product there needs to be a way to fix this issue, especially since it us happening with so many users. Time is money for me. I get call notifications while I'm in meetings. This is such a horrific waste of time and I cannot express just how disappointed I am in Fitbit

Best Answer

Well thats it. Fitbit customer service is as poor as it gets and I'm off, life is stressfull enough, I dont need this.
I will take great pleasure in taking a hammer to this Ionic and feeding my bin.

Goodbye.

Best Answer

gettting mine replaced under warranty, as its exactly 2 years from date of purchase, mind you, Its was already replaced once in 2019 for the unable to recharge fault but the warranty is from the original purchase date.

I dont believe it was an update that caused this , as they told me its stuck in a setup bootloop

Best Answer

I've just bought a Garmin, is rather pay a little additional for quality and reliability.

Enjoy your replacement.

All the best

Best Answer

Good to know! I'll see if I can get it replaced. What a waste of money!Thanks!

Enjoy your day!

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

Kind of nice to know I'm not the only one with major issue with my Fit Bit Ionic - rubbish product.

I too had the watch replaced last year as it just stopped.  Seemed like a dead battery.

I've had many issues with it since owning it, won't charge (the design of the charging cable is quite suspect here - the connection is tenuous at best), fitbit pay won't work, never great in water cause that makes the screen go crazy (even though it's meant to be a swimming watch - the latest update supposedly turn the touch screen off when in swim mode - however I tend to get wet other time not just when swimming laps - even being sweaty causes it to go crazy!  Rubbish product!!

Latest issues are;

- It won't keep time, which I believe is the fundamental reason for having a watch!!

- send dozens of notification to tell me I'm on the phone, weh I'm on the phone - which is extremely useful!!  Not annoying at all!  and the clear all notifications button seems to have disapeared so it takes ages to clear all the nofictaions one by one....

- Won't sync with my phone - this is the proposed solution in most these threads (re-start and re-sync), but even that is extremely difficult and seems more luck than anything.  If you do manage to re-sync it's awesome thoug, cause it stays within a couple minutes of the actual time for the next hour or so!

OMG the most rubbish product I have ever owned!

Looking forward to the next proposed solution.

Best Answer

Thats actually what I'm thinking is just replace to stupid thing...thanks!!!!

Enjoy your day!

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

I see the common cause with everyone is we all updated our devices. That did something that mad ethis mess. I'm trying to see if theres a way around all this reset, resync, turn off, delete, reconnect ridiculous steps to get nothing.

Best Answer

I’ve been avoiding the update because every time I’ve updated a Fitbit product, I spend hours With support trying to fix it. This is also my second ionic I believe. Or maybe it was the blaze I got a replacement on because it was faulty. I can’t even keep track. RUBBISH is right 

Best Answer

Is anybody also having battery issues in addition to all the other issues? I have avoided doing the update from December for the exact reason that every update ends up with me Spending  time with support. I woke up earlier this week and got a warning for low battery: I assumed it was because I hadn’t done the update and it was draining my battery. So I sucked it up and did the update, battery and everything was fine for 2 days. It held a charge and all notifications were working. Then this morning my battery was totally dead. It charged from 0 to 95% in about an hour which I thought was odd. I had to sync because it was stuck on1:16 am, which is when I assume the battery died. The sync took care of the time but nothing else is working including the heart rate monitor. The battery is now at 10% and it’s been sitting off my wrist since 8 am

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure if the battery issue has anything to do with update, but the sync and notifications issue seems to be. I had one before and it just stopped working, keeping time, everything. This one I have now is 6 months old and ever since the update I did it no longer wants to link up with my phone. Pretty frustrating.

Best Answer

@Unstable i also bought a garmin

Best Answer
0 Votes

I picked mine up today, very very pleased with it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All, I had similar syncing issues after a recent Android update. Tried all the suggestions in the community blog (thanks) .. some temporary success then back to sync problems. After much fiddling / gnashing  I then discovered that the Android update had turned on NFC .. a service I never use.  I turned this off and syncing is back to normal. No problems at all now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So tired of having to reinstall my fitbit...so tired of having to fix the message sync.  I am afraid this will be the last generation of fitbit for me.  When I updated from Blaze I thought, "Well they have to have those bugs worked out by now."  Yeah...not even close.  Third and last fitbit for me.  I can't handle the frustration.  Oh and if a fitbit tech posts the same "fix" procedures I have tried 10,000 times...I will effen scream.

Best Answer
0 Votes