Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic overheating

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Today I burnt myself with my Fitbit Ionic. I charged it at the end of the morning with power from my laptop, went for lunch and a walk. Back at my desk the ionic got terribly hot and I thought I smelled some garlic flavor when I realised it was my watch on my wrist getting very hot.

My ionic did not want to turn on anymore. When I connected it to my charging cable, it shows charging, only as soon as I disconnect it shuts down.

What is wrong here?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

Welcome to the forums!

Please do not try and charge it any more. Contact support. Use the Help link at the top of the forum.

Hope to see you around!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Contact Support right away, @Lionson!  As an added measure, I am flagging your post for moderator attention.  Hopefully, someone will be in touch with you soon!

Also, please don't charge it anymore.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community @Lionson. Welcome! Robot LOL I´ll be glad to assist you with your Fitbit Ionic inquiry.

I got in touch with our support team and they told me that you´re already in touch with them. Follow their instructions and let me know how it goes.

Thank you for your help @WendyB and @DramaQueenDiva.

Keep on visiting the forums.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys

I was given a replacement ionic by fitbit as my last one stopped worked, I have had this new one for a couple of months and this one has over heated today whilst on my wrist causing a burn.

Its stopped working now

Best Answer
0 Votes

This happened to me last night. Fitbit Ionic purchased on 9 April 2018.  Woke in the night with burning feeling on my wrist. Fitbit so hot I thought it was going to ignite! Removed from wrist. Luckily, removed it before it significant burnt my skin.  Very scary.  They are supposed to track your sleep so you think it is safe to wear at night.  How do I pursue some resolution to this? 

Best Answer
Gday mate contact fitbit support and they will send you a refund of 450 dollars, I think they may be having a problem with the ionic.Cheers Sent from Samsung tablet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am still waiting in vain to receive my refund promised on April 26.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Jd747hogg@Taylorwohlt and @Lionson. It´s nice to see you here. I apologize for the delayed response and will be glad to assist you with your Fitbit Ionic inquiry.

@Jd747hogg, thank you for sharing what happened to you and for your advise. 

@Taylorwohlt, I also thank you for sharing your experience. I got in touch with our Support Team and they informed  me that they are already assisting you.

@Lionson, our support team told me that they are already helping you too. For more information regarding your refund status, please contact them through your support case.

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Love my new Ionic (June 2019) - exactly the same issue - picked up my (charging) device which was hotter than the sun! Now quite dead.  Before contacting Support I’m skimming posts to see if this is an isolated incident.  Disturbing symptom from any rechargeable device left unattended .....

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes mate happened to me twice, however mine overheated on my wrist causing a minor burn so be careful NeilSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My issue was resolved in a fashion. Great customer service. Iffered a replacement ionic but i no longer  trust the product.  So fitbit provided me with a full refund at replacement value. A shame as i really liked the ionic. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks bud - scary. I wonder what Fitbit are doing about this - there is clearly a problem with at least some of these devices.

Thanks for sharing. I think that’s where I am too / love the product but not sure if a replacement is the right thing.

Anyone from Fitbit care to comment? Is there a recognised issue with the Ionic (dangerously) overheating and what’s being done to address the issue please? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Strongfijord. I apologize for the delayed response and will be happy to assist you with your Ionic inquiry. 

I would recommend following the Wear and Care tips. Currently there's no a recognized issue with the Ionic overheating cases like yours have been taken by our support team. 

@Jd747hogg, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you and hope that you're better now.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us @Taylorwohlt.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

this is happening to mine and it just keeps flashing the Fitbit logo but because it's just over a year old they would only offer me 25% off. And I have the Fitbit Adidas addition. almost $400 down the drain.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I was given a full refund mate, go and buy a Samsung watch far better and more reliable.... I used to sing the praises of fitbit but not anymore. Mine burned my wrist so be carefulSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just burned myself touching my ionic after charging. What do I do? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BradleeSargent A warm welcome to the Community. 

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you. In this case, I've shared your post with our Support team and they've mentioned you have already a case created with them, they will continue assisting you please continue the communication through email. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I sent the fitbit back by dropping it in a mailbox now I was told that
fitbit is not responsible for whatever happens. so did I just throw my
fitbit away by using your return label and following instructions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I returned the fitbit using the label provided and used usps to ship it back.  I was just told that fitbit isn't responsible now for anything which is strange since I am following directions and now I wonder if I just threw away my fitbit by putting it into the mailbox???

Best Answer
0 Votes