Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic stopped working after swim

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My ionic stopped working after I swam with the Fitbit last week. I have tried resetting it, deleting the Fitbit from my phone and setting it up again and factory resetting it. The Fitbit only shows the 0% face even though it’s been charging for hours or the Fitbit logo. What else can I do to get it working again? 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Pippawhite. It's nice to see you around, @PaulMe.

@PaulMe Thank you for your input and helpful suggestions. 

@Pippawhite I am sorry to hear your Fitbit Ionic stopped working after swim. Thanks for trying to resolve this, I appreciate the additional details and I am here to help. I recommend following the complete troubleshooting instructions from this help article: Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging? Please also try the following:

1. On your phone, tap Settings > Bluetooth > the information icon next to the name of your Fitbit device > Forget This Device.
  2. Turn off other Bluetooth connections that are nearby.
  3. Verify if the Fitbit app is updated to the latest version. See this link.
  4. Force quit the Fitbit app.
  5. Reboot your phone.
  6. Open the Fitbit app, tap on your profile picture > Set Up a Device.
  7. Choose your Fitbit from the list and follow the onscreen instructions.

For complete troubleshooting instructions, see Why can't I set up my Fitbit device?

Let me know how it goes. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

I won't bore you with a warning about the risk of subjecting these devices to water. Do an search in the forum. There are many, many posts and discussions about that.

Have you attempted the 3 button reset/restart sequence (well documented in this forum and also on Google/Bing) whilst the device is connected to a charger?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Pippawhite. It's nice to see you around, @PaulMe.

@PaulMe Thank you for your input and helpful suggestions. 

@Pippawhite I am sorry to hear your Fitbit Ionic stopped working after swim. Thanks for trying to resolve this, I appreciate the additional details and I am here to help. I recommend following the complete troubleshooting instructions from this help article: Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging? Please also try the following:

1. On your phone, tap Settings > Bluetooth > the information icon next to the name of your Fitbit device > Forget This Device.
  2. Turn off other Bluetooth connections that are nearby.
  3. Verify if the Fitbit app is updated to the latest version. See this link.
  4. Force quit the Fitbit app.
  5. Reboot your phone.
  6. Open the Fitbit app, tap on your profile picture > Set Up a Device.
  7. Choose your Fitbit from the list and follow the onscreen instructions.

For complete troubleshooting instructions, see Why can't I set up my Fitbit device?

Let me know how it goes. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thank you @LiliyaFitbit. I have tried your suggestion but it is still not working. Is there anything else I can do? 

Best Answer

Same happening to me.  I have tried everything still will not charge.  Did we lose the watch?

Best Answer
0 Votes

...and my ionic has just bricked  after a swim too - no display at all - I suspect my next watch won't be a fitbit (sigh)

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Glassblade @Omarys. Thank you for your reply, @Pippawhite

@Pippawhite I am sorry to hear the issue persists, thank you for your efforts. I recommend you to follow the next steps to perform a factory reset on your device:

1. On the device, hold all three buttons for about 10 to 12 seconds. 
  2. When the Fitbit logo disappears, quickly release the bottom right button, continuing to hold down the left and top right buttons (releasing the bottom right button as soon as the logo disappears is time sensitive). 
  3. When the device vibrates, release all buttons. 
  4. Wait for approximately 1-2 minutes while the device clears all data. Eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays Fitbit.com/setup.
  5. When the device successfully resets, please use the normal out of the box process.

Take in consideration that a factory reset deletes any stored data, which includes all data that hasn't synced to your Fitbit account and your applications, alarms, etc. 

@Omarys I've shared your post with our Support team and they've mentioned that you already have a case with them. I know they will be glad to help you out and provide a solution, please keep working with them. 

@Glassblade I am sorry to hear your Ionic won't turn on. I totally understand how you are feeling and would like to confirm if you've tried the troubleshooting instructions from this help article: Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging? You can also try changing a clock face: How do I change the clock face on my Fitbit device? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did it work?

Best Answer
0 Votes

same thing! did it work?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Rungta.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing that you're experiencing the same issue with your watch. Upon checking with our Support team, I was told that you have already contacted them. I know they will be glad to help you out and provide a solution. I recommend to continue working with them since they have already all the details and special tools to continue assisting you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's a problem when the unit has just bricked - no response to buttons or charging (again) - I'll leave it in a draw for a while and see if that helps!

Pete

[cid:image001.png@01D6B8FF.A107C2E0]
Best Answer
0 Votes

nope - no response to buttons or charger

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your reply, @Glassblade.

I appreciate your troubleshooting efforts and would like to confirm if you see green lights on your watch and if the issue persists? I will be glad to assist you further. 

Looking forward to your response.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @LiliyaFitbit. I have just tried this but can’t get to the second step - “When the Fitbit logo disappears, quickly release the bottom right button, continuing to hold down the left and top right buttons (releasing the bottom right button as soon as the logo disappears is time sensitive). ” The Fitbit logo is not appearing at all. What else can I do? 

Thanks,

Pippa

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hmmm - after leaving it on a shelf for a week (in a warm room) and retrying to charge it overnight it finally responded to a reset and seems OK - it's as though it went from 75% to totally flat during a 15min swim. - then needed several days to settle enough to charge.

(I'd already tried to charge it overnight twice before I gave up so a flat battery isn't the only issue)

Pete

[cid:image001.png@01D6BB64.561AA9C0]
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your replies, @Pippawhite @Glassblade.

@Pippawhite I am sorry to hear the issue persists, thank you for your efforts. I've sent your information to the Customer Support team so they can get in touch with you and provide further assistance. You should be getting a reply soon.  

@Glassblade I am glad to hear your watch responded and it's working now. Thank you for the additional details, I recommend to keep using the watch and monitor its functionality.

I'll be around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A few days further and the screen seems to be dead - it seems to charge and sync but is useless without a display - £250 Is a lot to pay for a watch with "no hands"!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Glassblade, thank you for the update. 

I am sorry to hear the screen on your Ionic seems to be dead. Thanks for the details shared, I am sorry to hear you are going through this situation. I would like to confirm if you've tried to restart the watch and change a clock face?

Looking forward to your response. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes - tried both of those - it's doing all the connectivity and step count stuff but no display - I don't really need a blank step counter if we're honest - I rather liked having a quite expensive, nice looking watch with features. I feel the reliability isn't good enough to make me buy another one.

Pete

[cid:image001.png@01D6BEC4.5C099E50]
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your response, @Glassblade.

I appreciate the additional details, I totally understand how you are feeling. I've shared your case with our Support team and they will continue assisting you on this matter. Please keep an eye on your inbox.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes