Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic track swim workouts?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've been waiting for a fitbit tracker that is similar to the apple watch that will track swim workouts.  Will the Ionic be that tracker?  I understand it's water resistant but does that mean I can actually track a swim workout on the tracker? 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@bbnan401 wrote:

I've been waiting for a fitbit tracker that is similar to the apple watch that will track swim workouts.  Will the Ionic be that tracker?  I understand it's water resistant but does that mean I can actually track a swim workout on the tracker? 

Yes, Swim workouts are part of the suite of exercise types built into the Ionic.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
62 REPLIES 62

@bbnan401 wrote:

Yes, Swim workouts are part of the suite of exercise types built into the Ionic.

Best Answer

The ionic auto-recognizes swimming. I'm training for a 1 mile swim and really need to track my workouts. I love my charge 2, but I was getting frustrated with the lack of waterproofing. I'm thrilled the ionic is out and I'm looking forward to tracking my swimming with it. I do wish they had SWOLF scores on the watch, but that's just nitpicking and I don't place much importance on SWOLF, but it's good to see just as a benchmark. I hope we see even more advanced swim apps after the watch is in the wild. 

Best Answer

Will the GPS work when tracking swimming?

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer

@pedris wrote:

While I don't know for sure, I'm going to guess not.

Best Answer

@pedris wrote:

My guess is "no", especially at an indoor pool.  Satellite signals don't transmit through water, so receiving the GPS signal with the tracker in the water would be very difficult.

Best Answer

Iv'e been shopping around for a waterproof tracker and some claim they can use GPS if open water swimming. In fact, I have a buddy that uses GPS tacking while open water swimming, so it's possible.  GPS does not, as far as I know, work during lap swimming. As both USAF-Larry and Shipo said I doubt you can use GPS while swimming with this watch. As my drill instructor use to say: That's a no-go at this station. 

Best Answer

@datalore, as you were soldier.  🙂

Best Answer

@datalore wrote:

Iv'e been shopping around for a waterproof tracker and some claim they can use GPS if open water swimming. 

@datalore I've got friends training for triathlons and they post open water swims using Garmin 920XT. The tracks are pretty clean given the poor conditions. Sometimes I turn on satellite view and you can spot the buoys they swim out to and around.

I'm sure you've read DCRainmaker's guide, he likes triathlon watches like Garmin FR920XT/935 or Suunto Ambit. Here is a recent comparison:

https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/public/aa7839f3-a15f-4ae3-6494-11d36b8093ed

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Yeah, as I said I have a buddy with a garmin watch and he uses the GPS when we do open water swims and it works fairly well. You get the squiggly lines from your arm being underwater while swimming, but it works well. We did a lake swim last week and the GPS was pretty much spot on. I think with the open SDK we might see some interesting ionic swimming apps coming down the road. 

Best Answer

I believe Apple Watch supports open water swimming, so hopefully there will be a software update to add support for it to the Ionic. I'd prefer not to have to rely on a third party app.

Here's a feature suggestion you can upvote: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Open-water-swimming-for-Ionic/idi-p/2167434

Best Answer

Im also wondering if it tracks heart rate while swimming?

Best Answer

@Rach77 wrote:

This question was asked before and a Fitbit representative said "No".  I'm thinking I may take a shot at creating a new Swim/HRM mode via the new SDK; don't know if it'll work but it might be fun to try.  🙂

Best Answer
Wow that would be awesome! Massive respect to you clever programmer types! Good luck 😁
Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

@Rach77 wrote:

This question was asked before and a Fitbit representative said "No".  I'm thinking I may take a shot at creating a new Swim/HRM mode via the new SDK; don't know if it'll work but it might be fun to try.  🙂

I think this is a hardware limitation more than a software limitation. The heart rate sensor probably can't work accurately if any water gets between it and your wrist. I don't think most other fitness wearables support heart rate while swimming, either.

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

@Rach77 wrote:

It could work, depending on how they implement the SDK. Good idea. I already have 2 apps to develop for friends and now you're giving me some more ideas. I've already started with some Javascript libraries and I'm just waiting for them to tell me the SDK is live. Soon we will be able to create our own apps and hack this watch to a degree that is pretty awesome when you think about it. 

Best Answer
Samsung have made it work with the gear sport so it is possible. Heres hoping!
Best Answer
You are so clever. Cant wait to see if you can do something.
Best Answer

@mlindgren wrote:

@shipo wrote:

@Rach77 wrote:

I think this is a hardware limitation more than a software limitation. The heart rate sensor probably can't work accurately if any water gets between it and your wrist. I don't think most other fitness wearables support heart rate while swimming, either.

The reasons I think it might work are as follows:

• Currently I wear a Fitbit Surge which has a lower-tech HRM compared to the Ionic.
  • When I run I get really-REALLY sweaty, sweaty as in having a car turn around and laughingly tell me he needed to turn his wipers on because so much sweat slung off my arm across his windshieid.
  • I strongly suspect swimming would introduce no more water between the HRM sensor and the skin than the sweat from my running does.
  • Assuming the Ionic's HRM sensor is at least as good as the one on the Surge, and assuming the Ionic is strapped tightly to the wrist (which is how I must wear my Surge when running), I have a strong suspicion the Ionic's HRM sensors will work while swimming.
Best Answer
I agree and I really hope a programme can be produced to make it possible. Sounds like you might be the one to develope it 😊
Best Answer
0 Votes