Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic won't sync on both Android and iOS

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Syncing ionic was always sort of pain. Yesterday it became inaccessible and today, I made factory reset to my android phone and factory reset to ionic, after update ionic is, that took 1,5 h via Bluetooth, because it ignores WiFi, for I have no idea what reason. It is still glitchy hell, does not sync. Although it paired. Ok, i switched off the phone and tried to sync with iPad, it pairs. But as I see in the list of devices connection status changes from looking to connected every two seconds. Should I say it does not sync? If both android and iOS devices behave the same and syncing is that hard to make, perhaps the smart watch hardware is the issue?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

Hey there @Natalja, it's nice to see you around the forums! Thanks for already troubleshooting this inconvenience, nice way to go! Woman Very Happy 

While reading your post, I was wondering if you've checked that your Android and iOS phones are included in our list of supported devices

Since you've troubleshooted this on both devices, I'd recommend going to go to the Bluetooth settings on your phones (iOS and Android) and remove the tracker. In the list of Bluetooth devices you'll see the Ionic and next to it, this symbol "!". Hit the symbol and it will take you to the next step, once you're there select the option that says "Forget this device". Once you've made sure about that, go back to the Fitbit app, go to the "Account" option in the upper right corner and select "Set up a Device". This should start the setup process for your device. 

If you can't get started with your Fitbit device, I'd recommend taking a look at the article Why can't I set up my Fitbit device? On the other hand, if you're able to connect your watch to you phone, but a syncing issue is still occurring, try the recommendations in the article Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

Last but not least, if you have trouble connecting your watch to Wi-Fi, first make sure that your Wi-Fi network is working correctly and that your network type is compatible with your watch

After you verify the network is compatible, plug your watch into the charger and make sure it’s in range of your Wi-Fi network. For a stronger Wi-Fi connection, move your watch closer to your router. Wi-Fi won’t work on your watch when the battery level is below approximately 25%.

If you have trouble adding a Wi-Fi network, complete the steps below. 

1. Restart your watch by pressing and holding the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo.
  2. Go back to the Fitbit app and try again to add a Wi-Fi network.
  3. If you see other networks appear in the list of available networks, but not your preferred network, move your watch closer to your router.

If you have a hidden Wi-Fi network, it may not appear in the list of available networks under Wi-Fi Settings in the Fitbit app. So, manually add the network in the Fitbit app. 

iOS:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon > your watch tile.
  2. Tap or click Wi-Fi Settings.
  3. Under Networks, find the option to manually add a network and enter the network name and security type.

Android:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Account icon > your watch tile.
  2. Tap Wi-Fi Settings.
  3. Tap the 3 dots in the top right corner > Add network manually.
  4. Enter the network name and security type.

Give this a go and let me know the outcome! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I tried all that, including factory resets for the dessert. It worked in the beginning, at least it got updated after 1,5 h and synced wirelessly, but after few hours until now It does not connects nor to wifi, nor to devices. I remember the same issue with my surge watches, I got replacement in the end. But those were easier cases because of few settings. Sometimes had kinda that issue with alta, but thankfully resets worked for those.  Ionics have two types of connection and I can't detect looking at watches how It syncs, if It does and were It connects, but I dont want to talk about Ui now, I just see the notifications missing and can not get sync my stats. I am afraid I have to ask for replacement again, if no one can say that it is new glitchy updated issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How to cancel solved status? I got it by mistake, unforrunately, it is anything but solved.

btw regarding Wifi  it is tough to setup it - I can not do here anything because I can not get strong connection for watch. I just se eternal spinning loading icon.

But I must add it connects somehow once a day to fitbit cloud, because I see it was updated 1h ago, I have no idea how and where, when I try to do it manually it jyst shows me spinning circle and I do not remember when was the last time I saw notification about call or anything. 

Such a disappointment watch.

From my latest experiments I tried to connect it via wire and the bluetooth (fitbit bluetooth usb device). If I unplug this fitbit usb module, it shows pink triangle and says bluetooth is off, as soon as I plug it in, triangle disappears. Looks like it pairs, but does not sync. Can not access wifi setup from windows app either. It says bluetooth is off (no idea why, fitbit module is plugged in).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @Natalja! Can you please tell me what's the model of your phone? As I previously asked, have you checked if the device you're using is included in the list of supported devices

Did you also make sure that your Wi-Fi network is working correctly and that your network type is compatible with your watch? Have you checked the Ionic's battery? Is it up to 25%?

Have you made sure that your Ionic is no longer listed in the phone's Bluetooth settings? If the Fitbit is still connected in any of the devices you're using, please remove it and start from scratch. 

Is the Fitbit app on the iOS and Android up-to-date? 

Would you be so kind to send me screen shots of the error messages you're getting so I can go from there? Error on the tracker, error on the Fitbit app, error on the phone's Bluetooth settings. Anything would be of a big help. 

Looking forward to your response! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Okay, let me answer every of your questions from the last post:

list of supported devices

Yes. It worked perfectly for long period: Sony Xperia Z, Apple iPad Pro 12.9” and Windows 10. All are up to date and work perfectly.

Is it up to 25%? currently it is 94% Yesterday it was about 80.

Have you made sure that your Ionic is no longer listed in the phone's Bluetooth settings

I hit FORGET button yesterday in Android and I do not see it in Blutoeth devices at all now.

I had the same experience before factory reset. I made it for both ionic and Android at the same time. I was concerned the problem is with my phone. After that, Ionic bacame visible for couple of hours, that made me happy at first and I thought it fixed everything,unfortunately it did not. And I don't want run factory resets every few days you know. 

Would you be so kind to send me screen shots of the error messages you're getting so I can go from there?

Please note, that I do not see it connected to my Android phone right now. It can not connect via my PC as well, iOs device was not around for long hours, how was it synced? No idea. Only support can figure out this thing, I believe they have log data to do that. Screenshot_20180508-162022.png

Wifi? I did not add work wifi network after factory reset, so I doubt it could sync via wifi last hour.

This is my message when I try to setup wifi here.

Screenshot_20180508-162407.png

Regarding windows 10 app I see this:

Capture.JPG

after few seconds message "looking for tracker" disappears, nothing else happens both ionic connected via wire and Fitbit station plugged in.

Just to make sure, restarted phone, restarted ionic, no effect.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back to me with the information requested @Natalja. Really appreciate that! Since this sounds a bit more serious, I was about to create a Support Case on your behalf, but I've seen that you already have one. So I've shared your post with Customer Support, they will reply to you shortly.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarreFitbit thank you for taking your time to solve my problem, I agree, feels like hardly solving it with just simple resetup.

Little update on the case:

My ipad did find ionic via bloetooth yesterday, even after hitting FORGET button.

And I think it got synced yesterday, at least everything except active minutes was updated.

Android device still does not see ionic as available device, although it sees and pairs with other devices. I've noticed it got synced this hour, I guess it happened via android, because it is the only option it had during that time, without any actions from my side. 

When I try to update Fitbit Coach in Apps, it shows message "error connecting to ionic".

I hope this info is helpful for support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi natalja,

Welcome to the ionic won’t sync club, there’s hundreds of members in it. Best pack you ionic back in the box and stick it in a cupboard until Fitbit do something about the problem. Wouldn’t hold your breath on anything happening soon. 

Best Answer

@Stubhoy67 Hi! well I do believe I am not the only one with such kind of issues.

But my all experience with fitbit is that in case of hardware issue, they are replacing the product. In case any accessory breaks, they do replacements as well.  I believe speaking about that and describing issues trying to solve it in case it is software issue is very important to them as QA job. In case we see it as the hardware issue, that may happen to any product, sometimes transmitters break for no reason, they solve it too. 

Yep, it is little disappointing to buy not cheapest smartwatch and experience that problem after 5 months, on the other hand they behave like responsible, so I am not frustrating much.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My husband copied logs from my phone`s Bluetooth that still does not detect ionic product around, I hope this might help:

05-11 01:13:49.423 3458 3740 W SyncDeviceTask: Sync Failed.
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: Handler (android.os.Handler) {8d95703} sending message to a Handler on a dead thread
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Handler (android.os.Handler) {8d95703} sending message to a Handler on a dead thread
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.MessageQueue.enqueueMessage(MessageQueue.java:600)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.Handler.enqueueMessage(Handler.java:643)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.Handler.sendMessageAtTime(Handler.java:612)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.Handler.sendMessageDelayed(Handler.java:582)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.Handler.sendEmptyMessageDelayed(Handler.java:546)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.Handler.sendEmptyMessage(Handler.java:531)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.bluetooth.BlockingStateMachineTask.a(SourceFile:210)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.bluetooth.SyncDeviceTask.a(SourceFile:1043)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.bluetooth.SyncBluetoothDeviceTask.a(SourceFile:420)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.bluetooth.SyncDeviceTask.a(SourceFile:453)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.bluetooth.BlockingStateMachineTask.q(SourceFile:318)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.bluetooth.SyncDeviceTask.a(SourceFile:1118)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.bluetooth.SyncBluetoothDeviceTask.a(SourceFile:431)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.a.a(SourceFile:153)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.ak.a(SourceFile:39)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.bluetooth.y.b(SourceFile:218)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at com.fitbit.bluetooth.y$a.run(SourceFile:256)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:751)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:241)
05-11 01:13:49.504 3458 3740 W MessageQueue: at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61)
Best Answer
0 Votes

While Fitbit support does not give an anything to solve my issue, that now is getting very frustrating, my iPad stopped seeing ionic via Bluetooth. And guess what, it says it also updated my Fitbit ionic! Wow! But looks like ionic haven’t heard of that.DSC_0009 1.JPG

I feel like nobody cares about me here. But I’ll post it anyway.

in case it continue like that I can claim to local consumer protection agency, and they might solve it on different level.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Yada yada yada, same old steps that never work, it is safe to say that it is Fit bit who has the issue not us who paid for this piece of junk I have tried at least 5 different pc's and 3 laptops as well as several android phones. The Ionic never even shows up on the list of devices and for the one time it did it went away as if it was being chased by wolves. On 10 ios it syncs part way but will not go threw with it. So then I try my phone and it shows a red error exclamation point. And as far as being next to my router if I get any closer I will have to crawl inside it and live there. So please fix the issues Fitbit, the fact is when you sold this you said that it will sync with Windows 10 and android phones, now that you have the money we don't matter anymore. It is a shame that you can't even fix the products that you make, no one should have to go threw with this much trouble, so save all the steps that are useless and take back the crap you made and fix it."

Best Answer
0 Votes