Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual screen wake on touch?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I have my "screen wake" setting switched to manual mode and I had assumed that this meant only the buttons would wake the device. However, I've noticed that touching the screen also wakes the screen and therefore the screen unintentionally activates.

This is a problem when I'm recording an activity and the watch wakes itself, then whilst the screen is active, further touches sometimes pause the workout. A good example of this was when I ran a Tough Mudder last weekend and the activity paused itself several times and many chunks of the activity are missing.

Thanks,

Joe

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

@dsouzaj86

I have noticed the same thing. My screen wake is set to "Manual", but tapping the watch a few times very fast causes it to come back on. It doesn't matter if I tap the screen, or tap the metal bezel, or even tap my wrist, it will come back on. 

Best Answer

Manual includes pressing buttons OR tapping the screen.  That is as designed.

Best Answer

Is this just an opinion? I can't see anything in the manual regarding this being intentional. I would like it if the touch wasn't included in the manual setting, hopefully this is something future updates would agree with

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dsouzaj86

Found it here:

tapion.JPG

So, it's not an option, it's as designed as previously noted.

The problem with this setting is that the screen comes on too easily. It comes on if I just set my wrist on my desk, or bump my arm... without even touching the screen.

Best Answer

See page 16 of the User Manual.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, you're both right. It doesn't feel like a single slight tap should activate the screen considering general everyday use (showering with the ionic on really messes things up).

Perhaps a third option will become available in the future ... https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Screen-Wake-Manual-Auto-and-quot-Button-only-quo...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

This is not how it works. Taping the screen is NOT the trigger to turn the screen on.

I can tap the bezel of the watch, and it wakes the screen.

I can tap the skin of my wrist near the watch, and it wakes the screen.

I can bump my arm, and it wakes the screen. 

If it were just taping the screen, it wouldn't be an issue. But it's ANY area NEAR the watch that is hard enough to trigger whatever mechanism causes the screen to come on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

lol - oh yes, tapping my hand wakes the device. No wonder the situation seems worse than I originally thought

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@SunsetRunner

This is not how it works. Taping the screen is NOT the trigger to turn the screen on.

I can tap the bezel of the watch, and it wakes the screen.

I can tap the skin of my wrist near the watch, and it wakes the screen.

I can bump my arm, and it wakes the screen. 

If it were just taping the screen, it wouldn't be an issue. But it's ANY area NEAR the watch that is hard enough to trigger whatever mechanism causes the screen to come on.

Mine is certainly not that sensitive.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Both of you guys may want to contact Customer Support to see if they offer any remedy. I would try a RESTART also just on the off chance that might help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see you're following the "restart the watch" script that the rest of the Fitbit "help" here follow.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I see you're following the "restart the watch" script that the rest of the Fitbit "help" here follow.

I'm not following anyone's script except my own! I'm nearly 90 years old and have been affiliated with computers since they came on the scene. One thing I learned many years ago is that a simple Restart solves many, many problems.  And these smartwatches are simply small computers.  If you choose to ignore my advice , that is your prerogative.  Actually, in this case, as I inferred in my answer, I think it highly unlikely that the problem will be cured but it hurts nothing to try.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your age is not germane to the discussion, nor is your experience with computers. Hell, I've been "affiliated with computers since they came on the scene" and I'm only 54. 

None of this has any bearing on the issue at hand. What you've stated from the very beginning is - touching the screen turns it on. That's not the actual mechanism, if bumping my arm causes it to come on. That's the actual issue that needs to be resolved.

Besides, I restart my watch every Sunday at the same time I restart my phone. SOP.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I apologize for wasting your valuable time trying to help.

Best Answer

Probably no need for such a nasty response to a bloke who's clearly only trying to help. 

Best Answer
0 Votes