Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New changes to resting heart rate RHR calculation?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Anyone else seeing changes to their resting heart rate in the last week or so? Starting on about 12/2 my RHR has jumped 3-5 bpm upward, and doesn't seem to match how I feel, or the HR graph. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

@swduncan

Yes. What was sitting around 51bpm jumped up to 59bpm over the course of a few days - with no change to my activity level. It's been a roller coaster, more than usual it seems.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really wish they would leave their algorithms alone. It's very annoying to see a jump and wonder if it's something I should be concerned with or some developer changed something in the SW and it's just the new normal. 

As far as I can tell, both my Charge 2 and Ionic are measuring my actual heart rate ok, They both read higher than my Garmin 235, but historically the RHR on the Garmin runs about 7 beats lower using data from the last year and a half. 

So my average for Oct & November was 69, but starting in December it's climbed steadily to 79. I suppose it could be holiday stress; I guess I'll find out when the shopping is done 8-)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have no change in the RHR and have been monitoring the Ionic against my sleeping average HR.. Proving, when Fitbit put the emphasis on, "wear your tracker while you sleep", how it can affect the RHR.

Also we have had the highest continuous daily and overnight temperatures in Melbourne in the last month of Spring.since records were started in 1862.  So I was examining the affect of blankets and no blankets.

I slept on top of the bed in shorts where the peak temperatures show.  The graph shows how my Average sleeping HR follows the Ionic RHR.  The early part of November was a single blanket time and a slight elevation of both RHR and Average sleeping HR.

The last image is comparing my RHR a year ago and the graph in 2016 was from the Blaze.

Footnote... Battery life is now 13% after exactly 6 days, no GPS and wearing 24/7.

rhr sleep temp 18dec17.jpgDec16 vs Dec17.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes
Just curious, were did you make the graph with? And how did you get the data in it?????
Phone: Xiaomi Mi5 OS: Android 7.1/Lineage 14.1
Watch: Ionic
Previous watches:Pebble, Pebble Time, Samsung Gear Fit2
Best Answer
0 Votes

@elot. The data is loaded into an Excel spreadsheet manually.

The RHR is input each day from the Dashboard on the phone

The temperatures are from our local Weather Bureau public data.

Centigrade is just input and converted to Fahrenheit

The Ave sleeping HR is from a manual activity created on the phone using the sleeping period as the input.

But to do this via the phone you MUST  create your manual record on the PC Dashboard or via the internet on your phone. The mobile phone exercise tile must have a predetermined activity.

When you enter your data to create the Custom Activity the system gives you the calories automatically. There is always a delay before the average HR displays.

This image is what to expect from the Exercise Tile and if you wish to view it via the internet you will see the second image. Ignore the yellow colours because Fitbit have the scale wrong and there should only be one minute of fat burn. The rest green

Screenshot_20171218-211516.png

Screenshot_20171218-213056.png

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39, thanks, but to be honest, that is to much work for me 🙂

I'm lazy, that is why i wanted a fitbit in the first place Smiley LOL

Phone: Xiaomi Mi5 OS: Android 7.1/Lineage 14.1
Watch: Ionic
Previous watches:Pebble, Pebble Time, Samsung Gear Fit2
Best Answer
0 Votes

@elotThanks for the reply.... This is what a retired engineer does.... Checking that the Fitbit is accurate and the baselines can be relied on..  Smiley Happy It only took 2 minutes this morning to update with an overnight low of 73oF (23oC).

Enjoy your Fitbit as I have with all of mine over the years...

@elot wrote:

@Colinm39, thanks, but to be honest, that is to much work for me 🙂

I'm lazy, that is why i wanted a fitbit in the first place Smiley LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am so glad I'm not the only one seeing a jump. I've been so worried about my RHR jumping. It used to be in the mid 50's, but lately won't even go to the low 60's. I had a feeling Fitbit changed something, now I'm sure. Many days I'm getting plenty of exercise, drinking more than 64 oz of water, and getting 8 hours of sleep, but my RHR won't lower. I'm probably going to get a Polar as I use to have one to find out my true RHR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have continued my RHR V's average sleep HR because Fitbit stress we wear our trackers at night..  I have deleted the night temperature graphs from last time because those had little effect.just the extra blankets..

My RHR May 2018, typically 55  Ionic

"      "      "     2017. typically 54  Blaze

"      "      "     2016, typically 54  Blaze

"      "    Sep  2015, typically 54  Surge                                                        

Here are the latest results.. nearly 8 months...so you can see how important it is to wear your wrist trackers 24/7.

Sleep Vs RHR 24map18.jpg

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I am so glad I'm not the only one seeing a jump. I've been so worried about my RHR jumping. It used to be in the mid 50's, but lately won't even go to the low 60's. I had a feeling Fitbit changed something, now I'm sure. Many days I'm getting plenty of exercise, drinking more than 64 oz of water, and getting 8 hours of sleep, but my RHR won't lower. I'm probably going to get a Polar as I use to have one to find out my true RHR.

Best Answer