Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications on Ionic break when using multiple users on Android

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is kind of an obscure bug but annoying to me for a few reasons. I have a second user on my handset that I use to compartmentalize some apps that I don't want to have access to my contacts/photos/etc. When I use the user switcher to switch over to the other user accounts, notifications no longer go to my Fitbit Ionic until I reboot the watch. Sometimes toggling bluetooth fixes it.

I'm currently using a Pixel 2 XL running Android 8.

You can replicate this by going into settings on your phone, going to Users & Accounts, then choose "Users", Click add user and either create a new google account to go with it or sign into a different one, then you can switch into that user, then switch back to the primary user running Fitbit. After this, your Fitbit will sync, but will not display notifications until you either go into settings/about/shutdown and turn it back on, or toggling bluetooth on the phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@PaulTimmins Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for posting the situation you are experiencing with Ionic notification when using multiple users.

I've never seen this before, very strange. Thanks for reporting this. When using only one user, are the notifications working properly?

By checking the list of supported devices I see that the Google Pixel XL is supported. However, the list is not showing any Pixel 2 XL. That could be the source of this.

Keen to hear if any other users have tried this?

Keep me posted! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it works absolutely fine on the pixel 2 XL, which is unsurprising since it runs basically identical software to the pixel 1. The problem only occurs when using user switching (if I stay in a single user, it works totally fine basically forever). You can easily replicate it on any android phone that way I suspect, I don't have others to test with. I suspect it loses bluetooth connectivity in some way when the other user loads up, but it won't re-establish that connectivity when it comes back to that user (even though sync works, the notifications do not after that, rebooting the watch or cycling bluetooth fixes it). If I switch users, switch back, then hit send test notification in the app, it doesn't work.

Best Answer
0 Votes