Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPO2 sensor on Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Part of the sales pitch for the Ionic watch was that it has multiple additional features that would come online after launch, including the ability to check blood oxygen levels. I've yet to find anything to do with it anywhere. Has anyone got any information when this stuff is going live or was it just marketing? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and word choice.

Best Answer
252 REPLIES 252

This answer in unacceptable! It is advertised to have spo2 sensor. It does.  I just want it enabled so I can see my levels. I don't care if an app tracks it. I want to see it. That's why I bought this watch. This is a tad underhanded to market something this way and say "Sorry, It's for future use we just wanted you to buy our unfinished watch!" 

Best Answer

This is spread all over the internet. I was bummed for a second thinking that I missed out on the spo2 sensor by buying the charge 2. It is so weird that the idea that the ionic has a spo2 sensor is spread so far and wide on the internet. 

Best Answer

Google it and you will be enlightened. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This blog is hilarious. I love how everything is "solved" even though it clearly is not. The poor people here that fell for the spo2 BS and even still think that maybe the hardware is there and the softsoft update just needs to come. People were obviously deceived. I actually like my device but gosh,  your company's customer service arm and its robot responses is bizarre. 

Best Answer

I just took my Ionic off and looked and I can verify that the hardware very much is there...

Best Answer

And your point is?^

Best Answer
0 Votes

wrote:

This answer in unacceptable! It is advertised to have spo2 sensor. It does.  I just want it enabled so I can see my levels. I don't care if an app tracks it. I want to see it. That's why I bought this watch. This is a tad underhanded to market something this way and say "Sorry, It's for future use we just wanted you to buy our unfinished watch!" 

Read the thread. Not listed in the specs. Not advertised for customers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

9E9E6B49-8829-4D5B-8088-FBA35D881A1E.jpeg

Nice press release headline “... debuts with ... relative SoO2 sensor, ...” 

Fitbit makes sure SpO2 is written about online, and 5 months later still hiding behind legal BS

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
REALLY? You can:
1. read schematics,
2. Open up the unit, to see every connection and circuit.
3. Validate where the leads go.
4. etc....?

Because, short of a working API, you would have to do the above, AND MORE,
to validate that!

I once had a talk with a company FOR MONTHS! They SWORE the hardware was
there and fully compliant. They SWORE it was doing what I wanted EVEN
WHERE THEY WERE! EVENTUALLY, I DEMANDED the schematics! I found it was
IMPOSSIBLE for it to work as they claimed! When they realized that they
had NO way to contradict me, they said their "support" was that the rom
would state they could NOT do it, and FAIL! They claimed that a misplaced
comment lead to the misunderstanding, even though that would mean they
INTENTIONALLY put a misleading phrase in, and LIED TO ME FOR MONTHS!

So you CAN'T just say "THE HARDWARE IS THERE"! THEY SAID THE SAME!

Anyway, the above is the reason why I did NOT buy that watch.

Steve
Best Answer
0 Votes

You haven't been paying attention .... many, many devices don't work, or barely work when released, and sometimes get fixed, and sometimes not. Google TV is a great fairly recent example. It was practically blank when shipped ... all it had was a boot-loader, so they could install the software when they got it working ... they had to get the device sold for Christmas, but if I remember correctly, the software missed the holiday! Sony has done it, Samsung does it often, sometimes removing what they shipped, and installing a completely different experience. Not to mention Tesla!

Best Answer
0 Votes

wrote:

9E9E6B49-8829-4D5B-8088-FBA35D881A1E.jpeg

Nice press release headline “... debuts with ... relative SoO2 sensor, ...” 

Fitbit makes sure SpO2 is written about online, and 5 months later still hiding behind legal BS

Looping again.

Your source is here which is an investor site not a customer site:
https://investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2017/Fitbit-Launches-Ionic-th...

Looking at the press release (PDF that is pointed to) it says:

"New sensor technology: The introduction of a relative SpO2 sensor for estimating blood oxygen levels opens the potential for tracking important new indicators about your health, such as sleep apnea. "

This marketing is designed for investors not customers. Investors want to know what is around the corner. The sales site never showed the spec's or any mention of a working SpO2 sensor.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not about complaining - what good is blame, shame, or whining? You are interested in a feature that Fitbit wants more than you do - for sure. I want it too, even if it isn't perfect, or it's just for fun for awhile ... but that's tricky ground because of those "Blamers" I was complaining about. I'd bet my bottom dollar that if it weren't for lawyers we'd be playing with the sensor now ... it might even work most of the time, but "most" means lawsuits to lawyers, so here we sit.

I would like to feel a little more "in the loop", and that would satisfy many Fitbit fans.

Alta, One, Ionic (Samsung S2 in the drawer with old ones)

Best Answer
0 Votes
That may be, but I sure didn't see any evidence of attempts to correct the
many media outlets that reported the sensor to consumers on the basis of
the investor press release.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s ok to be annoyed,but what you want is the tech, so encourage them, ask for real updates, and spend $19 for a fingertip meter until Fitbit figures out how to make it what, 20 times smaller? I still think they will be first to market - I just don’t know if it will be before driverless cars.

Best Answer
0 Votes
$19 for a "fingertip meter"? OK, WHERE?

The CLOSEST I have seen is about $50 for a short use, WHEN AWAKE, meter.

I have certainly NEVER seen an overnight monitor for $19 of ANY type, let
alone to detect blood oxygen level.

So YEAH, I would be interested to know where to get even something similar
in a REMOTE way for $19, but it will only be a remote way.

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn’t say overnight, though I suppose you could have someone read it for you overnight. If there was a reasonable recording pulse oximeter, than you wouldn’t have to wait for this one. Here’s what I meant, $12 @Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Finger-Pulse-Oximeter-DP100-CMS50DL-in-Blue-Sapphire-The-Authentic-Pulse-...

Best Answer
0 Votes
All of you who work for Fitbit please identify yourself in your posts. I
don't have anything against Fitbit and actually wish the company well
against the giants but company line should be identified as such.
Otherwise you lose credibility and goodwill, opposite of intended effect.
Best Answer
0 Votes

All of you who work for Fitbit please identify yourself in your posts.  I don't have anything against Fitbit and actually wish the company well against the giants but company line should be identified as such.  Otherwise you lose credibility and goodwill, opposite of intended effect.

Best Answer
0 Votes

wrote:

All of you who work for Fitbit please identify yourself in your posts.  I don't have anything against Fitbit and actually wish the company well against the giants but company line should be identified as such.  Otherwise you lose credibility and goodwill, opposite of intended effect.

Ah good one, why not start a conspiracy just because you can!! 
Er - what makes you think they aren't identifying themselves?

"but company line should be identified as such" - Such as? Please show us your concerns... or did you cherry pick this out of nowhere?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Funny how fitbit paid to ensure that various sites talk about the spo2 sensor in the ionic, but then it never put the same effort to announce that the spo2 is delayed and is for future use. It simply became quiet about it silently.

Also "for future" is a claim than you cannot disprove. It is not a falsifiable claim. Its like religion "there is heaven and hell in the future".

Absolutely disgusting. Never bought the Ionic  but this behaviour made me want to never buy fitbit again.

Best Answer