Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep logging much inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi Fitbit.

For a long time now i ovserved that my ionic register REM and Light sleep for hours that i acctually completely awake. This happens every night.

I sleep some hours and wake up, still in bed thinking or playing with my phone etc. According to fitbit most of this period is Light sleep and a less part REM, while completely awake.

Does more than me see  this problem? Is there a solution?

I have used sensitive mode.

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

@Peter76 Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for your interest in sleep tracked by Ionic.

So, it is possible that sometimes Ionic (or any other device with auto-sleep tracking), will track sleep even if you weren't sleeping. If the watch detects that you are not moving or doing any "Awake movements", it will think you are sleeping. You can delete that sleep log on your dashboard.

Something you can do is, whenever you wake up after being asleep if you are not planning on getting out of bed anytime soon, try moving your arm a bit so Ionic will recognize you are awake.

You could also try changing the sleep sensitivity from "Sensitive" to "Normal" and just check if that will make a difference. Keep in mind that the "Normal" setting will counts significant movements as being awake (such as rolling over), so this could be a better option for you. 

Hope this helps. Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your response. I will try that setting even  though it sounds lileb sensitive mode should be more appropriate.

I can also mention that some night i get up early (baby wakes up etc), I visit the bathroom and then eating some early breakfast, and, then i go back to bed to rest  before job etc starts.

Ionic correctly says i am awake when inget out of bed, but when i get back to bed it is the same pantern again Awake=Awake+REM+Light Sleep.

Somehow i do belive the watch detects deep sleep good. 

Regards

Best Answer
0 Votes

The strange thing is that this never happens outside or in connection with specified "sleeping schedule".

I can during the day lay down in the sofa resting and ionic does not register this as any kind of sleep.

Could it be that the watch interprets wrong during the time interval of "sleeping schedule"?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Peter76 Thanks for your reply and for providing all of that information! How did sleep went last night?

That is strange. Sleep gets tracked taking into account your movements. When it senses that you are not moving too much for a period of time and it detects some "sleeping movements" it will star to track. 

Something else you could try is performing a restart on Ionic to check if this betters. This usually helps when data is not being tracked correctly sometimes. 

The finding about the sleep schedule you are saying are very interesting. So, this only happens between the hours of your sleep schedule? It could be that your watch will expect you sleeping at the sleep schedule hours, so it becomes more "aware" of your movement and if you don't move that much it may start to track sleep. I will investigate further on this to be sure about it.

Thanks for your post. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi and thanks for your interest and response. 

I used normal mode last night and it could maby be more accurate, i must try more nights though.

I woke up approximately 1.5 hours before the watch reported it, during this time I was cuddeling the kid (movements such as arms, changed position to the side etc). The watch stopped logging when i got out of bed.

I will make a restart also and see if it changes anything.

/Peter 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Settings:

Bed time 22:30.

Wake up time 07:00.

Normal mode.

Rebooted.

My "sense" was that during this time or in conection with these hours it logged sleep.

Last night i was watching TV (tired) and Ionic started to log sleep 20:57 (1.5 hours before i stops up and sent to ned with my wife).

I woke up at latest 06:00 and shaked my arm but stayed in bed. Ionic said i was sleeping still and that sleep ended when i actually stood up approx 1.5 hours later.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Additionally, 1 week ago, most daytime and nights of friday, saturday and half sunday i spent in bed sleeping with high fever. 

The ionic actually cought 2 short time intervalls as sleep outside the sleeping schedule, a good thing, but way to short. These occations was the only ones that did not follow the pattern "inside or in connection with the schedule".

I am very sorry for my bad spelling, the telephone writes other words than the ones i intend.

What kind of details would you be interested in? I will  log and present them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Peter76 I hope you're doing well! Sorry for my delayed response. Thanks for sharing all of that information with me.

How was sleep tracked these past days? Is it giving any accurate data since the restart?

What is your sleep schedule set to?

Is it giving inaccurate sleep data every night?

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi and thanks for your interest

1. Settings:

Schedule 22:30 go 07:00.

Normal mode.

2. It shows pritty much the same pantern as Sensitive Mode. 

Every night it loggs awake time as a combination if Light sleep (~50%-60%), REM (~10%-20%) and awake time   (~10%-20%). Around 5%-15% deep sleep.

Last night i woke up at 04:00 because of my small kid was screaming. The ionic continued to log sleep until  07:00 even though i got up, sent to bathroom, pocket up the kid and sent back to bed.

I will make a reboot again and try sensitive again

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Peter76 Thanks for your reply and for providing this information.

Let me know the outcome once you try the restart and sensitive mode once again.

If your watch keeps tracking sleep while you are awake after doing the above; the best thing will be to report that to customer support for them to take a deeper look at this. I can help you out with that if needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi again.

The Only strange thing this night was that i woke up and stood up 05:00 and the Ionic registered that as awake 1 minute between 05:00 and 05:01. Even though i and all familj members was up the ionic logged the following:

Light sleep to 05:12.

Rem sleep to 05:17.

Light sleep to 05:18.

No registration of awake after 05:18 (it has always done it before so this was the first time).  

Do you Think i should contact support directly or wait some more nights? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

In addition, regarding the time outside the put sleep schedule (22:30-07:00).

During the time with Normal Mode (before last rebood and change to sensitive mode), the Ionic did not register any sleeping time during the daytime even though i took short 15-60 min naps when the baby girl went to sleep.

Before the reboot and change to normal mode it happened approximately 5 times since I bought the Ionic (February 27 2018) that it registered a nap, even when i was sick with fever and slept/did not move at all pritty much all day and night. At this "fever time" it logged sleep between 25 to 75 minutes while i was gone "all day" in 40.5-39.5 deg.C between 23-26 Mars.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Friday it probably logged good.

Deep sleep i assume it logga good.

Still awake time laying still in bed shows as a combination of awake, rem and light.

Putting example picture:

Screenshot_20180408-094033.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Peter76 Thanks for your reply and for sharing this information and screen shots.

I'm glad to hear it shown correct for Friday. Would you say it is now working properly or do you still feel it is being inaccurate?

If it is still being inaccurate I can help you out by creating a case with customer support in your behalf. That way they can take a deeper look at this.

Keep me posted! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great! I assume it is best if you open a ticket.

I attach image from last night. I was awake before 04:00. I got up at 04:00 and ate breakfast untill approximately 04:25. Then back to bed and tested until ~06:10.

So there is some hours awake registered as light sleep, rem and awake.Screenshot_20180410-151754.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Peter76 Thanks for your reply and for sharing another screen shot with valuable information regarding your sleep logs.

I went ahead and created a case with customer support for you to get further assistance. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for next steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes