Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps from arm movement

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It seems that FitBit step counting can easily be fooled by arm movement alone. This works on my Ionic and I asked some Charge 2 users to test it as well and same result. You just move your arm as if walking and it logs steps.

This is really pathetic and disappointing. This kind of thing shouldn't have got past product testing. The device needs to be a little more intelligent to detect actual motion. 

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Lol how else does it measure your steps?.. Try and make a pedometer that doesn't rely on motion. Maybe you could strap it to your leg?

Best Answer

If you walk without moving your arms then it won't register any steps either as @RopesNZ suggested perhaps placing on your ankle might be the best option for you.  I think you will find that virtually all wrist mounted step counters work using arm movement carried out while actually walking or running

Best Answer

I take the good with the bad.. We lose steps walking on carpet and shopping, we gain steps by doing gardening..

Fortunately I have a Fitbit One and that keeps the Ionic honest.. I have it in multi mode and the syncing evens things out.

Smiley HappyThe One always syncs even with this issue with App 2.64 on the Android.. The Ionic needs a restart occasionally to sync.. I had a drought of 4 hours with the Ionic today, but the One kept syncing...and messages kept coming onto the Ionic from Pay and notifications... Explain that !!!!!

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes