Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swim issues

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

There are a number. I got an ionic at Christmas because I wanted a smart watch that would track swimming but....

* The default BPM calculation is off my miles. I typically take a 15 minute walk to the pool that gets my BPM up from around 65 at rest to around 100. I could walk faster or run a lot faster. I typically swim 20 lengths of the 25m pool and push myself pretty hard and so could not go much harder and yet the Ionic insists my BPM is around 83! It must actually be a lot higher than my average walking BPM of 100. It would be helpful if the user could change the default swim BPM calculation to represent their own swimming experience.

* The stats are very limited. I would like to be able to display weekly and monthly etc stats like one gets for the main exercises. As it stands there is no way of tracking changes to swims over time.

* After a swim the watch displays more detailed stats than the App, including times to the second whereas the app rounds down to the nearest minute. Why? 

When can we expect expect these issues to be addressed? PS my App is on Android.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Optical heart rate monitors don't really work well in water. The only way to get a reliable heart rate in water is to use a chest strap. Fitbit does not currently support chest straps, so we swimmers are simply out of luck. The technology behind optical sensors simply don't work well under water. 

Best Answer
Yes thank you I understand that it's the replacement BPM that the App uses
that I take issue with. Perhaps it's simply the last BPM registered before
the swim that's used. Whatever, the method it's not very smart. It
presumably drives the other derived stats such as calories burned that are
also way off.
Best Answer
0 Votes