Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off quick view at night.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On my Charge 2, I have to put a piece of electrical tape over the display at night as it is so bright.

Will the Ionic have the ability to just turn off the display at night? I hope so!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@brightonpete Ionic does have a "display" setting that can be set to "OFF" or "wake on wrist turn." When set to "OFF" it does not illuminate with a wrist turn, perfect for nighttime usage.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
51 REPLIES 51

@brightonpete Ionic does have a "display" setting that can be set to "OFF" or "wake on wrist turn." When set to "OFF" it does not illuminate with a wrist turn, perfect for nighttime usage.

Best Answer

But you'll have to set it to 'off' every night and turn it back 'on' in the morning?  We already have that option on most devices, don't we?

Best Answer

A more thoughtful feature would be Fitbit switching the screen off when you're sleeping. Looks like you'll have to remember to switch it off and on again every day. 

Fitbit can't be bothered to fix a big bug that takes minutes and lasted years
Best Answer

A more thoughtful feature would be:

(1) Enable the screen brightness to be adjusted by the user. From 10% to 100%.

(2) Tie the above based on the following:

(a) When the user is sleeping (the device will know this); and/or

(b) Scheduled bed time based on user setting.

So for instance during the day, the screen is set to normal brightness. When going to bed by say 10:00pm and waking up by 6:00am the screen brightness is down to 10%. After 6:00am, the screen brightness is back to normal level.

All this can be set up via software.

Best Answer

Currently on my Apple Watch I have exactly this method, namely manually select theatre mode every time I go to bed. I don't think the Fitbit's method is any more or less arduous.

Best Answer
Just as long as it can be done. Either manual or auto. That is better than either throwing onto the floor or putting a piece of tape on it every night!
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner The Blaze and Ionic are the only 2 trackers that have the Quick View setting built into the device, so you don't have to go into the online Dashboard to adjust it.

@SunriseRun1250 @brightonpete I would like that feature as well! I recommend creating an Ionic specific Feature Suggestion and making sure to vote for it. Share it here as well so I can vote too.

@brightonpete Screen brightness does have a setting that may be adjusted from "Auto", "Normal", "Dim", or "Max."

Best Answer
Well, after careful consideration, with it being a tossup between the new Apple Watch and the Fitbit Ionic… i think the Apple Watch is winning out for me, as I am so ingrained in the Apple system.
Best Answer

@brightonpete wrote:
Well, after careful consideration, with it being a tossup between the new Apple Watch and the Fitbit Ionic… i think the Apple Watch is winning out for me, as I am so ingrained in the Apple system.

If it's of any interest, I've an AW Nike and heavily in the Apple system, yet am getting the Ionic. Yes I have an interest in what will come with the next AW but given my Fitbit involvement (have an Aria as well) and the ever increasing cost of Apple stuff, I'm going to try the Ionic  (had the Blaze before switching to AW). I'll miss some apps and Siri on my wrist but think I'll adapt Smiley Happy

Best Answer

An example where this request has been made with at least 2,000 votes is on the Charge 2 here: Charge 2 LED Dimming/night mode as well as 1,500 votes here: Turn off quick view when I'm sleeping

Some of the comments in that thread are interesting to say the least.

Expect more of the same for future Ionic owners.

Best Answer

@steveting99,

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure that the device itself doesn't actually know that you're sleeping...  Fitbit does not determine that you were sleeping until you sync and it analyzes the data from your tracker.  The tracker itself doesn't behave any differently.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thought that with the new red LED sensors that the new Iconic can measure deeper into the skin.? Such as oxygen level in the blood stream and thus determine if one has sleep apnoea? If so, and with the heart rate and motion sensors, the Iconic will know when one is at rest and fallen asleep. The screen can then be dimmed down to a user defined level (or OFF completely).

Even if the Iconic can't determine if one has fallen asleep, a sleep time mode (via firmware implementation) can dim the screen based on user defined sleep time. Scorching ones eye balls via a 1,000 nit display in total darkness is a nice way to increase stress levels and decrease health.

A night time mode (different from sleep time mode) where blue light is reduced to minimize eye fatigue would be a nice feature to have also. Not sure if Fitbit will include a sensor to detect ambient light conditions to adjust the display brightness level, similar to what mobile phones do. Probably too late to include this now.

Best Answer

@steveting99,

I happen to have sleep apnea, and you don't need to go as far as measuring blood oxygen level to really determine that.  The count and duration of restlessness will easily show you if you have sleep apnea.  Granted, I had started with Fitbit after I got my CPAP machine, but I would expect those instances to be significantly higher and longer...  And no, I'm not willing to sacrifice mine (or my spouse's) sleep to figure it out for sure.

Yes, Fitbit, in general, knows when/how you were asleep.  The question is does this occur at a tracker level or does this occur at an analysis level on the server after you sync... and I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

I'm not debating whether any of your other suggestions have merit, I'm merely pointing out that you can't assume that the tracker itself knows that you're sleeping.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@steveting99 In the future, the Sp02 sensor could give consumers the opportunity to identify potential health issues like sleep apnea. We are still exploring how this could manifest in the consumer experience, but such technology would use this sensor.

I recommend adding those suggested features as ideas to our Feature Suggestion board. At this point, you would have to manually dim the display with the built-in "Brightness" setting on Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

If it's of any interest, I've an AW Nike and heavily in the Apple system, yet am getting the Ionic. Yes I have an interest in what will come with the next AW but given my Fitbit involvement (have an Aria as well) and the ever increasing cost of Apple stuff, I'm going to try the Ionic  (had the Blaze before switching to AW). I'll miss some apps and Siri on my wrist but think I'll adapt Smiley Happy

@SunsetRunner about the strikethru... lets be clear its Fitbit raising prices: AW series 1 in 42mm size launched with $100 price drop versus series 0 (what I still wear), and kept $399 price point for series 2 but gained GPS and waterproofing. The 38mm sizes are $30 less. Meanwhile Fitbit dropped the top-of-the-line but long ago abandoned $250 Surge and introduced Ionic at higher price of $299.

I like what Fitbit accomplished with the Ionic, but I'm not getting one. Really happy with the original series 0 AW and it ends the day with around 40% battery. I didn't have any issues with battery when trying out sleep tracking with it, but I found sleep tracking of no practical value and stopped doing it. Things I've come to rely on with AW and missing from Ionic:

- being able to reply to texts and Skype, and I use both everyday

- turn-by-turn directions on the wrist, heavily used that last week while driving a rental car for 3 days on a business trip in Colorado

- taking important phone calls when my hands are busy, surprisingly use this every couple of days

- unlocks my laptop at least 10 times a day

- its possible to track weight lifting by following my own guided routine with sets/reps/weight tracking on the watch, still not possible with Fitbit Ionic or even manually logging

- as a cyclist/swimmer/skier the AW is not focused on steps, and I get 'three ring' credit from long bike rides (5-16 hour endurance events) without wearing watch 

Happy that hardcore Fitbit step counting/challenge fans will finally have a chance to own a smartwatch, I think you'll like paying for things with your wrist (love that about AW). I'd really like to try Ionic, but still waiting for Fitbit to add proper support for cycling. And by that I mean Fitbit allowing cycling as a way to estimate VO2max/CardioScore (why only runs?), and supporting external Bluetooth power/cadence/HR sensors. 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Rather than start a new feature request thread just for the Iconic, why not ask the moderators to combine the two threads mentioned in the previous post so that the number of votes goes up?

This way the engineering team will see that having a sleep mode and night time mode is needed for ALL of Fitbit products rather than just one device.

BTW, how many votes are needed before the engineering team gets a wake up call? 10,000? 100,000?

Best Answer

This is an answer, but not the answer to the question that he asked.  The answer to what he asked is a simple "NO", sadly.  Turning that off every night and on every morning is a pain in the @$$ and it should have a simple adjustment for nighttime on/off.  Sad that for $300 this could not be added as a feature.

Best Answer

@PureEvil wrote:

@steveting99,

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure that the device itself doesn't actually know that you're sleeping...  Fitbit does not determine that you were sleeping until you sync and it analyzes the data from your tracker.  The tracker itself doesn't behave any differently.

All it would need was an option in settings to  turn off quick view between certain hours that people could set to suit their needs, like 10pm - 6am.  

Best Answer

Noting there will be access to the screen and clock APIs, I'm betting something can be put together app-wise. Just have to wait until the SDK release before I start getting my coding fingers dirty...

Best Answer
0 Votes