Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to setup the Ionic on a Windows 10 computer

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My wife bought me an Ionic for Christmas.  I am unable to complete the setup.  I get to the stage where I input the four digit code and then I get the message finishing... but nothing happens.

I have removed all previous trackers.  Turned Bluetooth on and off.  Restarted modem/router.  Uninstalled, reinstalled the app from the windows store.  I have reset the ionic by holding down the left and bottom key.  

On the Fitbit app I currently have the message:

tracker needs set up

we're having trouble syncing your tracker.   Set it up again to connect it to your account

OK

The Windows 10 app shows the ionic with full battery and "update available.  Clicking on it shows Synced yesterday, version 20.16.22  Update your tracker.  

but when I do this and get the "a few things to know before updating your Fitbit ionic... and I click on the right-pointing arrow, I eventually get the message "could not complete your Fitbit ionic update"

I can't seem to get wifi setup to work either, clicking on it, I get the "select the Wifi network you want Ionic connect to", and then the error message "We were not able to find or connect to your Ionic" OK.  

I have tried removing the ionic and reinstalling it, and I get back to the four-digit number to input.

Apart from that the ionic screen just scrolls through the Hi get started at messages in different languages.

I have tried Chatting with FitBit staff four times, and still no success in setting up my ionic.  

So now I am trying forums.  Thank you.

kind regards and happy new year

Stuart

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

I wonder if I will be following in your footsteps in a couple of months?

I loved the Ultra.  My first Amazon purchase back in June 2012.  Alas, it did not survive its second or third trip through my washing machine.  In 2014 my wife and I got a couple of Flex's and the aria scales.  My wife upgraded to the Charge 2 the day it was released in stores in Australia.  My flex fell off my wrist in December 2016 and I became Fitbitless, stuck on just under 12,000,000 steps.  I've been waiting for a device like the Ionic to be released, and my wife got me one for Christmas.  

I had no expectation that the setup would be so time-consuming and frustrating.  I had four online chats with Fitbit support before they decided to escalate my case.  While I waited for an email, I started reading these forums and methodically I was able to finally setup my Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just used my phone way easier that way.  Just for future reference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been struggling with my Ionic as well.  Let's just say this **ahem** show will be make for a memorable Fathers Day weekend.  I think I'm in the clear on step 3 with a 60% wall of blue.  Trying not to get my hopes up.... one more disappointment and I may smash this Ionic with a freaking hammer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have a Windows 10 laptop and every time I've had to set up my Ionic, I've never had any issues.  You might want to make sure that:

1.) You have the Fitbit app downloaded on your computer and it's up to date

2.) That you have a built-in Bluetooth on the computer, if not, you will need to buy a Dongle (mine is built-in)

3.) The computer is plugged in, as the update can take a while (I've often had my computer die on me and had to restart the process all over again)

4.) That the Ionic is plugged into the computer, because, just like on the computer, the updates and setup process can often take a while (sometimes up to an hour or more depending on how tied up the servers are and how big the update is)

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I thought I'd add another potential solution. I wasn't able to get either Win 10 nor Android Turbo to set up my Ionic and was on a chat text with support for at least 90 minutes to no avail. Even tried factory setting. I was advised to send it back, as the support person assumed it was something wrong with the watch.  What solved my problem was to use an iPhone for setup.  I didn't even turn off the Droid or the Win 10 bluetooth devices. The watch was not close to the WiFi but I did keep it close to the phone.  Just did the normal steps on set-up and it worked.  What it also did was connect my account and device to my Win 10 fitbit app as well as the droid's.  I have no idea how that magic occurred, but both are synching automatically.  When I saw Shalmer's post, I thought I would attempt a few last tries. And yes the watch update took about 30 minutes; now on the Windows10 app, ionic now is showing version 31.1.16. as opposed to a 21.x.x something I  believe.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It seems so odd that you have to turn off other devices to get my Ionic to sync; it seems very cumbersome.  I was provided a new Ionic because it would not sync or play music but it does still does not sync.  Fitbit really needs to get this fixed.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Karine66,

I couldn't agree more. I'm done with Fitbit. Mine gave out less than a year after purchase.

I went through the same thing when I purchased the Icon (I think that's what it was called) They did replace that one but same type issues. I got tired of playing with it to get it to charge. This new one just stopped charging altogether in less than a year of use. I never swam with it. Took care of cleaning it but to no avail. I'm going to look at other products to help me continue to stay on track.

Good Luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes