Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

If the slow reaction of the ionic recall and refund is the sign of Fitbit downfall, what will be the use of buying 40% discount of Fitbit smart watches, because anyhow if they close down the company in the near future, your 40% discount smart watches will become only a simple useless digital watch. 

Best Answer

Just pat us all the refund  you promised  it's nor rocket science  3 to 6 weeks  you said 18 weeks serval  phone calls and still nothing get it sorted 

Best Answer

i have been since March 23 waiting with no resolution.  and different stories from everyone i talk to.  

Best Answer

Have you all received your refund? I mailed back my Ionic in mid-May, and it was received/delivered on the 23rd of May. Almost 8 weeks later, I am still waiting for my refund!! 

The call support is not helpful at all, as they state that "there is a delay in releasing and processing the funds, but we don't know when you will get it, but you will" 

Best Answer

I have been using my fitbit ionic since 2019. It has been working fine until I recently went for 30 min swim in sea water. Still battery, sensors, single tap on screen to wake the device is working but, it is not responding to swipes. 

I am only left with an option to stare at the screen and do nothing.

Things i have already done:

• Cleaned it thoroughly.
  • Restarted/Reset with buttons.

Could anyone provide some guidance?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@baba093  your Ionic is under a recall - click to read more

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

thanks @Odyssey13 for this Information . I wasn't aware.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did the full recall process, was told I'd receive an email with a refund in 3-6 weeks. That was 7-8 weeks ago!! I have received nothing except for an empty wrist!  Are people receiving their refunds or was it just a big push to get the watches out of service and then not follow through w the actual refund? 

Best Answer

I received email. But the link for virtual card does not open. Tried on laptop phone As u mention call centre is not help full at all. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The team handling fulfillment for refunds does not seem to be empowered to help me through my issues. My PayPal refund was a "failed transaction" three months ago, and I've called every week since then and have yet to speak to a soul who knows what to do about it. Is there somewhere else I can get help?

Best Answer

It's been four months since I returned my Ionic due to a recall. Fitbit never informed me that my reimbursement was coming from a third party. When I contacted them about the matter three months ago, I was directed to another company to handle the problem and Im still waiting. This is not the service I expected for Fitbit!

Best Answer

100 percent agree with you.  I am in the same exact boat.  Returned my Ionic (which I loved)  ordered 2 more Fitbit devices including the Sense while waiting for the refund.  fast forward from March 23 to today.  No refund.  many frustrating dead end phone calls.  Spent more money on the new devices and still have not gotten what the RECALL said we would get.  No idea what is needed in order to get what we were told we would get.  Beyond done with this company

Best Answer

Here, anyone tried contacting the someone high up, this third party company dealing with this are dealing Fitbit a pr disaster

Moderator Edit: Word choice.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, I am in similar position. My PayPal refund apparently failed on 7th
April. I did not receive any communication about this. I called to be told
it had failed and the reason is they spelt my PayPal email incorrectly. Now
I am held up in a queue and told that my case is escalated. It is now 17
weeks of patient waiting for money that is mine. They disabled my watch
promptly.

I say no more. Silence is golden and more effective.

Good luck to all and myself.

I am in Australia.
Best Answer

Same here HeartSufferer. I'm in Australia and registered for my refund on March 5th. Follow up almost weekly and it's just one pointless interaction after another with their lackeys in the call centre. What an absolute shemozzle!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had to return my Ionic 2 times and never got it to work the way it was
advertised too. I was happy when I saw the recall I sent the watch back and
now I am playing a waiting game.
My feelings have totally soured against Fitbit. My next watch will be from
another company I am done
Best Answer

My experience with Fitbit over this Ionic debacle has been painful.

I registered for my refund on March 5th. Since then, it has been nothing short of an absolute shambles. It is the most sub-standard, embarrassing and downright awful customer service I have ever had the misfortune to engage with in my life.

And that's saying something, because one time, I went to a Mcdonald's and ordered a 9-pack of McNuggets and a Happy Meal and when I checked the bag, they left out the McNuggets. I was pretty miffed about this turn of events, let me tell you! So I went back to the counter and they gave me my McNuggets. When I sat down and got out the meals, I noticed that they had given me sweet and sour sauce when I specifically asked for BBQ *face palm*. So then I had to go back and get the BBQ sauce. At this point, I was getting a little hot under the collar. I do not go to Mcdonald's and pay $8.75 for a meal to then get treated like a second-class citizen! But I digress....I returned to my table with my BBQ sauce and settled in for the meal before me. But alas! When I opened my Happy Meal box, not only had they put in an OJ pop-top instead of a Moove chocolate milk box but they had also left out the toy!! 😡 Now at the risk of showing my age, this was in the late 80's (not that I'm holding a grudge...) and the happy meals featured Fraggle Rock toys. I was collecting the set and only needed the cucumber car with Boober and Wembley Fraggle driving. So anyway, they forgot to put a toy in and suffice to say I was furious. When I returned to the counter to convey my displeasure (and then ask nicely if I could get the Boober/Wembly cucumber car toy) I was then informed they had run out and only had Red Fraggle driving the radish car. I mean seriously, what kind of two-bit organisation were Mcdonald's running in 1988? Amiright guys?? At this juncture in time I was nothing short of apoplectic with rage, but I took the Red Fraggle in the radish car just to spite them. This was at a time where waste reduction and carbon footprint wasn't really a thing and I thought if I took the toy, even though it was wasteful and I didn't need it, it would ultimately eat into their bottom line. So where was I.....oh yes, I went back to my meal and it had gone cold while I was gone and so I threw it in the bin and then went home for a pot noodle and a water.

So my point is, my current dealings with Fitbit has been infinitely worse than this experience outlined above. Never ever will I buy a Fitbit again, which is a pity because I've been loyal to this company for over a decade. I actually rate Fitbit devices really highly but will never get one again based on this current experience and on principle. Do better Fitbit and give me my refund. Please!

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer

Hello, I've been waiting for almost 8 weeks and I did not receive any refund. I did all the process, My Fitbit Ionic is no longer synchronizing and I sent my Paypal account.

What is happening ?

Amauri
Best Answer
0 Votes

After doing all the necessary paperwork I still don't have an answer to my refund. I supported Fitbit over 8 years now. Did anyone get their refund as yet from South Africa?

Without the device it now affects my medical Vitality status 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This rebate process is the worst experience ever.  They say you will get money for disconnecting your watch but you get nothing.  Will for sure switch to another brand.  

Best Answer