Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking circles in an elevator

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was trying to keep a long lunchtime walk going all the way back to my desk, so I kept walking by going in circles in the elevator.  It gave me undeserved stair climbs.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you don't walk, it won't count stairs in an elevator, but it is nearly impossible to differentiate between walking a (circular) stair and walking in an elevator, you (and Fitbit) can't prevent that.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

The altimeter works on air pressure, so what you do is irrelevant. It will say you climbed stair if the air pressure rises, if you climb stairs or use an elevator. So dont sweat about it!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

As @NellyG says, it gives a floor if it detects a rise in elevation of 10 feet based on changes in air pressure. However, it will not give the floor if it thinks you are not moving or if you pause during the rise. This is to rule out getting floors in an elevator. As you were walking in the elevator to keep your walk going it counted them.

Best Answer

@SteveH Ahhh thats interesting!  I didnt realise it was that smart!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

If you don't walk, it won't count stairs in an elevator, but it is nearly impossible to differentiate between walking a (circular) stair and walking in an elevator, you (and Fitbit) can't prevent that.

Best Answer

I know I shouldn't but I really couldn't help it.  The OP had me in hysterics as did @fluxx response, sorry.

Best Answer

I thought it was funny too.

Best Answer