Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty replacement process

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I don't know if it is specific to Ionic or customer service in general by the warranty replacement turnaround is unacceptable.  Years ago when I had a warranty return on a Surge it was incredibly smooth and fast.  They shipped the replacement immediately 2nd day air, taking my credit card info just in case I didn't return my original Surge for which they sent a shipping label.  Now that I am having to return my Ionic for replacement it's going to take a month.  They sent me a Smartpost shipping label to return the Ionic.  I didn't realize Smartpost was as slow as it is or I would have shipped it by another method at my own expense.  Anyway it's going to take it 2 weeks to arrive via Smartpost.  They won't ship the replacement until they confirm the receipt.  I can only assume the replacement will be shipped back to me via the same slow method, so I am looking at a month without my device.  Come on Fitbit, why the procedural change?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

That's better than my process.  They didn't even send me a label, so I had to ship it at my own expense.  Then, two days after they received it, they requested my "shipping info" so they could process the return (even though my info has been on every piece of correspondence, including the return receipt in the box I sent).  So who knows when and how the replacement will be sent. 

And, of course, all this started after a full week of the support team trying to solve my problem (no syncing and losing time) before giving up and just processing the replacement.  I'm now at the end of week 3 of no watch... if the new one has the same problems (which the forums indicate might be highly likely) I'm done.

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem, I feel like I'm back in the stone age. 13 days shipping, five days just to confirm they received it, and an expected 13 days shipping back, a total of 31 day turn-around for their product defect.  This kind of costumer service is what kills companies. I wonder if the CEO knows about this return turn-around time. I'm curious, did you ever get your Ionic back? 

Best Answer

Yes, I got it back, finally.  No problems since.  I just don't understand the change in procedure that causes such a long turnaround. Very poor customer service in that regards.

Best Answer
I researched Smartpost. Smartpost claims that it averages 2.5 days for
delivery but I found a lot of data contrary to their claims. I imagine they
drive Flintstone type delivery trucks

--
"You are the music while the music lasts"
*T.S. Eliot*
Best Answer

Update 7/13/18

Still no replacement watch.  Just discovered the Fitbi Aria scale (google it) that I purchased is just as inaccurate as the iconic watch.  Lol.

Update 6/24/18

No refurbished watch has arrived after 20 days.  I guess it takes time to piece together refurbished Ionic watches with the lowest quality components that will allow it to limp to the 1-year warranty date.  After two weeks of research, I purchased a watch from one of Fitbit's competitors.  I'm happy with my purchase.  The first update was flawless and took 15 minutes!  All the function works: GPS, cell phone notification, fitness and sleep tracking, and highly accurate heart rate monitoring (Did you know Fitbit just lost a court case for millions of dollars because their watches heart rate monitor function is inaccurate? Maybe the quality of their watch's components has decreased because they have to settle that case?)  Not my concern anymore since I purchased a Fitbit competitor's fitness watch,  I've lost 5 pounds using its motivating watch functions.    

----------------------

Update 6/11/18

I spent 4.5 hours trying to fix a dead defective watch using suggestions from Fitbit Community Support and one hour and twenty minutes creating, editing and emailing six videos of my attempts to troubleshoot the dead device to FitBit's Chatroom Tech Support - LOL. Good one Fitbit! Will my video become part of a comedy sketch of a gullible consumer who troubleshoots a dead watch for free while being supervised by a paid technician who knows the watch is dead? OMG Fitbit, add "Looney Toons" cartoon music to my troubleshooting video, and you may win a comedy award! Like Spielberg, my technician requested videos of my fingers, device, and computer in different positions and at different angles. Did I mention the only way I could get the shipping label was if I emailed the videos? Did I mention this was the first time I created a one-handed cellphone video while my other hand was pressing the watches reset button combinations? Did I mention I had to do it while online with a technician? After one hour and twenty minutes, the technician reluctantly accepted my first video and emailed me the shipping label. I received a courtesy email a few days later stating that it will take 3 to 5 days for FitBit to receive "their" smartwatch back, and upon receipt, I will be notified of the next steps. NEXT STEPS?! (Sounds more like a serious medical procedure instead of a simple product replacement). My emailed reply was "No worries. Take your time. I'm researching watches sold by Fitbit's competitors." What do I expect from Fitbit? I lowered my expectations bar to a few inched below the Earth's surface. I suppose I will be sent a refurbished defective watch to replace my original defective watch in more than 30 days with a few scratches on the watch face and a little dirt under the band. The replacement watch will barely function and die at midnight on the warranty expiration date.

-------------Original Post 6/4/18

I'm weaning myself off fitbit because my $300 fitbit Ionic's screen went black on 6/4/18 after six months. Here's my story: The watch's alarm woke me at 5 am. I got out of bed and tapped the screen to check the time, and the screen was unresponsive. I tapped a few more times, did a reset, and then I went online to check the Fitbit website. Apparently, this is a common problem with the Ionic. I spent an hour and twenty minutes communicating with Fitbit tech support. Tech support required that I record, edit and email videos to show how I troubleshot their product before they would acknowledge that I could not repair their product for them. It took me over an hour to shoot and edit six videos while online with tech support! I was eventually emailed a shipping label to mail back the Ionic, but I had to purchase a $3 packing envelope to mail back the Ionic. Fitbit's warranty policy implies that Fitbit can replace the faulty and working parts of my Ionic with components from another Ionic or send me a refurbished Ionic. Fitbit's warranty is for only one year, so, the refurbished watch has to last for another six months.  As I wait for another product, I'm reevaluating my need for a fitness watch. With so many useful apps, do I need to a $300 shoddy quality fitness watch that has difficulty syncing and updating? The last update took me 5 hours over three days to complete! My phone and its apps have everything I need with fewer headaches, lower cost, and fewer problems. I've been Fitbit user since 2011, but sometimes you have to know when to walk away.

Best Answer

My understanding is with Smartpost, Fedex/UPS delivers to the local regional post office which handles delivery from there.  In our area, the post office itself can't even deliver across town in 2.5 days.Smiley LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fedex states transit times are typically 2-7 days:

http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/outbound.html

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've just been through the process and it's unacceptable and amazing that Fitbit is already hemorrhaging customers.  Once the nonfunctional item arrives at Fitbit, it can take a week to confirm receipt.  Once they get around to doing that and processing the order for the replacement, they do overnight it.

I did FedEx mine back and they will reimburse (in a couple weeks) the cost. 

Inexcusable, considering your experience with your Surge, which I what I've experienced from most companies.  

Best Answer
13 days today makes 14, it sounds like this might be the norm
--
*T.S. Eliot*
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi.

It took Fitbit less than a second to grab my money and a month to replace a
defective product. Will a month be added to the warranty period? Will a
month of online Premium Service be refunded? I've been using Fitbit and
its premium service since 2011. I can't put in words how disappointed I am
with the company and its product. I think the deception (selling me a
defective product, making me spend hours updating a defective product before
I am given a shipping label and forcing me to create, edit and email back
six videos of me attempting to troubleshoot a known defective Fitbit
product) hurts more than the loss of $500. For seven years I've supported
the Fitbit company and its products, not anymore. I'm done.

Best Answer

Sadly I am in the same boat.  I am a longtime fitbit user - love the devices and encourage everyone to go fitbit when looking for fitness trackers.

I received an Ionic as a birthday gift (after begging and explaining why a $300 fitness tracker was necessary) and was able to use it for two days until it became a brick.  It had 1/2 charge in the morning and then by 11 it was not only dead but would not charge.  I called fitbit and they encouraged me to return it to them through a warranty replacement instead of returning it to the store, since I had a good warranty experience in the past I did not have a reason to doubt the process would be smooth.  17 days later I am still without a device.  I have spent many hours over chat talking with their support technicians before they would offer me a warranty replacement if I created a video.  I then had to initiate another chat to move the process along - over chat they said that they were not able to download my video (it was sent as an online link not a downloadable file).  After the video was finally able to be viewed I was issued a return label.  I asked about timeframe since this was a BRAND NEW device (honestly, I hadn't even had to recharge it after the initial charge).  They told me the time frame and I was absolutely shocked.  When I asked about why I was told it would be easier to use the warranty replacement instead of returning at the store I was promised expedited shipping.  My device shipped out on May 23rd and was received by fitbit on June 4th.  After talking with them this afternoon they said I have to wait another 5-7 business days for it to be processed through their shipping department.

On top of it all, today I was told that I am going to be getting a refurbished device sent back to me.  At this point I just feel like a sucker for trusting the fitbit company.

Needless to say I am beyond dissapointed. I really like fitbit's devices and mobile apps but not happy with how they treat their longtime loyal customers.

Best Answer
I was notified that Fedex Smartpost still hasn't delivered the Ionic to
the Fitbit facility. Fitbit says it will arrive there on June 8th making it
16 day shipping. I've been emailing them everyday and I now suggested that
Fedex has probably lost the package and that they need to do the right
thing and take care of their customer first and send a replacement and then
deal with Fedex as appropriate. I'll post if I get anywhere.

--
*T.S. Eliot*
Best Answer

Same experience here except I had to ship it back at my expense! Now the refurbished replacement doesn’t work.  I’m done with FitBit

Best Answer

That is so frustrating...

Best Answer

Fitbit finally received the Ionic I sent in to be replaced on June 7, making it a 15 day delivery from Minnesota to California. Smartpost is not the way to ship items. Fitbit apologized for the delay and confirmed getting the Ionic the day it arrived, and expedited the shipping back, it's to arrive on June 12. This would be a 20 day turn around if it shows up tomorrow. I emailed nearly every day to costumer service and once to another department. Phone calls are useless and difficult to keep a record of them. I'll keep this post updated.

I got my Ionic Fitbit back yesterday, it was a 20 day turn around, not 30
days but very slow and frustrating. I e-mailed them nearly everyday,
expressing my frustration and asking them to put the customer first instead
of Fedex. Fitbit got my Ionic on June 7 They processed the Ionic after a
few days and expedited it back and I received it on June 12. It synced
quickly and without problems to I-phone and wifi. It's working well. I
don't know if it was a refurbished one or not and I don't know why the
other Ionic stopped working. I'm glad this process is over:)

--
*T.S. Eliot*

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

If it came in original sealed packaging it was probably new, any other packing a refurb.

Best Answer

I’m in the middle of the same fiasco. I had a number of issues with my FitBit Ionic (counting phantom steps- as others have noted in forums). They sent the Smart Post pre-paid shipping label, I mailed it, and on the day it was supposed to be delivered (through FedEx), the delivery date changed to the next day. On the next day, it wasn’t delivered and the status changed to “Delivery pending: delivery date unavailable.” I contacted the FitBit customer service and they told me they talked to FedEx and it was in transit (with no clear delivery date in site). They said once it arrived, plus five days to process the return, they would mail the replacement. At this point, the soonest I could possibly have an Ionic back is 3 weeks after I sent it. And looking at this forum, it seems like 3 weeks isn’t going to happen. It ridiculous that they have such a rigid policy for sending replacements that only makes the customer want to give up on FitBit all together (seeing as you go weeks without it anyway). In the past, when I had a defective watch, they would send a replacement quickly without needing to return the defective one first. It seems there are many better policies or options that would better accommodate the customer, ensure that the original watch is sent back, and not leave them without a watch for almost a month.

I’m in the middle of the same fiasco. I had a number of issues with my FitBit Ionic (counting phantom steps- as others have noted in forums). They sent the Smart Post pre-paid shipping label, I mailed it, and on the day it was supposed to be delivered (through FedEx), the delivery date changed to the next day. On the next day, it wasn’t delivered and the status changed to “Delivery pending: delivery date unavailable.” I contacted the FitBit customer service and they told me they talked to FedEx and it was in transit (with no clear delivery date in site). They said once it arrived, plus five days to process the return, they would mail the replacement. At this point, the soonest I could possibly have an Ionic back is 3 weeks after I sent it. And looking at this forum, it seems like 3 weeks isn’t going to happen. It ridiculous that they have such a rigid policy for sending replacements that only makes the customer want to give up on FitBit all together (seeing as you go weeks without it anyway). In the past, when I had a defective watch, they would send a replacement quickly without needing to return the defective one first. It seems there are many better policies or options that would better accommodate the customer, ensure that the original watch is sent back, and not leave them without a watch for almost a month.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

8/12/2018 - Update

A replacement Fitbit in a new package arrived today (8/12/18) in the mail two and a half months after returned Fitbit's defective.  I purchased a competitors replacement watch and scale three-weeks after I returned Fitbit's product.  All my old fitbit products are in a garbage bag. I'll give it to someone I don't like as a birthday gift.  I'll never purchase anything from Fitbit again.

8/4/2018 - Update

I began my Fitbit Replacement Journey on June 6, 2018, when I sent them back "their" defective product.  On July 25, I received an email stating that "their" defective Fitbit Ionic was received 7-weeks after I sent it!  The email stated "Hi Teresa,  We've recently received your item at our warehouse.  We'd like to proceed in providing you with a replacement. In order for us to do so, please provide the following information: name, address, phone number. We look forward to hearing from you. Let us know if you have any questions. Sincerely, Nichole Q. and the Fitbit Team."  I sent them the required information.   My expectations for a replacement Fitbit Ionic are low.  I expect that the defective Ionic I returned will be dismantled, all the expensive and functions parts will be removed, and I'll get a replacement watch composed of defective and old parts. This refurbished watch will be sent to me with scratches and dirt under the wrist strap, and will barely make it to the original 1-year warranty period, which expires in December 2018.  I was a faithful Fitbit user for 7-years and spend thousands of dollars on their products.  Never again will I purchase or encourage friends and enemies to purchase Fitbit Products.  I know Fitbit sold me a known defective product, refused to send me a shipping return label unless I created and edited videos of me attempting to repair their known defective device (which took three hours of my time), and then emailed me a return shipping label that Fitbit  KNEW was slow (7-weeks).  LOL - I've got to laugh at the $1000 fraud committed by Fitbit against me or else I would cry.  

--

June 6, 2018 - Fitbit Replacement Journey because I was sold a known defective Ionic from Fitbit.  I purchase two Ionics and with Bluetooth headphones!  I'm out of $1,000!  Two defective Ionics ($300 each) and two Bluetooth headphones ($149/each), and I can't forget to add the dongle ($6.96).  Fitbit burned me good!  Never again!   

Best Answer
Did you ever get the replacement?
Best Answer
0 Votes