Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Bug With Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Any updates from Fitbit on fixing the Wifi bug with the Ionic?  Although the sync issues have seemed to tame down I still cannot connect to Wifi - tried everything - calling support, turning on and off bluetooth, reinstalling the app, the device, factory reset, etc, etc.... Nothing works.  My network has a very strong signal and is personal not enterprise and I am able to connect any other device to it except the Ionic.

Thought maybe I had a faulty device but I tried another Ionic and had the same exact issue of not being able to connect to Wifi.

Anyone have similar issues and is anyone aware if Fitbit is working on a fix specifically to Wifi connectivity?

Best Answer
45 REPLIES 45

I have totally no problems with Wifi!

i did firmware update niet WiFi.

i connect within the developer to WiFi within seconds!

so try yre watch on another WiFi network

Best Answer

Camperguy,

Are you using an 802.11ac network or 5 GHz only 802.11n network?  I have been able to use my Ionic on a 2.4 GHz wireless network, but the Ionic absolutely cannot see or connect to 5 GHz networks.  It looks like the Ionic only supports legacy 2.4 GHz devices, which will only be 802.11n or older.  5 GHz 802.11n and all 802.11ac wireless networks (which are 5 GHz only) require devices that support 5 GHz.  It appears the Ionic does not.

Best Answer

@camperguy01 Please make sure you are connected to a 2.4 GHz wireless frequency. It's the only frequency that is compatible with Ionic. Are you trying to transfer music to Ionic?

@peteer01 wrote:

Camperguy,

Are you using an 802.11ac network or 5 GHz only 802.11n network?  I have been able to use my Ionic on a 2.4 GHz wireless network, but the Ionic absolutely cannot see or connect to 5 GHz networks.  It looks like the Ionic only supports legacy 2.4 GHz devices, which will only be 802.11n or older.  5 GHz 802.11n and all 802.11ac wireless networks (which are 5 GHz only) require devices that support 5 GHz.  It appears the Ionic does not.

Best Answer

Yes this is 2.4 not 5. Others are reporting wifi connectivity issues. Is fitbit acknowledging there is an obvious wifi bug with many customers? Are they working on a solution? I am an experienced IT professional. I know how to set up networks. No other devices connected to my network have problems. Any help to fix this obvious bug would be appreciated.

Best Answer

@camperguy01 wrote:

Yes this is 2.4 not 5. Others are reporting wifi connectivity issues. Is fitbit acknowledging there is an obvious wifi bug with many customers? Are they working on a solution? I am an experienced IT professional. I know how to set up networks. No other devices connected to my network have problems. Any help to fix this obvious bug would be appreciated.

I must have missed those reports from "many customers". Mine set up fine, with no problems, as the majority have. Some that are on secured networks that need the MAC address first had some difficulty.

I assume that as an IT Professional, you've tried this on a different network? That you tried two Ionics on your network would indicate there's an issue on your wifi side, not a systemic bug in the Ionic. 

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@camperguy01 Thanks for confirming that you're attempting to connect to a 2.4 GHz band. I didn't see you mention whether you've tried connecting to another network outside of your home's network. I recommend giving that a try and letting me know the results. I recommend a friend's house, a free, open public network as well. Looking forward to hearing how that testing turns out.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Glad you were able to set yours up fine but yes MANY others are having
issues with wifi. Check this forum posts and how many have returned their
Ionics.
Best Answer

ya, this thing does not work well...

sadly the beta firmware appears worse, which my device is now stuck on until a new release comes out. Guess i should not have wanted to make some apps 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

These are the first two posts I’ve seen on this topic so it’s not an issue I was familiar with before now. There is another thread relating to the sort of key that was used on a WiFi Network by another customer. Are you using WEP or WPA2 keys?

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had mine 7 days an it will sync but no Wi-Fi for up dates. How i sloved my problem which you might try is this Go to a non password protected WF-FI finally worked after trying password protected an no working for 7 days then going to a non protected WiFi

SharonLDurham I have: Surge,Ionic LG Phone with Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
Non password protected WiFi works best in setting up an up daten ionic.
Best Answer
0 Votes

camperguy01: How did you turn your ionic off? Mine has long battery life which i love but will not shut off. Help what do i do? 

Ps. How do i get or add friends?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Swipe on yre screen to the left till you see settings. Scroll down to About and select.

you Will find several options, one of them is shut down the Ionic.

press one if the buttons to activate again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

If the Ionic only connects to unprotected WiFi, that's definitely a problem and is an unacceptable solution. I've been unable to setup my new Ionic because it will not connect to my 2.4 ghz wifi despite all attempts to troubleshoot. For a $300 device, this is ridiculous. I am returning mine. 

Best Answer

Maybe you can try first another WiFi network!

Thousands Ionic’s are now connected to WiFi networks, so Maybe there is another issue, who knows?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've troubleshooted enough for a $300 watch. Who knows, maybe there IS another issue. Its not worth my time to pursue it anymore. Its going back. 

Best Answer

I had to try to connect about 6 or 7 times before it connected. Best result for me was taking off the watch and sitting it next the the router. I think there is a range issue (at least on Android). Have not tried it with latest app from Google Play store recently released.

We all know I'm sure 5Ghz does not (unfortunately) work. My networks are secure and not open.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still doing updates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Come on TerryKN, you don’t want to be an alpha tester for a $300 Watch? Hahaha.

mine connects fine initially and then I can never use it (to transfer music, update to new software etc etc).

Best Answer