Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epsom Salts Dangerous?

I was looking for a natural/inexpensive way to manage sore muscles. I read that an Epsom Salt bath was both effective and safe for sore muscles. I used the minimum amount of salts in my bath. I only took one bath using Epsom Salts. I believe the bath was around 20 minutes.

What I discovered

Epsom Salts really do absorb through the skin (I swear I could feel it absorbing)

Epsom Salts are an extremely effective laxative and should not be used at all unless you are severely constipated. I wasn't constipated when I used them. I have had diarrhea for 3 days, coupled with bad stomach cramps.

The bath itself made me rather nauseous and very sleepy

What I did not know and is very important if you are considering using Epsom Salts they lower blood pressure and if you have low blood pressure as I do, you probably should not use them.

If you are constipated with high blood pressure they might work wonders.

Has anyone else had a negative reaction to Epsom Salts? How long was it before your digestive system returned to normal? Your blood pressure?

I don't take any sources of extra magnesium btw. I did not ingest Epsom Salts, I simply absorbed them in the bath.

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

I wonder if this isn't a strange coincidence, that you just got an intestinal bug causing diarrhea...

I don't want to argue about epsom salts being absorbed through the skin.  It is said that that is the way they help with sore muscles.

But epsom salts can only used to treat constipation orally.  They have to be within the gut, and there they attract water out of your body into the gut and so make the stool softer, or even fluid.  When the salts are IN your body (the contents of the intestine is part of the outside world - strange it may sound!) they can't push water into the intestine.

Ann... Belgium
Fitbit One (retired), Alta, Alta HR, Charge2 - Android app, Mac OS, Windows 10
Best Answer

Some people have extreme sensitivity to absorbing thing via the skin. Metal, salt and other substances can be tasted in mouth when touched. @SunsetRunner you might one of those people, thus you will need to go easy on the salts. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

I use them in my bath every day and never have a problem.  How much did you use @SunsetRunner?

Allie
Best Answer
I think an epsom salts bath is a great detox. Some of the symptoms you described might be the effects of the detox.
5K Every Day!
Best Answer

I just did an Epsom bath soak and have suddenly developed pretty intense diarrhea with cramps for 5 days now. If I eat, I go to the bathroom.  It crazy. I had never done an epsom salt bath before so I can't gauge it, but my experience sounds like yours. It did relax me and make me sleepy. But it's not worth it if this is what us going to happen every time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LibbiayersI'm sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same happened to me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apparently people don't know that if you drink it that it will flush your entire digestive system.  

I believe you.  It is probably ravaging you'r digestive system.  Either try less epsom salt or avoid it all together.  

I personally won't try it again.  Not worth it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would say it depends on the type of system one has. My mum has sworn to taking Epsom salts as a detoxing agent orally. Me on the other hand just tried it yesterday at around 4 in the morning and my system is still sensitive up until now. I would say stay away and try something that will help the system detox gradually...

Best Answer
0 Votes
You drank it?! Oh my magnesium sulfate will clean out your digestive tract. They had me drink it before a colonoscopy. Don't do it!!!!

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I use it in my foot bath machine and never have problems.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope, Epsom salt is not absorbed through the skin. There's a comprehensive discussion of it here, including looking at clinical trials. 

Best Answer

There is no evidence that Epsom salts are absorbed through the skin. The only way that Epsom salts affect bowel movements is when they are given by enema and then they are a good laxative. My former profession, massage therapy, spread the false information that Epsom salts relaxed muscles. Any relaxation comes from the hot water and not the dissolved Epsom salts.

Best Answer

very helpful, thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much for posting this and confirming this cycle for me! I’ve been using epsom salt baths for about a year and I just thought I had IBS but now I have connected it with the baths! I was having this thought today as I was having another “bout” and realized it started the day after the bath and then I remembered I had it happen last month right after I had a bath and finally dawned on me that all my stomach problems this last year have been from the baths! Then I saw your post. I had exact same symptoms and it takes about 5-6 days to start feeling better. I really had cramps and loose stools for two days. My gosh! What a relief. Won’t be taking them anymore. I have low blood pressure too. While it feels good while in it. Too much for me. Thank you, thank you🙏😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suffer from diarrhoea every time after an  Epsom salts bath,  so it's definitely not an intestinal bug issue.  I no longer use it anymore sadly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see its been several years since your post.. but still maybe it will help someone if i also share my expirience. 

I am pregnant and have muscle cramps, i read that epsom salt bath can help with that so i tried it yesterday for the first time. I didnt took any oraly, jus the bath, 1 cup of epsom salt for a full size bath, i set there 20 minutes. After an hour i started having most sirious nausia and diharria, i went to the bethroom all night with diharria, every 30 minutes. I didn't slept at all, puked twice and have strong noasia all the time. I dont believe its a food poisoning since me and my husband and my child ate the same thibgs all day and they dont have any simptom. 

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community forums, @Linanush

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with this, I'm sure it will be useful for other users as well. 😀 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

I realize this is an old post, but thankful it is still up here. I took an epson salt bath around 1030 am by 730 pm I was super sick with diarrhea. I did not ingest any, but took about a 30 minute soak. I understand it is a diuretic when taken orally, but why wouldn’t we consider that it can be absorbed through the skin? Think about HRT when applying a cream with estrogen.. or iodine drops?? Just a thought..

Best Answer
0 Votes