Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disclosure of personal information

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Would it be reasonable to state at the time of purchase and on the product packaging that the device cannot be used unless the user provides all of his health and location information to the manufacturer? Personally, I wouldn’t have bought the product if I had known this. Now if I don’t give out spatial data in addition to health data then I won’t get any data for myself. All the explanations for the weather and other necessities of spatial data are absolutely poignant.

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hi, @Jere100 , you can still use your Fitbit with disclosing health information.  I have been using Fitbit for years and have only given them my height, age, sex and weight.  Fitbit only needs this to help calculate calorie burn as accurately as possible.  If you don’t care about that, you can just give say anything to those questions.  Fitbit has no other information at all about my health unless I deliberately use, for example, the ECG or SPO2 app on some devices.  But the Fitbits works perfectly well if you do not use those features.  Just ignore them.

if you don’t turn on location services you obviously can’t use the weather app, but that is not required. Not turning on location services may cause some issues with syncing, but I believe that you can usually find work around - if you do experience difficulties related to that - depending on your phone you may not.

Of course, if you go around with a smart phone you are giving away a lot of location data even without that turned on, as you probably are aware.  Every time your phone pings to a tower it knows where you are.

if you bought your Charge 4 directly from Fitbit they have a 45 day return window for any reason.  If you bought it from another retailer you will need to consult their return policy.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Hi, thank you for the comment.
Every time I start to read my sleep data, it doesn't work unless the location data is turned on. This is really infuriating. Most of the data cannot be read without positioning.
I still maintain that Fitbit collects as much data as possible, which it then sells on. I understand that the phone locates me, but why would I have to share my location information with Fitbit as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Jere100 , I appreciate your experience.  However, this has not been my experience.  I do not need to have location turned on in order to get sleep data from Fitbit.  Maybe it would help to contact your cell phone provider?  

I hope you can get to the bottom of this!  I am confident that location turned on is not a Fitbit requirement to get sleep data.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes