Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I've had my fitbit flex for a couple of weeks and yesterday was the first time I made it to 10,000 steps.  I was so close that I had to keep going to make the magical 10,000.  My question is how in the world do people do this every day?  I ran errands twice and took the long way both times then walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes just so I could make it.  My normal going out of my way to walk places ends up around 5000 then up to 7000 with excersise.  How do people claiming 20,000 steps a day have time to work or do anything else except walk.  I think I'm going to change my goal to 8,000.

Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

As a waitress, 10,000 per day is easy.  On my days off, I really have to work on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I actually have done that! My thought process is that bouncing my legs and fidgeting a bit while at my desk is still movement, maybe not as great as actually walking, but it's something! I just have to remember when looking at my data what was from actually running or just fidgeting at my desk. 

I think the most important thing is not to get discouraged, any movement is better than none at all! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
And for those who easily get 10,000 that's probably their norm and they should be shooting for higher if they're trying to increase their fitness level or lose weight.
Best Answer

I an in a sedentary job so my step counts vary between 4000 - 6000 steps a day. The days that I work out, my step counts go up to about 8000 - 10000 steps a day. When I was on vacation in London, I actually was able to make it up to 25000 steps a day!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow, nice! I have to make extra effort on treadmill or outside to get to 10,000!
Best Answer
0 Votes
So, what you are saying is...to get to 25,000 steps we need to go to London for a holiday? Great! I’m with you on that one. London here I come! And after that, maybe Paris? Seriously though...walking around Bray Park is fun but does get a bit monotonous day after day so we try and find different routes to get over our 10,000 target.
Best Answer

Re hitting 20K:

1) Find treadmill speed that achieves 100 steps per minute (brisk walk).

2) 10 Minutes is 1K, one hour is 6K

3) Do your normal day of living/work (usually 5-8K for me...not a desk job)

4) 20K-8K eg done leaves 12K to be done on the treadmill...120 minutes eg

5) 2 Hours TV, music whatever TOTAL while on the treadmill...I break it up into chunks.

6) 20K achieved

All it takes is converting 120-150 minutes 'couch potato' time into 'treadmill potato' time...not hard once you get going.

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer
I've been noticing this on my Surge HR.
Just did a quick test - walked round the house counting 40 steps. Surge counted 6.
I go for a 6km walk a day and wondered why I struggle to get to 10k steps.
It's obviously cheating me out of steps!!!
Best Answer

I find that things like mowing and raking the lawn add on a lot of steps without realising. Only thing is that Fitbit thinks I am riding a bike when I do it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hitting 10K, or higher, is something you have to shoot for.  For those of us who work on our feet every day, it's a given, as I just try to keep moving (while getting my work done, I'm an engineer).  Plus I'm on a treadmill a lot, which adds a ton of steps.  If you drive a desk, then 10K or more can be problematic I guess, you just have to make a point to walk more when you're not doing your work tasks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The best way to get your steps registered is to do walking meditation that is to swing your arms in rhythm to your steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I work a desk job during the day so I make anywhere from 3-4K steps between 7am-5pm. I eat supper when i get home and then go for a walk till I reach 10K-12K steps. I have my goal set at 8k but i push to make 10 because it makes me feel accomplished 🙂 I've only reached 15000 steps twice so far but I'm trying to push myself to reach 20k!

Best Answer
I get my first 10,000 by dancing in place and meditating between midnight and 1:00 a.m. Meditation = 2 hrs of sleep so it's a win win...
Linda L. Smith
Best Answer
0 Votes

I can range anywhere from 4k (off days from work and rest days from exercise) to 20k (work days and exercise days). I do work retail, however with my job I am mostly confined to a 70 foot catwalk. So when I push myself and we are slow I pace back and forth. It motivates me that a bunch of us girls at work do challenges. Since they are on the floor helping customers, doing freight, etc, they easily get a lot more (7k) steps than me if I don't pace. I also do Leslie Sansone videos when I get home most days and while you don't get as many miles as the video is called because of the moves, I typically get anywhere from 1-4k steps from them. I've also learned to sneak in little bits of steps here and there. Like taking the folded laundry one piece at a time to be put up as I fold/hang it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I surpass 10k steps just at work alone. If I've had a day just above that then it means I've had a very lazy day lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

I realize this connent is several years old....but for angoan reading this ..I DO wear mine on my ankle.  It's very accurate and I easily get 10000 steps a day.  My average is 15000 and I'm a bank teller.  Because I wear it on my ankle, EVERY step is counted no matter what my hands are doing 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes